shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress code/description

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, can someone share what phrases they''d use for dress codes/descriptions?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Almost every wedding invite I''ve received says "semi formal" but I''ve seen wide-ranging definitions of what that means. I think its a fairly neutral, safe option, unless you are having either a really formal or a really informal wedding, and beyond that, people are likely to dress based on the season, location, and their personal level of formality.

For most weddings my DH and I have been to, he usually does a navy or charcoal suit with a colored shirt and tie, and I do a cocktail dress of some variety.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean like...
- Black Tie
- Black Tie Optional (or Invited)
- Cocktail Attire
- Casual Dress
- Business Attire
- Business Casual
- Come as you are

...that kind of thing? For invitations? (I didn''t specify on mine).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly TheBigT! My dad was wanting to put it on our engagement party invites, and I am obviously NOT FOR THAT, but I wanted to give him the dress code to tell people.

I still don''t know what to tell him though...

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Diggin'' your new avi BigT!
36.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:58:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Exactly TheBigT! My dad was wanting to put it on our engagement party invites, and I am obviously NOT FOR THAT, but I wanted to give him the dress code to tell people.

I still don''t know what to tell him though...
What do you want the dress ''code'' to be?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really super casual, but not cocktail attire, and business casual makes me think of polo shirts and khakis. And no shorts. It'll be outside/inside Labor Day weekend, which means it should be 90s during the day, and 60-70s at night. It will be in the evening, around 5:30 or so. And we're talking 100+ people, no idea what kind of food...

This is what I'll be wearing:
Nicole%20miller%20aqua%20dress.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the invite:

engagement party invite PS.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cocktail attire was what we told people for our wedding.

We got one invite for a "semi-formal" event a years ago and then it was followed by the words "jackets required."

If people ask I''d just say something like "nice sundresses and slacks, no jeans and stuff." It''s less... like your dictating attire, and more like you are just answering a question.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. That''s what I said. My dad is weird. (He keeps talking about bratwurst on a stick...being served.)

OMG.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love your dress. For an engagement party, I always think of cocktail attire... The invitation is sooooo pretty!!!
36.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Knowing you and your parties?

"Clothing optional"

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh!

And Erica...THAT''S why you''ve been wanting to come to my parties so bad!!!! It makes sense now...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We have Lounge suit on our invites. Basically we expect the guys to wear a suit not a tux, and not necessarily a tie, and the ladies to wear a nice cocktaily type of dress, doesn''t have to be floor length formal. I guess it''s a step down from the formal black tie, but no jeans, etc.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, love the dress! Who makes it?

Maybe tell your dad to email everyone a reminder about the party about 2 wks beforehand and put the attire suggestion there. That way it''s not on the invite but you won''t have ppl rolling in with jeans etc.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 1:01:37 AM
Author: lliang_chi
Oooh, love the dress! Who makes it?

Maybe tell your dad to email everyone a reminder about the party about 2 wks beforehand and put the attire suggestion there. That way it''s not on the invite but you won''t have ppl rolling in with jeans etc.
It''s from Nicole Miller.

Tee hee. I would have him email people about it, but he doesn''t really know how to use a computer. I don''t even care if people wear jeans--just so long as they are nice jeans, and worn with a nice shirt. I don''t want anyone walking in looking like they''ve come from the beach (hard to do in NM btw), been working out, or working in the yard. You know, nice but not "I have to go out and buy a new outfit/dress" nice.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Special occasion" attire, maybe?

Love your dress, BTW. So Freke... show us the sandals you''ll be wearing with that! You know you want to....
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol! I''m thinking silver or gold, but I don''t know which ones yet...I could go comfy and well worn, or I could go hardly seen the light of day.

Which color do you think? BTW, the color of the pic is pretty true to life.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd lean toward gold (it looks like a warmish turquoise to me) but silver would make more of a statement. Honestly, I think you could go either way with that color... I'd probably pick my jewelry first and let that guide the shoe color.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Freke,

I am not a big fan of all the various dress code "options", which I think mostly mean the same thing anyway. What is the difference between "festive" semi-formal" and cocktail"? There is none! The etiquette rules state that you only need to specify attire if your event is black tie, and then you simply say "black tie". The only exception I can think of would be if your event is held at a club or restaurant where men would not be allowed to enter without a coat and tie, and then I would specify that.

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
OMG I love that dress - the color is fantastic! And your dad sounds hilarious - brat on a stick, LOL, are you sure you''re not from Minnesota?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
That is an amazing dress!
30.gif
I love how the empire waist and the flowiness goes with your wedding dress!

As for the dress code, as a guest, I always appreciate them. I can usually judge from the couple and the location what to wear, but in the instances that I have gotten it wrong, it felt really bad. My only issue is that there just isn''t enough. There needs to be better lingo for the inbetween Black Tie and Casual. I know there is Business Casual and whatnot, but I hate seeing "Business" on a party invitation, you know. And, I don''t really see any difference between Black Tie and Cocktail for women''s attire since short dresses are now a viable option for Black Tie. Is there a cultural translation for "Lounge Suit"? I like Honey''s suggestion, but I would take it as meaning a Juicy sweatsuit or something.

Short of the long = I share your frustration.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bia!

Freke, I love that dress! And the invitation! So cute, yet elegant! And it matches the dress?! Love it.

I know people who specify attire (aside from black tie) on wedding invitations, but it's because they're afraid people might wear jeans/shorts -- which sounds like it might be a concern for your engagement party? I guess if it were me I'd request "festive attire" or something vague.

I've also seen "Dinner Attire" and "Smart Dinner Attire" (which I think is weird).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results