shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress hunting

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
So how long did it take you to find your perfect dress? I've been shopping for two months now, been to about 10 stores to try on probably close to 50 dresses and still haven't found "the one". I love the process because I get to put on so many pretty dresses :bigsmile: but I'm also starting to feel like I'll never get the "ah-ha" moment. I'm telling myself to keep looking though because I still have a couple of months to decide (wedding in 10 months). I have an idea of what I like but something always seem to bother me (ie. waistline location, material, etc etc). Been looking online a lot as well, but haven't fallen in love with anything (although I saw a few I like and want to try on). I wish I was the type that can decide on a dress after trying on just 3!!! Although I'm a bit deflated, I don't want to "settle" because I'm scared I'll end up buying another dress and become a two dress bride. :sick:

I must say....picking out diamonds and engagement rings was a much easier task!!! :loopy:

What was your dress experience like? :rodent:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I had an easy time...first dress I tried on I ended up buying! But I still kept looking for a bit...didn't see anything that was a nice. It's frustrating if you can't find what you want. Have you narrowed down style, material, etc? Maybe start choosing material, then style, etc. May help you narrow in on The One.

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Yup, I narrowed it down! I know for sure I want tulle/organza/netting (something light and romantic) ideally with some lace, sweetheart neckline, A-line/modified A-line/full skirt, and some bling like a rhinestone belt. There are a lot of dresses that fit this description but nothing that I'm crazy in love with... :confused:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
It took me a LONG time. Including a 5 hour road trip to Low's Bridal in Arkansas. That trip was a bust and I had high hopes. I was getting worn out. Everything was looking the same. I was feeling the crunch of time. I finally found one at the bridal store closest to me when I went to a trunk show. I wish I had advice, but I don't. I will say that you might need to order soon. Unless you are buying off rack. I ordered 7 months out I think and it barely got here in time. Some designers will modify things. So ask about that. For example the dress I got didn't have a sweetheart neckline by default. But I could order it with one. So maybe that is an option for you. Good luck!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I think it all depends on the shop and your consultant. I went to Alfred Angelo, found a dress that I "liked," but I had to wear it for a long time until I could get a little excited about it.

The second shop was a family friend (who actually owns the shop); I told her my theme, what I wanted (flattering, lacey, unique) and the very first gown I tried on had everyone crying and 100% sure it was the one! I tried on about a dozen other dresses after that, and only one came close, but when I put the first gown back on something just clicked. :D

So, do expect an "a-ha!" moment, even if it takes multiple try-ons.
Do go back on another day (even with different people) and try it on a second time to see if you're still all-smiles.
Don't expect not to have lots of "wait, am I sure?" moments after you commit!

All-in-all, try to find a consultant who seems to get your vibe and go to a shop that carries a range of designers (none of this Alfred Angelo/David's Bridal business! IMHO :lol: ). Call the place first, talk to your consultant on the phone (so they're prepared with what you want) and let the consultant convince you that they have your dress; if they do, go!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dress saga was long. And a PITA, so I totally feel you.

Have you tried this one on? I adore it. It's got organza, a sweetheart neckline some lace-- the hem detail is to die for and is just lovely: http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0031/0053599/larger_image.jpg It's by Jim Hjelm. I think with the dropped waist and the lovely ribbon detail of the bodice it would be incredibly flattering to a number of figures. I would try to see if you have can try it on locally, I think it might be a winner.

I also adore: http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/two-by-rosa-clar%C3%A1/154%20-%20oriental?ctx=0:100:-1:-1&src=res

http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/sophia-tolli/y21150%20paloma?ctx=0:100:-1:-1&src=res Seems to fit your requirements and is beautiful

http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/pallas-athena/pa9953?ctx=8:15:-1:-1&src=res Might not be just right, but I love this one.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What styles do you like so far?

I'm a manager at a bridal salon... Usually once people try on that many, it becomes a really hard process. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to have a crying a-ha moment. I've sold hundreds of dresses and maybe seen about 10 girls cry. For most people it's a more logical process. Think about what is appropriate for your venue, what fits the style of your wedding, fits your price range, and then try on.

Maybe it would be best if you took a month off from dress shopping and came back with new eyes.

There's no end to beautiful dresses and you can make yourself crazy if you expect to find "THE ONE!" If you wouldn't mind sharing what type of dress you are looking for and what your ballpark price is, I think all of us may be able to help.

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your replies! Glad to know I'm not the only one out there and I really wish I was happy after 3 dresses, but unfortunately, I wasn't very excited for any of the dresses, except for 2, of which 1 is from in-house designer and I wasn't allow to take a picture of it.

Anyway, I really want something romantic. Here are some of the dresses that I've been looking at (really wish my fiance don't come across this post). For reference, I'm 5"3, planning to wear 4 inch heels, so will look 5"7, 110lbs.

1 - Dalby by Blue by Enzoani - It's the romantic look that I'm going for, but I thought the top looked very "flat" as if it's not 3 dimensional...if you know what I mean, LOL! I like the 2-tire skirt but not sure if it'll make me look shorter (seems to be the case when I tried it on, but since it was so long, a bit hard to tell). I wish there is something I can do to the top to solve the "flat" issue

2 - Joyous by Kenneth Pool - I love the neckline and the bling, just not the drop waist (less romantic?), but drop waist seems to show off my waist more which is flattering (don't want to look like a cupcake). No lace on the dress. I have an appointment this weekend to try it on. This dress is also very similar to Darwin by Blue by Enzoani.

Blue by Enzoani Dalby2.jpg

kenneth_pool_joyous2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second (the Kenneth Pool) but not the first-- but it all depends on what they look like on you. Have you looked at older Paloma Blanca styles? I think you would like some of them.

I don't get why a dropped waist would be less romantic-- at all. What is best for your figure (and it sounds like a dropped waist is right for you) is what you should be looking for.

I didn't have a "this is it moment'... But I did narrow down the aspects I wanted and was very happy with my dress.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on Pronovias yet? They have beautiful laces and many of their dresses have that romantic feel.

We just received the Pergola from their Advance Collection and it's beautiful.

Pergola-B.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1313550232|2992371 said:
Have you tried on Pronovias yet? They have beautiful laces and many of their dresses have that romantic feel.

That dress is stunning!

threadjack: Is that your jacket, OU? To wear with your Diana?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Why do those models look about 8 feet tall?

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1313531630|2992162 said:
I like the second (the Kenneth Pool) but not the first-- but it all depends on what they look like on you. Have you looked at older Paloma Blanca styles? I think you would like some of them.
I don't get why a dropped waist would be less romantic-- at all. What is best for your figure (and it sounds like a dropped waist is right for you) is what you should be looking for.
+1 on everything.

I had a probably pretty average shopping process. I went dress shopping a couple of times just for fun and kicks with girlfriends when I was still living in the States, but I knew that involving my mom was my #1 priority for dress shopping and that for this reason I'd end up getting the dress in Europe. I also knew that I wasn't going to like a lot of European bridal fashion as much as the U.S. designers and that my selection might be limited. So once I found a dress that I felt good about, I got it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justin Alexander style 8609...

Justin Alexander 8609.jpg

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
swingirl|1313603684|2992695 said:
Why do those models look about 8 feet tall?
LOL!! So true!! :cheeky:

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
OUpeargirl|1313550232|2992371 said:

This is such a pretty dress!!! I have to find it so I can try it on. I think it'll look good with a belt!! :love:

iheartbora

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1313554487|2992404 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!! :tongue:

The Christos desiree used to be one of my favorite and I still like it very much....it's so dreamy!! But it hardy has any train... which is something that I really want.

This Lazaro dress looks a bit like the Judd Waddell one, I'm hoping to try it on this weekend! I really like it, though the skirt is not very full, I think I can add a few layers to it if desired.
http://www.theknot.com/wedding-dress/lazaro/lz3962

Online research is great, but dresses look completely different once they are on, so I'm really hoping these dresses will look good on me.... Even if I don't get an "ah-ha" moment, I'm still hoping to find one that "I cannot stop thinking about" or keep going back and compare all the dresses to it ;-)

Lazaro LZ3962e.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
iheartbora,

You are so right that you have to try them on. I think researching online is a good starting point, to figure out the stores that carry designers you think you might like... But then you have to see what you look like in them. Good luck! You will find it.

C-tek, no that's not my jacket.. Mine buttons up the back and is covered in front, unlike this bolero. The bolero is pretty too, though!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1313499899|2991831 said:
What styles do you like so far?

I'm a manager at a bridal salon... Usually once people try on that many, it becomes a really hard process. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to have a crying a-ha moment. I've sold hundreds of dresses and maybe seen about 10 girls cry. For most people it's a more logical process. Think about what is appropriate for your venue, what fits the style of your wedding, fits your price range, and then try on.

Maybe it would be best if you took a month off from dress shopping and came back with new eyes.

There's no end to beautiful dresses and you can make yourself crazy if you expect to find "THE ONE!" If you wouldn't mind sharing what type of dress you are looking for and what your ballpark price is, I think all of us may be able to help.

Excellent advice! I also didn't have a moment, but just found a dress that was in my budget and worked with my personal sense of style.

Then my mom made me take it back and exchange it for one that was more expensive and much less "me." I cried when I exchanged it (not happy tears), and I still look back on my wedding pictures with a pang of regret for not standing my ground.

So the only bit of advice I'd add is to try not to let others influence your decision too much, and just go with what makes you happy.

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
It didn't take me long. I had some styles and designers in mind so I went to a trunk show. I think it was the 4th dress I tried on. While I really liked it, I didn't have that a ha moment like you see on Say Yes to the Dress! (LOL! I expected to break down like they do on the show but I'm not really the most emotional gal.) So, I tried on a few more. They just didn't measure up to that dress.

The ladies in the store and the reps for Essense really liked that dress on me so they told me to put it on again. I stood on the pedestal and started to get happy about the dress. My consultant pulled out a veil and I boo hooed! LOL. So, I knew then, this was my dress. My consultant told me when we started, "it's the dress you feel an emotional connection too...." I guess she was right.

I'm petite like you...5'2 and 110 lbs. I always thought I'd like the fit and flare style with very little lace or beading. My style typically leans to more modern contemporary BUT I ended up loving a fitted A-Line with full lace, beading, crystals, and pearls. It has a vintage romantic look to it. You just never know until you try it on. My friend even commented she would have never picked that dress for me. The fit and flares/ mermaid styles just didn't look right on me. I think I'm too small and I get swallowed in the dress. I imagine it will be the same for you. Also, some of the dresses make you look sectioned off/ chopped body. I suggest looking for slimmer dresses and avoid a lot of ruffles and poof. BUT everyone is different you may and no one can really tell you what you will like.

If you like the more romantic styles, I'd check out Martina Liana, Ella, Essense of Australia, and Alfred Angelo. You're sure to find something you like between these designers.

And as someone has already mentioned, you need to get your dress soon. I bought mine last weekend and it's not coming in until mid February. Then, it will have to go to alterations. I'm getting married at the end of April so I bought mine right in time. Don't wait too long. Good luck dress hunting!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results