shape
carat
color
clarity

Dream wedding dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I love this dress! It's by Jacquelin Exclusives. I've come so close to buying it online several times, but kept hesitating because I haven't been able to see it in a store within a 100 mile or more radius (and I live in LA). My wedding will be in Massachusetts though, and since I'm going there next week to visit my folks and get a bunch of planning done, I decided to see if there are any stores near them that carry the designer. Lo and behold, a salon in NH actually has the dress! And in the colors I want! I can at least see what it looks like in person, now. Plus, NH is tax free, if I decide to buy it there. I'm so thrilled.

Jac1th.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
The pics are kind of small, so here''s the link:

view 2

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
It''s SO lovely!! I love everything about it ... so delicate and pretty!!

Good luck with seeing it/trying it on in person!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I also meant to ask, if anyone has seen similar style dresses, please post them! In particular, I like the fitted look, short or no train, and v-neck. Sleeveless or cap sleeves are both fine. I like that it looks feminine but not frilly, even with the all-over lace. I think it has a 1940''s feel to it, which is turning out to be a theme with me and this wedding.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a photo

7094.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I remember running across that one too! It''s so pretty! But too beachy?? Really? If I recall, isn''t your wedding oceanside, in RI? I think that would be perfect for you.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, we're by the ocean in Newport, but we're not really doing a beachy wedding -- we're not getting married on the beach (a la an island wedding) or doing a beachy theme.

It's really a lovely dress though. I'm surprised that I haven't heard of/seen anyone wearing it yet on any Web sites! I guess it's not a big seller, according to the stores. I think you need to be in pretty good shape to wear it, because the fabric wasn't very forgiving -- I'm thin and I was still like "oh hello belly"
1.gif

But I'm sure with the right undergarments, it'd be gorgeous! Those sleeves are just heavenly -- they gave me that "I'm a princess!" feeling without the princessy ballgown look (that isn't me!).

I really LOVE your dream dress though!!

By the way, where are you getting married in Mass? (I've tried searching posts but can't find it.)

ETA: I think by "too beachy" they meant that it has more of a "getting married ON the beach" type of feel to it.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Oh Selkie, you''re going to look so pretty in that dress!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
What did you end up choosing for your dress? Did you look at other Watters? They have a couple others I''m interested in.

That''s my big concern with the fitted dress, the belly factor. The Watters probably wouldn''t work for me for that reason, it looks very stretchy. I think the dress I like has a fairly unstretchy satin underdress, plus I''ve still got a year to get rid of a little extra padding
40.gif
. And to search for ironclad undergarments. I remember the girdles my grandmother used to wear...man, those things were scary. But I guess they worked.

I''m getting married on a boat, actually. There''s a thread somewhere, if you search using my username or sailboat. It''s a wooden schooner, the Thomas E. Lannon, in Gloucester. So beachy definitely works for me!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie - I LOVE that Jacquelin Exclusives too!
It''s in my saved gowns file on the knot and on my desktop!
Do you know how much it runs price wise?
I''m in MA too. Hehehe. MA Brides have similar taste I guess .
2.gif

Scintillating...

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 6:06:09 PM
Author: Scintillating
Selkie - I LOVE that Jacquelin Exclusives too!
It's in my saved gowns file on the knot and on my desktop!
Do you know how much it runs price wise?
I'm in MA too. Hehehe. MA Brides have similar taste I guess .
2.gif

Scintillating...

Cool! Where in Mass. are you from?

I think the list price is $850. The lowest price I've seen online, at Houseofbrides.com, is $595. Jay's Bridal was willing to price match that. RK Bridal also carries Jacquelin, but even though they have styles 9531 and 9533 shown on the site, they don't have that one!? I figured they still might be able to order it, but haven't spoken to them yet. They price match too, plus an extra 5% off.

I'm planning to bring the online price to the salon in NH (Marry and Tux Bridal, in Nashua) and see if they can come close to it. Even if they charge a little more, I don't mind paying a bit extra for the service.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I think Scintillating and I are neighbors
1.gif

I went with the Watters 2039b -- the same as LizzieC''s. It''s not lacy, but it''s very feminine and delicate and quite flattering. The scrunchy waist (I know there''s a better word for it, I just can''t think of it right now) is very slimming and hides a lot!

Selkie, I just found your thread about your sailboat wedding -- hah, I love the ideas of the favor bags with dramamine in them! As a motion sickness-prone girl, I''m all about the dramamine!! And I love the Gloucester area -- such a taste of New England for your out-of-towners!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, that''s Jacqueline Exclusive dress is gorgeous. It''ll look lovely on your tall frame.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I ADORE that dress.. I think you should get it.. It reminds me of my grandmas wedding dress.. which I am in love with.. hehe.. It is a take off on the style of the Monique L''huillier dresses..but I know those are unrealistic for most people. :)

Since you asked for similar styles.. here are a few.. These are all from Symphony Bridals, which was the deisgner of my wedding gown..they tend to make knockoffs.. but I don''t have a problem with knockoffs..

S1804_F.jpg

1707_F.jpg

If you like a bit more sleeve..
1729_F.jpg
(this is a "version" of a Maggie dress. :) )

There is also this watters bridesmaid dress that can be ordered in all white (i think the sash has to match the skirt.. but you could always replae the sash..).. which I LOOOVE.. and would be nice if you want to forgo the train.
http://www.watters.com/product.php?coll=watters&showid=468

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh.... That dress is gorgeous!!!! Seriously, if I hadn''t already found the perfect gown for me I''d be on the plane to NH with you!! (I''m in SoCal too, lol)

Be sure to get pictures if you can!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 8:20:13 PM
Author: ellaila
I think Scintillating and I are neighbors
1.gif

I went with the Watters 2039b -- the same as LizzieC''s. It''s not lacy, but it''s very feminine and delicate and quite flattering. The scrunchy waist (I know there''s a better word for it, I just can''t think of it right now) is very slimming and hides a lot!

Selkie, I just found your thread about your sailboat wedding -- hah, I love the ideas of the favor bags with dramamine in them! As a motion sickness-prone girl, I''m all about the dramamine!! And I love the Gloucester area -- such a taste of New England for your out-of-towners!
Oh, wow, I just saw the rose embroidery detail on your dress! That is amazing, especially coupled with the simple style of the dress. So beautiful. LizzieC looked terrific in it, and I''m sure you will too!

Even though we live in CA, there was never any question that the wedding would be back in New England, or on a boat. I''m really looking forward to seeing what his family thinks of it. It''s going to be a bit of culture shock for his family, who all live in Florida. Most of my friends are either still living there, grew up there, or have at least visited.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Selflove and qtiekiki, thanks! Having met me, you guys have an idea of my build, and I''m glad you think it would be flattering. It''s so hard to tell, which I why I really wanted to see it before blindly ordering it. I plan to try on other dresses while I''m at the shop, too. Might as well make an occasion of it!
31.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links, gypsy and MelissaSue. If you're going to knock-off a designer, there are certainly worse choices than Monique L'h. I never bothered before, because I knew there was no way, but I went to her site to check out which dress it resembles. Great dresses, but the POSES they had the models in were ridiculous! Hello, I want to see the dress, not your bizarrely s-shaped spine or your ability to mimic a CPR dummy!

I like the middle three of the Symphony dresses best, simple lines, pretty lace. I thought your dress was beautiful, was it a Maggie copy too? I'll have to check them out.

Speaking of Maggie, OCBride, you definitely got the perfect dress for you. The back detail with the buttons and sash is what really got me about it. It gives it a really unique feel.

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 12:06:07 AM
Author: Selkie
Thanks for the links, gypsy and MelissaSue. If you''re going to knock-off a designer, there are certainly worse choices than Monique L''h. I never bothered before, because I knew there was no way, but I went to her site to check out which dress it resembles. Great dresses, but the POSES they had the models in were ridiculous! Hello, I want to see the dress, not your bizarrely s-shaped spine or your ability to mimic a CPR dummy!

I like the middle three of the Symphony dresses best, simple lines, pretty lace. I thought your dress was beautiful, was it a Maggie copy too? I''ll have to check them out.

Speaking of Maggie, OCBride, you definitely got the perfect dress for you. The back detail with the buttons and sash is what really got me about it. It gives it a really unique feel.
You made me laugh out loud with that one... I was looking in Modern Bride today, and to top off the toothpick shaped models, there is one poor gal with the most unnatractive face... It does NOT make me think of the elegant, blushing bride I hope to be!!

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on my dress!!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
That is a really pretty dress, Selkie, and I like the alternative choices posted for it under this thread too. If you get this, I''d love to see it on you. I agree that the dress models always look completely unrealistic and ridiculous.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Selkie, whats not to love...it is absolutely gorgeous! You should just get it!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 7:01:05 PM
Author: Selkie

I think the list price is $850. The lowest price I''ve seen online, at Houseofbrides.com, is $595. Jay''s Bridal was willing to price match that. RK Bridal also carries Jacquelin, but even though they have styles 9531 and 9533 shown on the site, they don''t have that one!? I figured they still might be able to order it, but haven''t spoken to them yet. They price match too, plus an extra 5% off.

I''m planning to bring the online price to the salon in NH (Marry and Tux Bridal, in Nashua) and see if they can come close to it. Even if they charge a little more, I don''t mind paying a bit extra for the service.
Selkie: You may want to consider Vow Wows on Main Street in Nashua as well, if you''re considering Nashua shops.

I found my wedding dress on a getaway weekend with my MOH in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I didn''t buy it there because they had it only in white, and I wanted ivory. When I returned home, I phoned nearly every bridal shop in the North Shore area including southern NH.

Vow Wows was much cheaper for my dress than many other shops. Standard charge was $550; some shops charged up to $680; I got it for $432 at Vow Wows.

Service was great - order went smoothly; arrived on time, and she does a kick-ASS job with alterations!

Chi

Shiny_Rock
Wow Selkie - I love that dress...I hope you get it...
9.gif

It''s timeless...classic...a hint of colour...simply unique

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I really do want to get it, I was just concerned about not seeing it at all, and also not having had measurements taken at a salon. I did see the dress that Faerievert wore, in the same mocha and ivory, and it was GORGEOUS in person, so I felt good about that.

It says it has a corset bodice, does that mean it has internal boning and I might not need a bra? That would be great! I was thinking of a corset bodice as the lace-up type, but it definitely doesn''t have lacing in the back.

I''ll have to check out Vow Wow too Alj. I had sworn off visiting more bridal salons, but broke down when I found out Marry and Tux has it in stock.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i love that dress. it''s stunning!!! get it
9.gif

That dress is really pretty! One concern though...it is really low cut! Just something I noticed. I couldn''t wear it ''cause I got nothin'' to hold it up. It is very beautiful though. Hope you get to try it on!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 11:16:16 PM
Author: ***SplitShanksRock***
That dress is really pretty! One concern though...it is really low cut! Just something I noticed. I couldn''t wear it ''cause I got nothin'' to hold it up. It is very beautiful though. Hope you get to try it on!

Heh...yeah, I''d noticed that too. I''d prefer not be displaying that much of my, um, wares, so I figure I''ll look into ways to alter it. Maybe a lace inset or something, or maybe they can reduce the depth of the plunge. Gotta be something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results