shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Color Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh I need some advice and I don't really have anyone else to ask at the moment. You all are so helpful so I thought I should try here!
1.gif
I ordered my dress almost 3 weeks ago and when I was ordering, I wasn't given the option to choose a color. So of course I asked if I had a choice and mentioned that the website says the dress comes in "white" and "off-white". (This was when I was ordering the dress.) They told me that the designer no longer makes the dress in white. So off-white it was! Well I've looked at the website several times since then and it still says "white or off-white". So I emailed the designer to double check and I was told that the dress does indeed comes in two colors and that there must have been a misunderstanding (well not on my part, that's for sure!). So what should I do? Have the dress remade or just stick with the off white? Is it a big deal? I'm not really sure if one color or the other looks better on me. I know the white isn't a stark paper white... it 100% silk, so it's more of a softer white. The off-white is inbetween white and ivory. Opinions? Any suggestions on what would look best with my skin tone? (I have a tannish olive color if that helps.)

I wish I had pics of me in both colors to compare, but I don't.
7.gif
Just have these of me in the off-white sample....

drcamry0383smallpk7.jpg

drcamry0233smallnn0.jpg

drcamry039ha1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

ETA: This is a different dress (the dreaded mermaid one- I don't have the bod for it!) but I believe it was more of a white color, so maybe this will help to compare?
picture0152copyvr1.jpg

Side by side comparison:
(Not sure why I look darker in the first pic... must be the lighting?)

picture0152copykk1.jpg
drcamry0383small2ql1.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think the off-white looks stunning on you.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
With your skin tone the off-white looks very becoming. I would have picked the off-white right off the bat. You look gorgeous in that dress!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have similar coloring and while ivory looks good on me.. silk white provided such a wonderful contrast with my skin and hair... if I wore teh ivory dresses by themselves they looked great... but after wearing a white dress, then wearing an ivory dress... it became clear the the white was the most flattering. I would suggest going to a bridal shop and trying on both colors so you can make an educated decision. That said, both gowns I bought were a VERY light ivory becasue they were both samples. And I am wearing my Rivini ... its my dream dress... even in ''vanilla'' (gave my Christos to a friend).

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I think the off-white looks beautiful on you, but without actually seeing white on you, it's hard to say which looks better with your skin tone. Have you talked to the salon you ordered the dress from about it? Is it even an option to change the order at this point? If it's not I totally wouldn't worry about it, because like I said, the off-white looks gorgeous on you! But, if you are still able to change it then I second Gypsy's advice to go to a bridal salon and try on the white for comparison. My guess is that the white will look great too...it'll come down to your personal preference!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Wowzer! You look so beautiful in both shades!! When I saw the first pic of you in teh off white dress I said to myself "that certainly doesn''t look off white". But then, when next to the other pic you can see a slight slight difference....but you also look more tan in the pure white dress so it''s hard to say with confidence that the dress shade is very different or not.

I totally think your''e right in that pure white in a silk is a lot softer than pure white in a satin. My dress (Maggie''s Pia) in layered with organza over satin and it is a pure white but boy it does not look "stark" by any means. Others did....like Maggie''s Rebecca for instance.

So, if you are allowed to change then go for it....but if you just can''t.....I think you look absolutely fantastic in the "off" white dress. Think of it this way...you will be pretty much the only one in the entire venue that is wearing a white dress (or, at least in my opinion, you should be)...........so you will look VERY white to all of them!!! lol.

GORGEOUS dress!!!!

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Ebree, swingirl, Gypsy, and Kerbear thank you!
1.gif
The bridal shop doesn't have the color dress in white (they don't even think you can get it in that color!
2.gif
lol), but I could go in and see if they carry a silk white dress and try that on. The designer (or the rep I spoke to) said that they would fix the problem and make me a new one if I wanted the white. So it's still an option. I don't think either looks *bad*... that's what makes it kinda difficult to decide. I wish one just stood out as the most flattering. I guess in the end, I know that neither will look terrible!

As far as the bridal shop thinking the designer only carries the one color, should I tell them that their information is incorrect, or should I have the designer do it? I just found out about it today (after the shop was closed) and haven't talked to them yet.

xapora

Shiny_Rock
Based on the pictures, they both look great, but the off-white really does look gorgeous on you. You look fabulous in the first dress! It looks like it goes with your skin tone perfectly and is much softer on the eye than the white. Honestly, you really can''t go wrong either way, but I would pick the off-white.
21.gif

chellebelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 12:50:59 AM
Author: So_happy
Wowzer! You look so beautiful in both shades!! When I saw the first pic of you in teh off white dress I said to myself ''that certainly doesn''t look off white''. But then, when next to the other pic you can see a slight slight difference....but you also look more tan in the pure white dress so it''s hard to say with confidence that the dress shade is very different or not.

I totally think your''e right in that pure white in a silk is a lot softer than pure white in a satin. My dress (Maggie''s Pia) in layered with organza over satin and it is a pure white but boy it does not look ''stark'' by any means. Others did....like Maggie''s Rebecca for instance.

So, if you are allowed to change then go for it....but if you just can''t.....I think you look absolutely fantastic in the ''off'' white dress. Think of it this way...you will be pretty much the only one in the entire venue that is wearing a white dress (or, at least in my opinion, you should be)...........so you will look VERY white to all of them!!! lol.

GORGEOUS dress!!!!
Hehe! You''re right! I *better* be the only one in white! Or any shade along those lines!
37.gif
I wish my skin tone looked the same in both pics... it kinda makes it hard to compare. I have no idea why I look so much tanner in the other pic! Or maybe that''s my color and I look lighter in the original pics? lol Who knows! By the way, your dress sounds GORGEOUS! I love organza. I''m going to try to find pics of it!

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
You just posted the pic of yourself in the white dress while I was typing, and it confirmed what I had assumed- that you look beautiful in both! With that said, I think if I were you I''d stick with the off-white. That fabric/color just looks so warm and glowy on you! But, the white does provide a wonderful contrast with your coloring! Sometimes it''s quite obvious which color looks best on someone...but in your case, either way you can''t go wrong (lucky you with that gorgeous coloring)!
1.gif

As far as the bridal shop thinking the designer only carries the one color, I''d just let them know that you emailed the manufacturer, and they let you know that white is still available. Or if you don''t want to do that, I''d let the manufacturer know so they can take care of it. Regardless of what you end up deciding, you may end up helping some other bride that wants to order that color in the future!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely the off white. Most of the time I think it is just more flattering, and even if you can carry the white, the off white looks great. Most people really do not look great in a starker white, it tends to look funny with the undertones of the skin...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can really pull off either, your skin is gorgeous!!! Personally, I like slightly off white because white is so bright and harsh, but I think this is more of a personal opinion than an observation of what looks better on you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results