shape
carat
color
clarity

Don’t mess with my stuffing...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started crying because my husband wanted to put raisins in the stuffing this year. The compromise is that we will make two separate batches. What holiday dish is sacred to you?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all are! Luckily, I am only cooking for myself, therefore, I can do whatever I like!

And that means no stuffing for the bird (a goose this year) as I don't like stuffing.

DK :lol-2:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all are! Luckily, I am only cooking for myself, therefore, I can do whatever I like!

And that means no stuffing for the bird (a goose this year) as I don't like stuffing.

What are you doing to your goose? What will you serve with it?

We have a lot of wild duck in our house. Very different than your goose but still fatty and delicious.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are you doing to your goose? What will you serve with it?

We have a lot of wild duck in our house. Very different than your goose but still fatty and delicious.

Most likely to be the same way I would roast a duck, for the bird to be rubbed over inside and out with a marinade made with Chinese 5-spice powder, light soya sauce, rice wine or vodka, chopped garlic and ginger, and ground pepper.

Then put the bird in a roasting tin in a fridge uncovered until 25 Dec to dry out the skin.

I would do the same with a slap of belly pork with skin and bones in place for the 26 Dec.

I am collecting the goose and the belly pork on 22 Dec from the farm shop (order placed), so that I could start the drying process on 22 Dec.

I shall empty my outside fridge in the shed that I am using as my beer fridge for the meats.

For the goose, I shall serve it with all the trimmings: pigs in blankets with extras for the pets, roast potatoes, parsnips and a couple of carrots to add a bit of colour :lol-2:, stir-fried vegetables that will include the likes of fine beans, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts, and mushrooms.

No gravy as I do not like my food swimming in a sauce. I shall make a tangy sauce of some sort (my own "duck" sauce with Hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, rice wine or vodka, light soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce etc.) to cut the richness of the meat, to have it in a side dish for dunking.

Not sure if I would have Yorkshire puddings, however, they are on the card, as the dog likes them.

For the leftover goose, and I am hoping there will be lots, I shall make the following:
- fried rice (freezes very well)
- spicy noodle soup (or save the meat in portions for freezing, ready for reheat in a frying pan)
- goose pancake with my duck sauce, sliced spring onion and cucumber (instead of using duck, again I can save the meat in portions for freezing until required)
- rillette (lasts a long time in the fridge)
- confit the two drumsticks (for the freeze for later use)

In the past with a duck, there was not enough meat leftover to make rillette and confit, and am hoping there will be enough leftover from a 4-5kg goose!

Just this morning, I went to check to make sure I have sufficient plastic pouches and uncut tube for making vacuum-sealed pouches for the freezer. I would need 2 longer than usual pieces to accommodate the drumsticks, which I can cut to size from a tube.

Although I am on my own by choice, I am not going to skim on the food and drink, that much is certain!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like traditional sage and onion stuffing with my turkey, but DH likes pork and chestnut. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get any, so I think it’ll just be sage and onion.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuffing of any kind always reminds me of the meal my aunt-to-be made for the first Christmas I spent in the UK with my uncle.

The stuffing she made was truly horrid, made worse by a turkey that was very dry! :sick:

Before the big day, I opened the fridge and said why were there dishes of rolled up bacon in gravy? They turned out to be her sherry trifle efforts! :sick:

It might have been very ungrateful on my part, however, there were other issues with her that I shan't reveal.

She was a lousy cook, sorry! I had to cook more for myself to avoid her cooking!

Luckily that was the only Christmas I spent with my uncle and my aunt-to-be due to disagreements between the two families, and I moved out to live with another family friend instead.

DK :confused2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I just remembered ... as a kid my dad put oysters in stuffing.
YUCK! I wanted to hurl.

I made such a big deal complaining, so the following year he put the oyster stuffing in the neck side of the cavity and regular in the other side.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have two beloved recipes:
Unbelievable Rolls Recipe | Allrecipes
Oh my word, these are so amazing. People beg me to make them...but not me, I just follow the recipe.

Also apple pie: secret is a lot of cinnamon and a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. Sugar and salts depend on how much sweet the apples have. Hubby's co-worker have asked him for pie. I have a reputation ;-)

I was going to write down the recipe, but hubbs wants to strut around like it's magic. It is not. It is lemon juice. Men can be so silly.

XOXO Happy Thanksgiving folks

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely to be the same way I would roast a duck, for the bird to be rubbed over inside and out with a marinade made with Chinese 5-spice powder, light soya sauce, rice wine or vodka, chopped garlic and ginger, and ground pepper.

Then put the bird in a roasting tin in a fridge uncovered until 25 Dec to dry out the skin.

I would do the same with a slap of belly pork with skin and bones in place for the 26 Dec.

I am collecting the goose and the belly pork on 22 Dec from the farm shop (order placed), so that I could start the drying process on 22 Dec.

I shall empty my outside fridge in the shed that I am using as my beer fridge for the meats.

For the goose, I shall serve it with all the trimmings: pigs in blankets with extras for the pets, roast potatoes, parsnips and a couple of carrots to add a bit of colour :lol-2:, stir-fried vegetables that will include the likes of fine beans, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts, and mushrooms.

No gravy as I do not like my food swimming in a sauce. I shall make a tangy sauce of some sort (my own "duck" sauce with Hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, rice wine or vodka, light soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce etc.) to cut the richness of the meat, to have it in a side dish for dunking.

Not sure if I would have Yorkshire puddings, however, they are on the card, as the dog likes them.

For the leftover goose, and I am hoping there will be lots, I shall make the following:
- fried rice (freezes very well)
- spicy noodle soup (or save the meat in portions for freezing, ready for reheat in a frying pan)
- goose pancake with my duck sauce, sliced spring onion and cucumber (instead of using duck, again I can save the meat in portions for freezing until required)
- rillette (lasts a long time in the fridge)
- confit the two drumsticks (for the freeze for later use)

In the past with a duck, there was not enough meat leftover to make rillette and confit, and am hoping there will be enough leftover from a 4-5kg goose!

Just this morning, I went to check to make sure I have sufficient plastic pouches and uncut tube for making vacuum-sealed pouches for the freezer. I would need 2 longer than usual pieces to accommodate the drumsticks, which I can cut to size from a tube.

Although I am on my own by choice, I am not going to skim on the food and drink, that much is certain!

Good lord all of this food sounds amazing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple pie and stuffing. That is all I need.

applepiebakedbygreg.jpg

stuffing.jpg

:lickout:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I forget, happy cooking and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

DK :))

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I forget, happy cooking and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Same to you! I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I just remembered ... as a kid my dad put oysters in stuffing.
YUCK! I wanted to hurl.

I made such a big deal complaining, so the following year he put the oyster stuffing in the neck side of the cavity and regular in the other side.

Ha! My mom did the same and it's now a tradition/must have in my household. So moist. One year, I couldn't find fresh oysters and went sausage/cornbread...but my family said it was good but not the same. So I always do oyster for Thanksgiving and save other types for the rest of the year.

Happy Thanksgiving All~

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my mum was a good cook but if her time
she was not big on herbs and spices
i remember my aunty 's stuffing was so flavoursom with lots of sage in
mum's stuffing was bland so i never ate it

i would love to try all your stuffings
even the ones with raisins (im not usually a fan of raisins ) and oysters in
ive never seen stuffing made as a a designated side dish although last year Gary made too much so we did cook some separately
i love the stuffing in store cooked rotisserie chicken

Starfacet Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Trade
My family's dressing recipe is my go-to during the holidays. I guess I could say it's sacred! (We don't stuff the turkey, just make it in a pan, so it's "dressing" :D) Another recipe that hasn't quite reached sacred status but has become a favorite of ours is cardamom sweet potatoes. I'll be popping baking dishes of both of those recipes in the oven in about 30 minutes.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner since 2006. this was the year . It was very small; me, him, the dog. the dog had her separate dinner made just for her (no seasonings, turkey thigh, green beans, rice, sweet potato)

We had cornish hens from a farm few miles away, green beans, and dirty rice with flourless chocolate cake for dessert (I'm not the biggest chocolate freak but he is)

Not sure how I'm going to manage christmas dinner...lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In true 2020 form, I ruined my stuffing! This year needs to end already!

I'm sure it was delicious!!!!

But for sure 2020 is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In true 2020 form, I ruined my stuffing! This year needs to end already!

Earlier today I had a mini meltdown. Its def. because of the stress of not only holiday but 2020 in general. (hugs) its just stuffing and it was the raisins fault...lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner since 2006. this was the year . It was very small; me, him, the dog. the dog had her separate dinner made just for her (no seasonings, turkey thigh, green beans, rice, sweet potato)

We had cornish hens from a farm few miles away, green beans, and dirty rice with flourless chocolate cake for dessert (I'm not the biggest chocolate freak but he is)

sounds perfect

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Earlier today I had a mini meltdown. Its def. because of the stress of not only holiday but 2020 in general. (hugs) its just stuffing and it was the raisins fault...lol

dedinatly blame the raisins - vial little things that they are
tomorrow will be better becsuse you can tick thanks giving off your to do list

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am certain you will be fine on Christmas Day, good luck!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am certain you will be fine on Christmas Day, good luck!

this is the time of year I really miss going out to the more swanky restaurants (turkey day, our anniversary, my birthday, christmas, new years, dogs birthday :cry2: ) But, my husband said that he would take care of Christmas...hamburgers or steak. We'll figure out the rest as it goes along.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is the time of year I really miss going out to the more swanky restaurants (turkey day, our anniversary, my birthday, christmas, new years, dogs birthday :cry2: ) But, my husband said that he would take care of Christmas...hamburgers or steak. We'll figure out the rest as it goes along.

Steak, and I can share the recipes of my steak sauces if you need one.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make a cornbread stuffing every year, it's my own recipe and everybody loves it. We typically have a large Thanksgiving. It was only the people who live in the house this year, my daughter, husband and I. Happy Covidsgiving.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results