shape
carat
color
clarity

dress search update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so i went back to the couture sample sale to look at what I think is "the dress" and then to Kleinfelds. I wasn''t crazy about Kleinsfeld..too factory like and the dresses start at 3.5K and I didn''t see the quailty there as I had with the couture one.
Now I have a dilemma, do I keep looking or take the sample. Do I take the sample (around 2.5K with alterations) or have it made from scratch (4K) and maybe sell it. argh! Right now I''m leaning towards sample, but Ilove the idea of a dress made from scratch for me. The dress at full price is usually over 5K. And I''m sorry, no pics b/c I just plain forgot. To describe, it is a strapless, very flattering, elegant fitting dress--chantilly lace, silk organza--quite classic, but not necessarily poofy traditional dress..
thanks for listeninng..I can''t concentrate on anything today!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
EEK! Decisions decisions. Ultimately, do what your budget affords you
emwink.gif
. If you can afford new, then power to you. If that is a stretch, then there is nothing wrong with the sample. As long as you are in love with your dress, and how you look in it...nothing else matters! (so long as that doen''t put you in the poor house, LOL)

WISH you had pics. I love seeing everything!!!!!

Mela

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
well if i take it, i''ll certainly put pics up!

my budget dictates taking the sample (it''s 2K, maybe I can stretch it a little higher. In NYC 2K is very little, it''s sick, I know!). But I''m wondering if for another thousand it''s worth a brand new one, and then sell it.

but yes, decisions, decisions!!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a reason you couldn''t sell the sample after you wear it?

If you had a dress custom made the person who would be buying it from you after your wedding would need to be exact same size & shape as you or smaller and have it taken in. Also you would have it cleaned before selling. IMO buying a 2nd hand dress is buying a 2nd hand dress, you could probably get the same $$ selling either one after you wore it.

If the sample close to the size you wear? If so having some alterations would definitely get you the couture/custom fit.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Do what your budget can afford. It sounds like the sample is the way to go IMO. And there is no reason why you could not sell the sample later too
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the sample as well.
5.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
well i bought the sample! scary i just did it all in one shot. She says I can do the alterations 3 months before and referred me to madame poulette who apparently does all the top dresses/coutures (hopfully not too $$). I hope I''ve done the right thing. It was the 2nd dress I tried on and the 1st one was my second choice.
I think I got a great deal, full price was $5200, I got it for $1900 (taxes included). Of course still need to do alterations and buy a veil...but I can wait till my funds are replenished again before that!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Madame Paulette is CRAZY expensive- I had a Catharine Malandrino dress cleaned there, because it''s a v. delicate silk and I was nervous about taking it to my reg. cleaner and it was 120 for dry-cleaning.
23.gif

I used Anne Hamilton for alterations to my Amsale dress that I got at a sample sale. She was written up in NY mag and did my hem and bustle very well for a very reasonable price. Her contact info is here on her website, which isn''t anything fancy. She is really sweet and I think my SIL is having her drastically alter her V. Wang gown.

You can check out Madame P''s- it''s very hoity-toity, but I really didn''t care if I had my dress altered the same place Star Jones and Melania Trump had their dresses cleaned.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh...how exciting...congrats! Is there a website pic you can refer us to so we can see? Who''s the designer? I''m so excited for you! Getting the sample was the right way to go, I think.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks facet! the designer is esther couture..not as much a household name, but i found her stuff to be similar to vera wang but not as expensive. here''s her website and I got one of her lace dresses, but they don''t have a picture of THE one on this site..just somewhat similar. On the hanger, I never would have thought I''d pick it. But the lace and design is exquisite, and it is very romantic, flowy, and flattering. I brought my friend and she said it had the "wow" factor, and well, that''s all I needed to hear! I hope I don''t second guess myself, but I''m happy to have it! http://www.esthercouture.com/igallery.php?g=Lace

dtnyc-i had a feeling m.poulette''d be v. pricey! hoping i can negotiate, the esther designer says to be sure to say it''s a sample and see if she comes down..we''ll see. it definitely needs a major cleaning and some buttons, detailed work!

therighttime

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your dress!!! I''m so excited for you!! Don''t forget me... I''m still back in LIW but I check this board on your wedding progress!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, Janinegirly!!! I am so happy for you! I wish I had gone to that sample sale, too. Lazy me!

Enjoy your dress! The lace collection of Esther looks very unique and elegant, i''m sure yours is fabolous, as well.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Janine, I''m a little late so couldn''t reply on whether to buy the sample or not BUT since you''ve bought it, Congratulations!! How exciting! You''re making a lot of wedding planning progress. I''m going to have to try and catch up!!

Can''t wait to see pics!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats janine!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Janine!! Isn't it a great feeling? I think getting the sample was the right way to go- the price couldnt be beat!! Now, you have to post some pics of your dress for us to see! So happy for you!!
36.gif
36.gif

ps- Did you hear yet from that m/u artist that I gave you info about?
2.gif

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
J-Girly,
i adore lace, those dresses are gorgeous,
congratulations!!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks girls! my dress isn''t quite like the ones on the website(I think mine''s better,heh), the lace is more subtle and it just fit my body so. Very romantic looking :)
I hope to take pics next time I see it..

Dani, I did contact that m/u artist, but she''s taken! Oh well, thanks so much for the referral though. I think finding hair/m.u. artist and BM dresses are next!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results