shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress problem...

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
To keep the LONG story short, I got an ivory Davinci dress off the rack last month. I fell in love with it because it's a good deal. It was 50% off. I only had to pay $500ish for it. My budget is $1000. Once we got home, my mom is concerned that it's too YELLOW! She was ok with it at the store. She still wants me to wear white. I was a bit concerned that the flowery pattern might be cut off due to alternation. Fine, we just need to order it in white and in my size for $900ish. Then it hits me... since I'm willing to pay a higher amount, I don't need to settle with this dress. Maybe I can do better. So... I got the store credit and decided to pick another dress. The store mainly carries Davini and Impression Bridal. After looking online, I fell in love with an Impression wedding gown.

Last Friday, I drove 1 hr with my mom and my MOH to try on this dress and 4 other Impression gowns. I love the busy pattern and the little beading. I feel like a princess in it. My mom, my maid of honor and me are pretty excited about it. My MOH was more excited than me. She kept on clapping and said she can't wait to see me with my hair and makeup in it. The 1 hr drive was worth it. The dress is $1500 CDN + tax at the store I tried on. I slept on it over the weekend. I don't want to make another impulse purchase. Yesterday, I called the place where I have the store credit. Their price is $1400 CDN (includes tax and 15% discount). My parents want to pay for my dress. My mom thinks the price is reasonable because of the lace and quality. I will be wearing it 3 times: 2 receptions (1 oversea) and 1 pre-wedding photo session. However, the more I think about it, the more I question myself... is this really the one?... is it not good for my parents to be spending so much on my dress?. I don't know. I am confused. I know they have the 2011 collection in Jan. I don't know if I should wait until then when all I think about is this dress. If I order a dress now, it will be just in time for my photo shots in May. My wedding is in August. However, if I wait until Jan, I don't know if I'll have enough time. :shock:

This is the dress I returned:
da%20vinci_1.jpg
http://www.bestbridalprices.com/davinci-wedding-dresses-style-8336-p-38540.html

Here is the dress I like. I am totally in love with the back of it. I feel like a princess in it. I love how fitting it is.

Front: http://www.weddingworldonline.com/detail.php?pg=zoompop&img=http://72.232.198.18/manufcols/impression/2010springall/zoom/3063A.jpg

Close up: http://www.weddingworldonline.com/detail.php?pg=zoompop&img=http://72.232.198.18/manufcols/impression/2010springall/zoom/3063C.jpg

Back: http://www.weddingworldonline.com/detail.php?pg=zoompop&img=http://72.232.198.18/manufcols/impression/2010springall/zoom/3063B.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
that dress is stunning! I too agree that $1,500 is a very good price for it. :appl:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I really really love that new dress you have picked out. Its absolutely beautiful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have to say that new dress looks *amazing* on you - it hugs you and highlights your figure in all the right ways :))

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1292479065|2798307 said:
I also have to say that new dress looks *amazing* on you - it hugs you and highlights your figure in all the right ways :))

The dress on me is the dress i returned. I don't like to see a lot of plain fabric. The lace one is the one I like.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
The lace dress on me. It's not a really good picture. My MOH is holding onto my dress, trying to tighten it. The dress is too long, that's why it looks "puffy" at the bottom. The dress is also supposed to sit higher. I guess I forgot to pull it up. It's kinda big. :roll:

Impression.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
beezygal said:

The dress on me is the dress i returned. I don't like to see a lot of plain fabric. The lace one is the one I like.
My opinion should mean nothing, because what you love is what matters, but I LOVE the original dress on you (and in general). You have a beautiful figure and pretty much anything will look good on you, but to me that dress highlights you in all the right ways.

As for alterations - someone may know better than me, but I think they could pull it up from the top so you don't lose the bottom flower detail.

For your other question, though, if you need the dress for photos in May I would order now and not wait until the new lines come out. Once you make a decision, don't torment yourself with other dresses!!!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry|1292480613|2798324 said:
beezygal said:

My opinion should mean nothing, because what you love is what matters, but I LOVE the original dress on you (and in general). You have a beautiful figure and pretty much anything will look good on you, but to me that dress highlights you in all the right ways.

As for alterations - someone may know better than me, but I think they could pull it up from the top so you don't lose the bottom flower detail.

For your other question, though, if you need the dress for photos in May I would order now and not wait until the new lines come out. Once you make a decision, don't torment yourself with other dresses!!!

Thank you! I do like the shape of it. That's why the lace dress also has similar shape. However, I want something lighter. I don't really like the satin fabric. Too boring for me. I like the pattern to be everywhere. You are right! I should't wait until Jan. It would be a rush. I guess I am more struggling with the price even though my parents are ok with it.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
giving my honest opinion (prefaced with the fact that i won't be the one wearing the dress & on my own wedding dress i blew my budget for the dress that i loved.), i like the first one better. and i like it much taking into account it was nearly $900 cheaper. [i'm a deep down queen o' the bargain.] did you speak w/someone about alterations? because from the very little i know about alterations, when a dress has such detail around the hem they usually alter the length at the waist. and it doesn't come across yellow to me at all.

but if you've completely discounted dress #1, i'd keep looking. dress #2 seems to overwhelm you a bit. and that could be because it's too big on you.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
lulu66|1292482156|2798350 said:
giving my honest opinion (prefaced with the fact that i won't be the one wearing the dress & on my own wedding dress i blew my budget for the dress that i loved.), i like the first one better. and i like it much taking into account it was nearly $900 cheaper. [i'm a deep down queen o' the bargain.] did you speak w/someone about alterations? because from the very little i know about alterations, when a dress has such detail around the hem they usually alter the length at the waist. and it doesn't come across yellow to me at all.

but if you've completely discounted dress #1, i'd keep looking. dress #2 seems to overwhelm you a bit. and that could be because it's too big on you.

No matter what dress, I am planning to order it in my size. The first dress would be $900ish and the second dress would be $1400ish. For the second dress, I don't need to worry about the hem because I will order the right length. Might just have to alter the top to make it fit a bit more.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, sorry...I prefer the 1st dress! but you have to get whatever YOU feel amazing in.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Your second dress is nice but your first dress is amazing!! Love it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit that I really like the first dress as well. IMO, the rouching of the fabric on the first dress is more flattering than the rouching on the lace dress (because lace is difficult to rouche). I also really like how there is more than one texture in the first dress. The majority is satin, but you get a little bit of lace at the bottom. I love the bodice of the first dress as well--the little lace ruffle at he top of he seond dress looks like it could sag a little throughout the nigh.The fact that the first dress is still $500 less than the second dress is a bonus. In fact, you look so good in the first dress that I'd probably see if I could get the off-the-rack 50% discount back--$450 for that dress is unbelievable, it looks much more expensive and no yellow at all!

You look fabulous in both of them, I just love that first one!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
You're not gonna like this, but I prefer the first dress on you as well.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Um.... I :love: :love: :love: that first dress on you. but of course, I haven't seen it in person, and well, this is your dress and your wedding.... but then again, I can only hope my dress looks half as good on me as that first dress does on you.... so I think this deserves to be said again. That first dress is amazing... even the color as is.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1292518866|2798596 said:
I have to admit that I really like the first dress as well. IMO, the rouching of the fabric on the first dress is more flattering than the rouching on the lace dress (because lace is difficult to rouche). I also really like how there is more than one texture in the first dress. The majority is satin, but you get a little bit of lace at the bottom. I love the bodice of the first dress as well--the little lace ruffle at he top of he seond dress looks like it could sag a little throughout the nigh.The fact that the first dress is still $500 less than the second dress is a bonus. In fact, you look so good in the first dress that I'd probably see if I could get the off-the-rack 50% discount back--$450 for that dress is unbelievable, it looks much more expensive and no yellow at all!

You look fabulous in both of them, I just love that first one!

Ditto every last bit of NEL's post.

And I agree with SB...order now, and don't set foot in a bridal salon again unless you're picking up the dress, getting it altered, or choosing accessories!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your opinion. Thanks for all the compliments.

I hate myself for this. I can't make up my mind. However, every once in awhile, I still think about the FIRST mermaid dress I tried on (that was 2 months ago). It is $799. (I just found out it's a Mori Lee dress) Even though it has been so long ago, I still remember what it looks like and how it feels on me. I should have known that might be the one. At first, I was hoping to find something cheaper. If I didn't buy the first dress off the rack, I would have probably ordered the Mori Lee. Just now, I called the store with the Mori Lee dress and I'm going to try it on again tonight. They said if I order it by next Thursday, I'll get the dress by the end of April. The good thing about this dress is it has lace-up back and I can choose the length. Probably don't need alternation or hemming. Wish me luck! Will update tonight.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
can't wait to see your update. you def have the figure to rock a mermaid style. bring us pics :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results