shape
carat
color
clarity

Dress Alterations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplyshort1118

Rough_Rock
I am planning on wearing my grandmother''s wedding dress from the 1950s. It is a beautiful dress, but much to small and long for me. the dress is quite long ( my mother is 5''7, and it was floor length on her.) and I believe the wait is around 25". I''m short (5''2 in heels) and much heaver. We''d have to take in the hem 5 or 6 inches, and get 9 inches added to the waist. How much do you think it will cost? Will it be more expensive then buying a new dress?

Please Help!!!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Are you hoping the extra hem fabric can be pieced into the waist? 9 inches is a lot to add because it changes the arm holes as well. If the dress has long sleeves those could need adjustments too. I think you first better find a seamstress who will work on it. There is a risk in using 60 year old fabric.

Post a photo if you can. It sounds like an interesting project.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert by any means, but hearing how big this project is, I''m concerned that it won''t be doable. Or if it could be done, the expense would be huge! It''s a really sweet thought to wear her dress...Could you work in some other aspects from your mom or grandmother, like wearing their garter instead? Or try to find a dress that''s similar in style as a tribute to your grandmother?

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 1:54:02 AM
Author:simplyshort1118
I am planning on wearing my grandmother''s wedding dress from the 1950s. It is a beautiful dress, but much to small and long for me. the dress is quite long ( my mother is 5''7, and it was floor length on her.) and I believe the wait is around 25''. I''m short (5''2 in heels) and much heaver. We''d have to take in the hem 5 or 6 inches, and get 9 inches added to the waist. How much do you think it will cost? Will it be more expensive then buying a new dress?

Please Help!!!!!
It really depends, I mean you "could" buy a new dress for under $500 the styles for that amount may not be what you want.
I would take the dress to a seamstress and get a quote for the cost of alterations.
The alterations could cost up to $1000 max possibly but you never know until you go and find out.

jammie7979

Rough_Rock
I would take that dress to a seamstress to get a quote and see if it is even doable. That seems like alot of work and in the end the dress may not even look the same. Are you prepare for that outcome? Does your grandmother have jewelry or a handkerchief you could use instead of the dress? That way you have something that was special to her.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
What a charming idea.

How do you feel about it? Did you want to use the dress mainly because you love it or for sentiment?

Def get a seamstress to look it over. Perhaps you could keep a section of the gown and add it to a new design. I mean to keep the bustier section or the skirt section and build a new dress around it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results