shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress for success

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/01/female_bank_of_england_employe.html

Well, this is appalling: Earlier this week, the Bank of England held "Dress for Success" day. On that day, they sent out a memo to female employees detailing just how they should dress for success, important now more than ever in These Economic Times, the worst financial crisis Britain''s dealt with since the Depression. WWD obtained a copy of the memo:

“Look professional, not fashionable; be careful with perfume; always wear a heel of some sort — maximum 2 inches; always wear some sort of makeup — even if it’s just lipstick.” Shoes and skirt must be the same color. No-no’s include ankle chains — “professional, but not the one you want to be associated with;” white high heels; overstuffed handbags; an overload of rings, and double-pierced ears.

On behalf of all women at the BOE, excuse us? A woman can dress almost exactly opposite to these rules — in black flats, with gray trousers, no makeup, and a giant handbag — and still look professional and chic. We understand the need to enforce a dress code, but mandating heels of a certain color, makeup, and degree of handbag-filling is ridiculous. What about rules for the men? It wouldn''t hurt BOE governor Mervyn King and deputy governor Sir John Gieve to wear ties that aren''t so loud — set an example if you''re so concerned about color-coordination, gentlemen. And while you''re forcing women to wear two-inch heels, you should, too. Sarko does it, after all.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 7:17:23 PM
Author:trillionaire

Well, this is appalling: Earlier this week, the Bank of England held ''Dress for Success'' day. On that day, they sent out a memo to female employees detailing just how they should dress for success, important now more than ever in These Economic Times, the worst financial crisis Britain''s dealt with since the Depression. WWD obtained a copy of the memo:

“Look professional, not fashionable; be careful with perfume; always wear a heel of some sort — maximum 2 inches; always wear some sort of makeup — even if it’s just lipstick.” Shoes and skirt must be the same color. No-no’s include ankle chains — “professional, but not the one you want to be associated with;” white high heels; overstuffed handbags; an overload of rings, and double-pierced ears.

On behalf of all women at the BOE, excuse us? A woman can dress almost exactly opposite to these rules — in black flats, with gray trousers, no makeup, and a giant handbag — and still look professional and chic. We understand the need to enforce a dress code, but mandating heels of a certain color, makeup, and degree of handbag-filling is ridiculous. What about rules for the men? It wouldn''t hurt BOE governor Mervyn King and deputy governor Sir John Gieve to wear ties that aren''t so loud — set an example if you''re so concerned about color-coordination, gentlemen. And while you''re forcing women to wear two-inch heels, you should, too. Sarko does it, after all.

The two highlighted things are the only ones I agree with. I hate it when a person''s scent lingers for hours after they''ve left and I do think that a bit a makeup looks more professional than a bare face.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I guess my black booties with 3 inch heels and my turquoise sweater with black camisole would be too ''out there'' for them? Not to mention my stack of diamond bands, silver bangles, and dangling earrings, huh?
20.gif

Sounds like a bunch of silly-assed, stuffed shirts (without a shred of style themselves) want to return to the boring old days of dowdy matronly women in the workplace. Haven''t we moved past the sensible pumps and pantyhose? I''m not ready to accept flip-flops and facial piercings in the boardroom, but a little personal flair among the staff would be refreshing.
2.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Wow sent to female employees? Here's my question, what did they send to male employees?

ETA: I am assuming the answer is nothing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha!!!!!!They wouldn''t like my shoe or shirt collection. AT ALL.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
SNORT. Ridiculous. Whoever wrote that would die if they saw what I wear to work...the dress code at my work is whatever I want!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Seriously?? I mean, what if you''re like 6''2"???
3.gif

And what if you''re wearing a gray suit? No way in heck am i wearing gray shoes! And I plan on trying to get away with my double-pierced ears!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 7:17:23 PM
Author:trillionaire

Well, this is appalling: Earlier this week, the Bank of England held ''Dress for Success'' day. On that day, they sent out a memo to female employees detailing just how they should dress for success, important now more than ever in These Economic Times, the worst financial crisis Britain''s dealt with since the Depression. WWD obtained a copy of the memo:

Yeah, on the heels - well any man who tries to dictate my shoes can bite me from here to next week. I have BAD problems with my left ankle and I''m pretty much forced to wear athletic shoes - with inserts - most of the time. I like it not, but reality dictates. They can have a professional employee who can''t actually WALK, or they can let me pick my footwear. It''s not MY fault that shoes that don''t hurt - actually DAMAGE - my feet don''t also make me look professional. I don''t design athletic shoes.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is exactly why so many companies are in such deep trouble - they''re more concerned with image and appearances than they are with doing business effectively.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
"Priorities" is right!

I bet you a man came up with this. Or a spiteful, and unfashionable, woman exec on the top floor.

I happen to think flats are very professional (and comfy!)...and so are stuffed totes! Grrrr...
29.gif

This would never happen in NY!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to hear the backlash from this. Absolutely unbelievable.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Anyone actually believe following these guidelines will help you get ahead? And possibly more interesting, if for some reason you did believe that following these guidelines will help you (say, you are interviewing with the writer of the guidelines), would you be willing to do it?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:28:24 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Seriously?? I mean, what if you're like 6'2'???
3.gif

I wonder if men follow women around with rulers, crawling across the floor to get a measurement. It'd be like catholic high school all over again- our skirts had to be a certain length, and teachers would whip out a ruler without warning.
3.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Lets be fair and include the bank''s response which was:

The facts are that an informal lunchtime gathering was organised by a women''s staff group at which an external company presented their ideas about building confidence. The session was provided free and had nothing to do with the management of the Bank. A list of ideas about dress was discussed by the consultant. Most Bank staff will not have seen this and those that have are free to treat it as they wish. Like many organisations, the Bank simply expects staff to wear smart business attire.

I wonder if there''s a Men''s staff group and if so what sort of meetings they organize for themselves?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:56:37 PM
Author: klewis

The facts are that an informal lunchtime gathering was organised by a women''s staff group at which an external company presented their ideas about building confidence. The session was provided free and had nothing to do with the management of the Bank. A list of ideas about dress was discussed by the consultant. Most Bank staff will not have seen this and those that have are free to treat it as they wish. Like many organisations, the Bank simply expects staff to wear smart business attire.

I wonder if there''s a Men''s staff group and if so what sort of meetings they organize for themselves?

Klewis thanks for posting this! Very interesting.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:56:37 PM

Not surprising one of my former clients ran such a program and only a woman would get by with some of her recommendations.
Sometimes I wonder if women secretly hate each other because I would never see a guy doing that to other guys.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I''m envious of all the choices women have with clothing. Now I''m not gagging to get into heels and skirts....., but I see women wearing open shoes which look so cool (temperature wise) whereas it would be deemed inappropriate for me to be wearing a man''s equivalent in the same situation. And all those options with sleeves - long or to the elbow, or none at all. And you can cover your legs or bare them, to a degree, in almost all situations - expose your back and/or front. My choices are so limited by society, I feel quite oppressed actually!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 11:36:16 PM
I''m envious of all the choices women have with clothing. Now I''m not gagging to get into heels and skirts....., but I see women wearing open shoes which look so cool (temperature wise) whereas it would be deemed inappropriate for me to be wearing a man''s equivalent in the same situation. And all those options with sleeves - long or to the elbow, or none at all. And you can cover your legs or bare them, to a degree, in almost all situations - expose your back and/or front. My choices are so limited by society, I feel quite oppressed actually!

You know, I actually felt really really bad for my male co-workers this past summer at a law firm. We were in extremely hot, HUMID weather - and I was suffering but I got to wear a short-sleeved blouse and a pencil skirt, sans nylons. the guys were in long-sleeved shirts, pants, and sometimes suit jackets because we were in a business-formal office. It was ok in the office but as soon as you got outside, even at 7 pm or so when it''s dark and presumably cooler, you could just feel the humidity - so disgusting. Poor guys

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 8:46:55 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 2/3/2009 10:28:24 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Seriously?? I mean, what if you''re like 6''2''???
3.gif

I wonder if men follow women around with rulers, crawling across the floor to get a measurement. It''d be like catholic high school all over again- our skirts had to be a certain length, and teachers would whip out a ruler without warning.
3.gif

If so, then I say these regulations are just a big conspiracy to give them excuses to look up women''s skirts
3.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 10:09:45 AM
Author: Bia

This would never happen in NY!

I''m surprised it happened in London! This memo is insane. I''m surprised that it happens in modern society at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results