shape
carat
color
clarity

Doing your own makeup?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
FI took me to ulta tonight and I got a foundation primer and an eyeshadow primer. I paid up the butt for them but I''m doing my own makeup for the wedding and want to look good so I''m willing to spend the extra. I promise I''ll do a mini review for all you ladies out their doing your makeup and let you know if its worth it :) I believe the brand is called Studio. The foundation primer was $30 and the eyeshadow primer was $15

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I''ve wondered the same thing, if doing my own makeup would be worth it. I use Bare Minerals and it makes my skin look great. I''m just not very good at eyeshadows and shading and would probably still need help with that.

Smurfy are you pretty good at doing makeup? Just curious because I don''t think I''m that good haha. I''m usually just a foundation/mascara kind of gal.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
If you are nervous about it, there are lots of books and videos out there to help you. Bobbi Brown and Kevin Aucoin are two that come to mind. I don't know how you could really go wrong though Smurfy, as you are so lovely looking anyway!

mrowmrowsmom

Rough_Rock
I am doing my own makeup. The only advice I have that I thought was important was from a photographer. She said to stay away from shimmery stuff (eyeshadow, blush, luminizing creams). It looks really good in person, but in photos it can really reflect the flash in strange ways. She showed me a pic of a bride who had used a white shimmer shadow under her brows and in the corner of her eye, and it definitely looked weird.

I am a makeup junkie, so I love my primers. I''m guessing you will love them too!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
You can youtube different ways in like real time for make up tips some of them are really good :).

I would say I am fairly good at my make-up though a little lazy most of the time but from time to time I love to play in front of the mirror when I have no where to go and practice, I come up with some of my best looks this way ;-)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know which Ulta you are talking about. I go to Ulta all the time! They usually never have what I'm going there for though. lol! But, you can get some major good deals there if you have an Ulta card and use Ulta coupons.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did my own, but I''ve had a lot of makeup experience over the years. Hair... not so much. So I had that done at a salon, and I''m so glad I did.

I love BeckaOfSweden''s youtube videos. They''re AWESOME. I''m shooting for "natural everyday look" 95% of the time I do my makeup, so I used her for some fun evening/clubbing/glam looks recently. She does also have videos for natural and everyday makeup, too. I especially loved her walkthrough on contouring, which is something I hadn''t dared to broach before the wedding. So glad I did that day.

Here''s a good one:
Golden Bronze Look

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 11:41:03 AM
Author: Dreamgirl
I know which Ulta you are talking about. I go to Ulta all the time! They usually never have what I''m going there for though. lol! But, you can get some major good deals there if you have an Ulta card and use Ulta coupons.

Hehe I live about 5 minutes from that store and it takes all my restraint to stay away! But they had a 5 for $10 thing going on and I couldn''t stay away lol I only meant to get that but ended up with more!

Also for the record, I think I am horrid with makeup, I think I got lucky with my avatar picture hahaha :)

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
The best advice I have about eyeshadow is go to Mac.. tell them you want whatever color u want and that u want them to show you a variety of ways to apply it. I did it and they taught me how to do the smokey eyes and everything.. and how to apply it better so it stays longer and looks more natural...

I am definitely doing my own makeup.. I feel like I know my face better than anyone else and I know exactly what I want and how it will look good to my liking... plus you can try it as many times as you want till you get it right... and then you can just practice your favorite look... and plus eyeshadows are sooo much fun!! :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My girls and I are doing our own makeup too (hair is another story)! I was just going to ask the bridesmaids to bring their own stuff, since I want them to wear what they''re comfortable with. I''ll also have some of my unused extras on hand in case anyone needs something, so they can just use it and take it home.

Here''s the question with regard to bridesmaids though. In all the weddings I''ve seen where they had makeup professionally done, the eyeshadow color matched the dresses. However, the one wedding I''ve been a bridesmaid in had light blue dresses, and the light blue eyeshadow looked terrible on me, a green-eyed brunette. Would the girls look weird if they wear all different eyeshadows? They''re in different dresses, but all the same color (sage green) and length (tea length). They''ll also be wearing different shoes (but again, all in the same color, silver). So my bridesmaids are already starting with an intentionally off-uniform look. Would green eyeshadow help bring them all together, in a nice way? Or would it be OK or even preferable for them to do their own thing?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
im gonna be brave and put on my big girl pants today...here goes...the before picture
hahah, be back with a hopefully better after picture :)

Photo 426.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
after picture
ignore the fact that i need chap stick lol

Photo 430.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
here''s my eyes
my goal is always to make them look bluer but apparently that didnt work so well today lol
sorry this is such a weird creepy picture haha

Photo 427.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
ok overall i have to say that the primer definitely helped my makeup stay on smoother
supposedly it corrects inperfections but the only real flaw i have is dark circles under my eyes which can easily be cured by not staying up all night playing video games with fi
but yeah so i dont know if it helps that, but it also supposedly will help my makeup stay on all day, ill report back tonight to let you guys know, btw, the brand is called studio gear

sugary

Rough_Rock
I use the Photofinish primer by Smashbox and I know what you mean about your foundation going on flawlessly! During the daytime I only use the primer and it makes my skin look luminous.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's with just foundation, right?

I wish I could cure my dark circles just by getting enough sleep. Mine are my constant companion, no matter what I eat or how much I sleep...
20.gif

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Smurfy, to make your eyes look bluer, try brown pencil eyeliner. Smudge it into the lash line. Also use brown on your eyelids, and then a light champagne color on top, just under your brows. Then, either use more mascara (black) or experiment with false lashes, to make your eyes really pop.

I''m doing my own makeup. I wear it everyday and I''ve acquired a ton of tips and tricks by watching Carmindy on What Not to Wear. She also has a website, www.Carmindy.com.

The various bridal and women''s magazines also sometimes have good tips, but the trick is to know which things will work best for YOU, as these articles tend to be general.

Some other tips:
--Dab a tiny bit of white shimmery eyeshadow at the inside corners of your eyes. Opens your eyes and makes you look really awake.
--Don''t use mineral foundation when you''re going to be photographed. The minerals have light-reflecting properties that makes your face look way more pale than any of the rest of your skin, and results in strange looking photos.
-- Use an eyelash curler. Use it before you put on your mascara.
-- Make sure your eyebrows are well defined. Pluck/shape them properly and then use a small bit of eyebrow pencil if you have lighter-colored brows.
-- For eyeshadow, use a color opposite to your eye color to make your eyes pop. For brown eyes, try a khaki green or navy blue. For blue and hazel eyes, try brown. Brown eyes can also use a deep violet -- very pretty (I have brown eyes).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should also consider waterlining to make your eyecolor pop. This makes a huge difference in me with my green eyes.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys :)
I actually use the foundation mousse for the foundation, I find that works best. I used brown eyeliner but maybe i didnt put it on dark enough? I also used blue mascara on the lashes. I used a darker brown eyeshadow and eyeshadow primer too :) I did put white in the corners of the eyes too but i think the purple got mixed in with it somehow lol

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Musey, what''s waterlining?? I''m kind of a makeup moron . . .

Smurfy, I have blue eyes, similar in color to yours, and I have found if I wear a (subtle) greenish or brown or gold eyeshadow they look REALLY blue; also if I stay neutral with grays. If I wear purples, they start too look green!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Smurfy- I honestly don''t see a difference! lol I''m sorry.... You are however, a beautiful lady.
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 5:13:50 PM
Author: TheBigT
Musey, what's waterlining?? I'm kind of a makeup moron . . .
Oh T, your approach to eye makeup is about to change...
3.gif

Seriously, it's my favorite makeup discovery of the past few years.

Waterlining How-To Video

I'm not super excited about the particular results on this girl (it looks too strong on her to me, maybe because it's the only eye makeup she has on), but it's very subtly striking on certain people.

I waterline on the top lid only for a daytime look, and all the way around for evening. For people with dark lashes it can even replace mascara (for me I still need/want mascara since my lashes are so light.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 5:54:50 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Smurfy- I honestly don't see a difference! lol I'm sorry.... You are however, a beautiful lady.
2.gif
I didn't either, I thought it was just foundation!

Smurfy, if you want a super-natural "I'm not even wearing makeup" look, what you did is great. You look pretty and fresh-faced and 100% makeup free. If you want something a little more striking, then I'd recommend curling your lashes and using a lot heavier application than you did.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that the makeup on your wedding day (or at any event which you will be photographed) is not for the in-person appearance, it's for your pictures. It's very easy to look blah in pictures, because they're still and 2-dimensional, where in real life you're getting all the dimension that motion adds. Your face needs some extra oomph to even look like "you" in pictures.

People on my wedding day commented that I was one of the most natural-looking brides they'd ever seen. Yet I was wearing primer +foundation, 2 shades of blush (one for contouring and one to flush my cheeks), eyeliner, heavy (not dark, but heavy) eyeshadow in 5 different shades, eyebrow shadow and wax, mascara, lipliner and tinted gloss.

I would suggest going what feels like very heavy on your makeup and then taking pictures with flash. You'll see how much your face "flattens" when captured by a camera.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what Musey said. I work with news reporters in my job, and in person they lsometimes ook horrific -- makeup just PILED on, like they did it with a spatula. But on camera they look beautiful and perfect. Now, I''m not saying you should wear so much makeup you look horrible in person on your wedding day!!! But, put on a lot more than you think you need. You will still look fine in person and beautiful in the pics.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
now that i think of it, i''ve been doing my makeup this same ways for years and i first did want to learn how to create a look that looked like i had no makeup, i guess i had just forgot about that and gotten into the habit of doing it this way lol. I''ll have to try the eyes a little different and get back to you guys haha

About the primer and foundation- it stayed on even through a 4 hour nap on the couch, horray!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i think im a makeup failure lol
32.gif

here i tried to be a bit more bold, am i at least heading in the right direction?

Photo 432.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
heres the eyeshadow with eyes closed, i dont know why they look shimmery, i used regular power eyeshadow
40.gif

Photo 437.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
eyes close up

ok let me have it :) id also like you guys to know that this is the first time i have used an eyelash curler. i had it in my makeup box but never bothered to try to use it lol

Photo 441.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here are some really good makeup tips because finding the right balance is hard...

1. When doing your own makeup, its important to remember that wearing more is okay. Skin on film picks up really weird...acne can cover really nicely, however scabbed over acne photographs horribly. So, I suggest wearing a cover up, base, bamboo powder, and bronzer. Apply foundation only in the "t" zone (forehead and bridge of the nose) working the product outwards and up. The skin only really produces oil in that area.

2. Skip the blush, wear a bronzer. I prefer using a creme bronzer or a multi tone bronzer so that you don''t end up looking dirty. Do not apply it to the tip of your nose, or chin...you''ll look like a drunk in the pictures.

3. DO NOT racoon your eyes with concealor...you only need it from the tearducts blending out. To much makeup under the eye will look cakey, and gross. Also, don''t panic if you still feel "dark" under the eyes, thats actually the reflection of your nose bone...it will not photograph nearly as dark.

4. DO use a light liner on the inner lid of your lower lashes...it will open and brighten your eyes wonderfully

5. Don''t be afraid of color! Plums, lavenders, roses, golds, and green''s all photograph lovely. If using a highlighter, choose a creme one, and lightly apply it under the brow...this will open your eyes too!

6. I like to avoid lipstick. For my brides, I like natural lips since there will be lots of kissing and lipstick can sometimes dry and crack on the lips...not to mention in blk/wht photo''s red lipstick photographs black (eekk). I like a soft pink gloss (mint flavored!).

7. If you''re tanning, do not buy your foundation until a day or two before the wedding, tanning often changes skin tones daily.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
wow italia, thanks a lot :) Those tips are really good, i think i always put too much concealer under my eyes *sigh* if only i didnt have dark circles at all...bleh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results