shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Question (A Long Shot)

mogster

Shiny_Rock
How might I find this Atonement dress (either through a store or a sewing pattern)?

ETA: I found the Vogue 7365 pattern, but wondering if there's anything else out there.

green-dress-atonement.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness, I wish I could help - I always loved that dress on her.

The Augusta Jones Corsica reminds me of that dress a bit, and I know they're really good about customization.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the suggestion, sillberry! It's my favorite dress of all time and if there's any occasion to wear something like it, it's probably my wedding!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Take the pictures to a dressmaker and have it made for yourself! My sister did this for her wedding dress and it turned out beauifully and for significantly less money than the designer inspiration dress. It's a great dress, good luck!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, aviastar! I'd not considered having it made by a dressmaker, but that's a great idea. My mother originally offered to make it but the grief and aggravation from having to work with her isn't worth it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Is the model to the right lighting up a cigarette?

mogster

Shiny_Rock
swingirl said:
Is the model to the right lighting up a cigarette?

Yes, it's a still of Kiera Knightley in Atonement.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
mogster|1316539159|3021455 said:
Thanks, aviastar! I'd not considered having it made by a dressmaker, but that's a great idea. My mother originally offered to make it but the grief and aggravation from having to work with her isn't worth it.

I hear that! Try checking local bridal forums or the knot to find dressmakers who are highly recommended in your area; then post pictures!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What part of the country do you live? I know a FABULOUS one near me, but I'm in Oklahoma..

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
ah i have always LOVED that dress. One of my all time favorites...although I am partial to fashion from that time period so I may give a biased opinion ::) .

I recall reading an article about that dress, its made out paper thin silk satin was designed by Jacqueline Durran. If I recall correctly though, it was made specifically for the movie,and for Keira Knightly, so not something you can go an purchase (believe me, I looked!! lol)

Let me see if I can find the information on it again....

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
NakedFinger|1317163973|3027327 said:
ah i have always LOVED that dress. One of my all time favorites...although I am partial to fashion from that time period so I may give a biased opinion ::) .

I recall reading an article about that dress, its made out paper thin silk satin was designed by Jacqueline Durran. If I recall correctly though, it was made specifically for the movie,and for Keira Knightly, so not something you can go an purchase (believe me, I looked!! lol)

Let me see if I can find the information on it again....

Here it is: http://www.kartanonrouva.net/couture/resatonementgreen.shtml

It gives a little more information on the construction of the dress.

ETA: I have see copies online...but in my opinion, the construction and the fabric is what makes that dress so amazing. So any replicas I have seen with shiny cheep satin just dont do it justice.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! I contacted a dressmaker and she quoted around $1k, which is wayyy out of my budget, especially since I'd only wear it for the reception (I'm not comfortable with it being THE dress). I'm back to looking into having my mother make it even with the grief and aggravation it may entail... I'll show her the suggestions here and see what she might come up with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results