shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Issues!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness what is wrong with me!? I cant seem to find a dress style im happy with and I dont know what to do! Im 5''8 with SUPER high hips and great long legs but I have almost no boobs and a wide back! I have yet to find a dress that looks good! These are some of the dresses I love but im worried when I go to try them on they wont fit right! I know I can have the gown altered but I had pageant gowns altered before, and they never ever look right to me nor fit right! Isnt there just one gown that will fit me right?

The Gowns
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2287&prodgroup=127

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2028&prodgroup=127

http://www.bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=16638

http://www.bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=19586

http://www.bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=18874

Well besides my stress what do you think of the gowns?
17.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! First of all the gowns you have selected are very nice. As a fellow tall, small busted, long legged girl I have similar problems with dresses. I noticed that none of the gowns you have selected are strapless. Are you opposed to trying a strapless gown. Out of all my own dresses, my strapless ones are the ones that fit me the best. You might (if you haven''t already), try a strappless ball-gown style gown. With strapless gowns, you only have to make sure the torso is fitted enough for you. Also strapless gowns tend to give your bust a boost if you get the right detailing. Get the right detailing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear GB: I also have a wide back and small --er--front, though I haven't been blessed with your long legs! The first thing that came to mind when I read your description of the bride-to-be is an empire, or "juliette" style dress. Juliette dresses haven't been in fashion for awhile but that may be changing... Reem Acra is featuring at least two of them in their 2006 collection:

http://www.reemacra.com/

The second thing I noticed is most of the dresses you've shown us have wide-set shoulder straps. I think these would tend to accentuate a wide back. A few of the dresses also have a deep V-shape in front. Speaking strictly of my own situation, those would not work real well because they expose a whole lot of area where there's just not much going on! You might consider try a squarish or u-shaped neckline, or a V-shaped neck that's cut a bit higher.

My 2 cents' worth.

Best of luck to you!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Im glad im not alone in this
25.gif
I was a bridesmaid about a year ago and the gowns we wore were strapless and I didnt feel comfortable in it felt like it kept sliding off of me! And it seems like strapless gowns are the IN thing these days I prefer something more traditional I guess.

Heres a picture im on the left
Untitled.jpg

Im really wide on top and rounded shoulders too. It just looks funny on me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
The dresses you posted are very pretty. Just remember, a ballgown can be a LOT of dress to carry around. I tried a couple on and just couldn''t get into carrying 10 layers of dress around with me, even in the boutique. It would have been far too exhausting for 5+ hours.

Have you been able to try on wedding gowns yet? If not, go and try on as many different styles as you can. Some will look great and some won''t. This way, you can narrow down what flatters your body and the quest won''t be as daunting. Don''t hesitate to try something on at first glance, though...it could surprise you!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ebree I will definetly go try on dresses soon. I looked at the reem acra site and I love there campain dresses they remind me of my moms dress hers was beautiful, very victorian looking and if I were a size 5 I would wear hers! I dont really mind a ball gown and the 10 dresses/ layers that come with it hehe but I dunno ill go try some on soon anything can change my mind.thanks so much for the help

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
What about something like this?
BGT0KS2_mn.jpg

It would show off your shoulders and bring the attention to your bodice and be flattering for your chest size. My only other suggestion is to just try everything on. You might find that high necks or bateau styles are good, or that a lace overlay alleviates your back worries. Good luck!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks pretty in the picture---but if you were not comfortable then def. do not go for that style. It doesn''t matter how gorgeous a dress looks--if you are uncomfortable in it then you will not look your very best. I am sure you will find something perfect.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
ThaNks gals ill do my best when I go try them on, I like halter tops too and i never thought about that! we shall see when I go. Now how do I hide my gown from my finace when were both in WA for the summer and have only one car? He mostly drives becuase I have no idea were I am and I dont want to crash his new truck lol (dont worry im not a bad driver im just used to driving my little civic)

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
A good bridal store employee should be able to help you in this area more than we can. Once a saleslady gets an idea of what you like in a gown she can suggest and pick out some dresses that you''ll like and are more flattering to your body type. My sister picked out my wedding gown for me- I didn''t like it at ALL at first, but once it was on I didn''t want to take it off! So try on anything and everything your mom, BM''s, and the salespeople put in your dressing room and throw your preconceived notions out the window! Good luck and post pics when you find YOUR dress!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 3:30:52 PM
Author: GarysBride
ThaNks gals ill do my best when I go try them on, I like halter tops too and i never thought about that! we shall see when I go. Now how do I hide my gown from my finace when were both in WA for the summer and have only one car? He mostly drives becuase I have no idea were I am and I dont want to crash his new truck lol (dont worry im not a bad driver im just used to driving my little civic)

The shop where I bought my gown stored it there until I paid in full. If you''re ordering your gown, you probably won''t take it home until months from now, and then they should be able to ship it to wherever you will be.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2006 2:09:43 AM
Author: GarysBride
I was a bridesmaid about a year ago and the gowns we wore were strapless and I didnt feel comfortable in it felt like it kept sliding off of me! And it seems like strapless gowns are the IN thing these days I prefer something more traditional I guess.
Sounds like sleeves are the way to go! I felt like my A-line dress that I wore was sliding off of me. But the ballgown that I wore to the second ceremony felt like it was staying up, mostly b/c of the huge slip I had to wear underneath. Mind you, both of these dresses were altered within a breath of my life around my middle and chest, but still that A-line made me feel vulnerable.

If I could do it over again, I''d have some kind of sleeves or straps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love halters to minimize wide shoulders...and criss cross straps on the back to minimize broad back...i have wide shoulders as well.

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
Well my future sister in law showed me this dress and I really like it! I found a bridal shop near by that has it too.

http://www.birnbaumandbullock.com/Michaela.htm

Mara dou you have any pictures of dresses with a halter and criss cross back? I've been searching but no luck

E B

Ideal_Rock
GarysBride,

This might be an interesting dress to try. It''s halter AND the back has detailing, which might provide you with enough cover to be comfortable:

Maggie Sottero "Malibu"

This one crosses in the back:
MS Marla

This one does as well:
MS Pandora

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Hmm.. my favorite dress by FAR is the second one.. My concern with you with almost all of these dresses is you say you are small chested and the bodices on these dresses are all sort of "boob-emphasizing".. in fact.. they look almost like they are intended for girls with bigger chests (hence the thicker straps on most of them and the v-neck/sweetheart necks..)
The second dress is a little less so.. with the rounder neckline and also, the ribbon around the waist (I know its "sold separately.. but it seems like it should be there).. could give you a nice waist..

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
thats what I was thinking about the ribbon hopefully it works
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results