shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress disaster...need reassurance!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, it''s been a while since I''ve been around, but I am in need of serious reassurance! Went to finally pick up my "dream dress" last weekend, and ended up in TEARS (big time!). This is a Marianne Lanting that I bought at a trunk show back in August. I had the dress completely redesigned and semi custom-made by Marianne. Unfortunately is NOT right and I am definitely having a bit of a break down!!

First, the background:
I wanted an organza overlay with ribbon hem. I wanted a pink and white sash (separately so I could trade them out). And I didn''t want a HUGE backside.

OOPS. I got most of what I thought, but just with a bunch of errors. Marianne is being INCREDIBLY helpful in fixing them, but I''m still freaking out a bit!
Here is what I have so far. The problems are:

1) it is HUGE!! (The bridal shop tried to tell me I must have lost weight...I DEFINITELY have not!!! It needs major alterations, although you can''t tell much from the pics)
2) The ribbon on the bottom hem is not thick enough. Nor does it match the white sash (different color whites). You can''t really tell either of these in the pictures.
3) I originally only wanted the organza overlay on the skirt and not on the bodice. The finished dress has organza on both, which I have decided that I''m okay with.
4) I HATE the backside. Keep in mind the pictures are of the UNBUSTLED dress and it is WAY too poofy. They are trying to fix this.

Oh, and keep in mind that I may end up tying the sashes with the bow in the back for the actual wedding (all of the pics are with them tied in the front)...

SOOO... what do you guys think? Fixable?? Awful??? (BTW, I tried to edit out my awful tearstained face... try to ignore what you can still see!!!)

ttdjdress1.jpg

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another, just of the backside (very LARGE backside I might add). I was thinking that I could maybe sneak my DOG into the ceremony under the dress if kept the way it is?!
emteeth.gif
)

ttdjdress2.jpg

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
And here is the pink sash...

ttdjdress3.jpg

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I really like your dress! I do think that from what you''ve said they executed it wrong, but I really like it. I like the back, I like the bow in front. But what is important is that YOU like it. It sounds like they''re willing to help you out, which is a huge step in the right direction.

When is your wedding? Is there enough time for these changes?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I have to be honest...I like it! I think you look beautiful! I like the back! I understand that you are disappointed. But, that doesn''t change the fact that you look great in the dress. I hope they can fix the things that you are unhappy with.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry!!! It sounds like the company is willing to cooperate, so that is a good start. Since it is their fault, can they rush a completely new dress for you?

And just as a sidenote, I think the dress as-is looks wonderful on you (a tad bit big, but that can be altered I''m sure!), but you deserve the dress you always wanted.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I like the dress, especially the front shot with the pink bow... gorgeous! I see what you mean about the back though, but I don''t think that will be too hard to fix. Good luck!

RZ

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
THank you...I''m still trying to convince myself that it is okay...
The wedding is not until June 3rd. Marianne Lanting will be making the changes before March 10th. I live in a different state than the bridal shop (!) so I will be flying back there that weekend. The bridal shop has also promised to do the alterations completely that day (they are clearing the entire schedule of one of their seamstresses) so that should help....

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad that they are taking your concerns seriously and trying to make the changes asap. It sounds like it will all work out fine!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love the pink sash!!! I don''t know about the back becasue I don''t know what you were aiming for. But you look gorgeous from the front.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the front is really quite beautiful! And the sash is fantastic :) But I tend to side with you on the back thing. I think it''s that the pickups don''t make any sense or create any harmony with the rest of the gown. And they are all concentrated right around your rear end ???!!! I don''t know what you asked for, but perhaps if they were softer and a little more spread out so they are as soft and beautiful as the rest of the gown they''d look better. Sorry you have had this hiccup! It sure sounds like they are going to right thier wrongs, though!!!

You mentioned you can live with the organza on the bodice although you hadn''t requested it. If you didn''t want it there, you can get that fixed too. Unless it turned out to be one of the happy mistakes that happen from time to time :)

broadway

Rough_Rock
The dress is beautiful! And I see your point about the back - but I''m sure taking volume out of it will make it even more gorgeous!! BTW, WHAT a beautiful shade of pink! I''m loving that! I''m sure it will work out and it sounds like you have a comfortable amount of time left.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your support! I will definitely post pictures in March when (hopefully) the dress has been fixed!

Unfortunately when we designed the dress, I didn''t realize that silk organza is not pure white. The tafetta underneath the dress is pure white, so if I just have the overlay on the skirt, it doesn''t look right. I''m a little bummed about that, but like I said, I can live with it....

FYI, this is the look I''m hoping to get for the back with the pickups:

bridal_nav_32.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t be happy with the back either if I had asked for what you did and had gotten what you got! The bustles you asked for a much softer and spread out in the back. Have you asked if they can fix that?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous on you, but I agree the backside is not ideal. The look you are going for in the pic you posted would be perfect. I hope they can do this for you.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Your dress is beautiful, but I agree that the back is a little too poofy- especially considering the inspiration pic that you posted! It''s unfortunate that you are unhappy with certain aspects of it, but at least it sounds like they are willing to try and make it right!
1.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
It looks fine to me overall, except for the bustling in the back. It seems they are willing to fix things too. You have PLENTY of time for a June wedding, I hope they can make good on it!!!

PS I would not sweat about the non-matching of the sash and ribbon on the bottom, that is the kind of thing that only brides notice... and I mean that without any malice, because I was exactly one of those brides.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results