shape
carat
color
clarity

Down to the wire - advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AsahelGrey

Rough_Rock
G'day,

First off, I really have appreciated this site. It has helped my search for the best diamond I can find/afford enormously.

The final choice seems to come down to these two:
a 1.08 D VS2 with a HCA score of 0.9 (ex-ex-ex-ex) $AU16500, and
a 1.03 D VS2 with a HCA score of 2.7 (vg-vg-vg-vg) $AU14500.

The question becomes : is the difference between a Very Good and an Excellent appreciable to the human eye? Is it worth $US1100? ANY advice to help sort this out would be *vastly* appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Asahel Grey.

mrmarius

Rough_Rock
If the money is acceptable to you, I would go with the larger stone hands down, based on the HCA scores. I got my fiancee a stone that scored a 1.2, and we were out in the sun the other day and I was looking at her ring, and there were a few flashes off that stone that actually blinded me for a sec. It was really amazing. No exaggeration!

Do you have the opportunity to look at the stones through an ideal-scope? That might help you make a decision.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Hi,
In most cases if the g.i.a cert. reads ex,ex it should be a very nice stone,as g.i.a doesnot give it very easily.of course there are other factors that give the "firey " appearence,such as table,depth,flour. etc...We for example take the time to explain all the details on the cert.to the consumer,therefore making him comfortable with his purchase. (as we dont want him to return the stone and loose the sale).
I think you should compare prices and see who gives you the best deal and the best stone for the amount of money you want to spend.

good luck
diamondsman:))

AsahelGrey

Rough_Rock
Some more information in case it helps:

1.08 D VS2 H&A AGS000
6.65-6.72 x 4.03mm
Depth% = 60.2
Table% = 56
Crown = 34.1
Pavil = 40.9
Girdle = 0.7-1.3%
Culet = 0.2%
Fluor = None

1.03 D VS2 AGS000
6.44-6.46 x 4.03mm
Depth% = 62.5
Table% = 56
Crown = 35.1
Pavil = 41.1
Girdle = 1.2-2.0%
Culet = "pointed"
Fluor = None

As you may guess this is kind of important to me.... and as either would need to be bought sight unseen I want to get it right.

Thanks.

mrmarius

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/20/2002 8:09:57 AM

:wavey: Hi,
In most cases if the g.i.a cert. reads ex,ex it should be a very nice stone,as g.i.a doesnot give it very easily.
----------------

I think the "ex-ex-ex-ex" asahel was referring to was the four ratings from the HCA, not things from the cert?

AsahelGrey

Rough_Rock
I think the "ex-ex-ex-ex" asahel was referring to was the four ratings from the HCA, not things from the cert?
----------------

Correct.
Any further opinions anyone? I need to get back to one of the suppliers today... and whilst I'm sure they're both lovely - is the difference in price likely to be "worth it"? :confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
AsahelGrey,

I'm not going to tell you which one you should buy - just some food for thoughts.

#1 is ideal cut stone while #2 is deeper cut (steeper than ideal crown and deeper pavilion). What does it mean for you?

1. #2 has more light leakage. You might or might not be able to see the difference. However, you also won't probably see the difference between D and E colors but agree to pay premium.

2. #2 has smaller diameter (spread) for its weight, i.e. more carat weight for smaller diameter.

3. 0.98 carat ideal cut diamond has the same diameter as #2 but costs less.

If you want to safe some $, you can go with ideal cut 0.98 - it will have same visible size as #2.

Hope this helps :)

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
The more expensive stone costs more both because it is larger, and because of the cut. The price-per-carat is 7.8% more. But hey -- the diamond cutter probably wasted 10% more material making it -- so the price difference is fair if you can spend it.

AsahelGrey

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much - just the kind of help I was after. :appl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results