shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Shopping Tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
So, I just got engaged over the new year. Yay! I wish I could just enjoy being engaged for ahwile before planning, but I want to be married more, so I set a date for early August 2010. And I need to start looking for my dress right away. I have an appointment next week. I was hoping some of you might have some tips for me, such as what undergarments I should wear, which shoes, and anything else you can think of. Also, did you know exactly which style of dress you wanted before going to your appointment? I''m still a little clueless but pouring over magazines every night. Thanks for any advice you have!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Yay for dress shopping!

I would recommend nude color undergarments with a strapless bra, although, depending on the store, they may give you a corset to wear instead, and some dresses do not support a bra at all (for those, supporting cups would be sewn in later).

Don''t worry about shoes yet. The dress will be adjusted in length for your shoes at the fitting (after you purchase it).

As for the dresses, well, it does help the sales associate if you come in with an idea of what you would like -- shapes, materials, the look you are going for (e.g. dramatic, fairy tale princess, super-simple, flowy/organic, etc.). That said, I would keep an open mind and try on different styles, because you never know what will look best on your body. My wedding dress is very different from what I originally imagined, both in material and in shape.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I second what mscusion said. You should try to be open because there were some dresses that I almost did not try on because of what they looked like on the hangar. I think I ended up with one I almost didn''t put on. I brought a picture of the one I thought I''d walk out of the store with, and hated it the minute I stepped into it.

In addition, I''d ask what are the alterations costs upfront and figure out if you want your total budget to factor in that cost as well as the veil/blusher (if using). Those additional items and services could mean spending as much as $500+ more depending on the shop.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
The excursions that I went on where I just told the SA my deal breakers (and conversely the one thing I knew I wanted for sure- silk) were the most fun and eye-opening. I basically told them I didn''t want pick-ups or a big ball gown and then let them put me in what I thought would be flattering. The more trips I went on the more I learned about what looked best and what I didn''t like. It is the SA''s job to know what will flatter you based on your figure and then the next step is to try to satisfy your preferences.

I suppose what I''m trying to say (like Mscushion) is go in there with an open mind and humor the SA if you have the time. You never know what will look horrible on the hanger and awesome on you!

As far as shoes go- I didn''t bring any because I knew I would be wearing flats (DH is shorter than I am) but if you know you will wear heels bring in a pair. Your posture changes and so will the way a dress hangs on you when you are in heels.

Mscushion gave good advice for undergarments. I would avoid your skimpiest thong so you''re not showing it all off when you are in the changing room with the SA.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Some dresses have to be ordered cut to measure depending on the design of the bottom of the dress. I highly suggest bringing shoes in the heal height that you are going to wear especially if you don''t know the style of dress that you are getting. For example, my dress had a double ruffle at the bottom that could not be hemmed once the dress came in. I wore 5 and 1/2 inch heals and brought them with me the day I bought my dress. Even then, my dress came in two inches two short and the salon had to fix my dress to my liking because I ordered it that way.

Do you have a budget for your dress? If so, I can point you in the direction of designers that fall in that price range. I found the bridal mags never met my criteria. There are a ton of designers that are out there so best place to start looking is with designers in your budget.

I knew excactly what I was looking for when I bought my dress so my shopping experience didn''t take to long. I also knew my venue and the vision that I had for my wedding and made sure that my dress reflected that. I don''t know how far you are in the process but I can''t tell you how many times I''ve heard brides buy a dress and then buy another dress because they bought the dress before they booked the venue.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I agree with EM1 about knowing what your vision for the wedding is. It would help narrow down the selection a bit, and since there are sooooo many dresses out there, you need to narrow!
28.gif

Of course you can always plan your wedding around the dress, but that''s up to you. HAVE FUN!
36.gif

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Two bits of advice, one is to try everything they give you on. Wedding dresses in general look like butt when they''re on a hanger. You just can''t tell what it will do unless it''s on your body.

Second, only bring people that you are totally ok with hearing opinions from. I.e., people that you can trust to give real, thoughtful opinions and not people who go I LOVE THAT because they don''t want to hurt your feelings or I HATE THAT because they''re just straight nasty to begin with. Bring as few people as you can get away with. I did my best shopping with only my twin sister with me. Yes my mother was sort of disappointed she wasn''t there to see the dress I chose when I chose it, but I brought her back the next day and she was there with me when I bought it, and that was totally fine.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the great advice ladies. I just ordered myself a new strapless bra and some boy shorts :) My mom and two sisters will accompany me at least this first go around. I don''t want to spend more than $1,000 on the dress. I''d prefer to spend less, but I still want a stunning dress. I''d appreciate any recommendations you have EM1.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
In your price range Maggie Sottero and Casablanca are big names. If you are into silk, many of the Maggie''s can be ordered in the silk option. Casablanca has great lace and beading detail. I find that my friends who are into lacey gowns or having lace appliques of some sort end up with a Casablanca gown. Also check out Alfred Angelo and Mon Cheri.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I love Watters dresses, which start at $1000 for the WToo (says the website).

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions! I''ll be browsing their websites tonight!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Go in with an open mind and be willing to try something on you typically wouldn''t. A good SA will take it off pretty quickly if you don''t like it.

The store I went to provided shoes and a bra. I would just wear light colored undergarments just in case.

I am budgeting $500 for alterations. A lower cost dress can look expensive if it fits you well. When I give the SA my budget, tell her $500 less than what I really have.

Follow your gut and have fun!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Also look for Allure Bridals, Essence of Australia, and Sarah Danielle.

If you think you'll wear spanx, I'd bring em. Also, I think it's a good idea to have your hair somewhat like you'll be wearing it that day.. It doesn't have to be done, but if you think it'll be up wear it in a pony tail, if you plan on wearing it down then wear it down.

Have fun!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
To ditto ts44 a bit, I would take it a bit further and not bring anyone else along until you know the style you want. Even with people whose opinion you trust, they will still have their own opinions. And, chances are, you will respect these opinions. But, if you go once by yourself and decide that the dress absolutely, as an example, must (or must not) have a sweetheart neckline or must (or must not) have sleeves. Then, you can bring in the friends and family after these decisions have been made so they only consider those that meet your conditions.

Also, be prepared for everything to look different on you than it does in the magazine. Dresses you might have not even noticed might look stunning on you. Your favorite dress might be sadly designed with a woman a foot taller/shorter in mind. Give everything a chance at first except for the absolute dealbreakers.

Also, if you are modest, tell your associate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results