shape
carat
color
clarity

Dog and Cat Foods - Better Choices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi - I realized I should start a separate thread on this, for anyone who is interested, rather than intruding on Finding Neverland''s thread. FN - I am sorry about that, and again, so sorry for your loss.

Blenheim - here''s a dog food reviews link, I''ll see what other ones I can dig up. I know I''ve heard good reviews from people feeding Canidae, Innova, and Natural Balance (the "logs" of food they make can be cut up into tiny pieces and make excellent training treats).

Also, for those of you who missed the cat food link I posted in the other thread, here it is again

I know we have a lot of pet lovers and owners here on PS, and I really encourage you to look into feeding your pets some of these higher-quality food options, for the health of your animals.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whole Dog Journal also regularly ranks dog foods. Some that we like that made it onto their list are: Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover''s Soul and Nutro Natural Choice.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey AG I am in the SFBA and would love to get more information from your vet re: the Innova or alternative foods for cats with special needs. I know that some other ones must exist but like I said our pet sells the Hills prescription formula so I''m sure they''re not about to recommend something different. Chloe likes the food and she hasn''t had a urinary tract problem or kidney stone since eating it, which is good. But I want to make sure she''s getting the most nutritious food possible.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 3:06:39 PM
Author:AmberGretchen
Hi - I realized I should start a separate thread on this, for anyone who is interested, rather than intruding on Finding Neverland's thread. FN - I am sorry about that, and again, so sorry for your loss.

Blenheim - here's a dog food reviews link, I'll see what other ones I can dig up. I know I've heard good reviews from people feeding Canidae, Innova, and Natural Balance (the 'logs' of food they make can be cut up into tiny pieces and make excellent training treats).

Also, for those of you who missed the cat food link I posted in the other thread, here it is again

I know we have a lot of pet lovers and owners here on PS, and I really encourage you to look into feeding your pets some of these higher-quality food options, for the health of your animals.

Thanks for the link! As of now, we're feeding Sally 'DVP's Natural Balance Duck and Potato', which is a 4 star food according to the website you posted. Sally does very well on it and has for a year and a half. I've been thinking of going to Solid Gold (I hear it's good to switch up every 6 months or so), but she's prone to allergies and I've been afraid to switch. We'll see, depending on availability when we move.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
The whole issue of "healthy" foods for cats and dogs seems highly contentious. Every person, vet, website, etc. has their own opinion on good and bad foods, and most blatantly contradict the others. Just remember that anyone can post a website and offer their "advice" on the issue.

I like to ask my vets what type of foods they feed their animals, and most seem to answer Science Diet. I don''t know why this is the general answer, perhaps Science Diet reps constantly come in their offices, who knows!

Also, my mother''s dog was recently diagnosed with kidney failure and it simply did not look good for him. The vet put him on Hill''s Prescription Diet, and in two weeks his kidney levels were back in the normal range! I don''t know if her dog would be alive today without it. So I would not suggest changing any pet''s diet from this food without the advice and oversight of a vet.

Oh well, that''s my two cents! Maybe our PS vet will chime in!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 4:52:01 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Hey AG I am in the SFBA and would love to get more information from your vet re: the Innova or alternative foods for cats with special needs. I know that some other ones must exist but like I said our pet sells the Hills prescription formula so I''m sure they''re not about to recommend something different. Chloe likes the food and she hasn''t had a urinary tract problem or kidney stone since eating it, which is good. But I want to make sure she''s getting the most nutritious food possible.
oops, I mean our VET.
9.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 5:15:48 PM
Author: Rascal49
The whole issue of ''healthy'' foods for cats and dogs seems highly contentious. Every person, vet, website, etc. has their own opinion on good and bad foods, and most blatantly contradict the others. Just remember that anyone can post a website and offer their ''advice'' on the issue.

I like to ask my vets what type of foods they feed their animals, and most seem to answer Science Diet. I don''t know why this is the general answer, perhaps Science Diet reps constantly come in their offices, who knows!
A few years ago (when I got my kitty-cat) I did a TON of research on cat food options... I was completely obsessive about it, but definitely learned a lot.
37.gif
One of the articles I came across talked about why Science Diet has such a stronghold on vet''s offices, despite NOT being the greatest food out there (ingredients-wise). The article interviewed several vets who explained that many vet schools didn''t teach more than one course on nutrition, and that sometimes that course was even taught/sponsored by Science Diet reps. Maybe newer graduates are more informed, but the article definitely gave some interesting perspectives.

Since the issue of pet nutrition IS so hotly contested, I did my own research rather than rely on other people''s heresay... learned about optimal levels of protein and fiber... how to interpret ingredient lists (ie., chicken is not the same as chicken meal). Bottomline with cats: they''re carnivores... so they need food with the least amount of "filler" possible. Which means wet food is almost always better than dry... but if you have to feed dry, go with the best quality you can. I feed Maya Innova Evo because it has the highest protein and least carbs for a dry food. The link AG posted definitely confirms the research I''ve done... and Felidae, Wellness, and California Natural are all high-quality foods that were Maya-approved as well.
2.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Rascal - I totally get what you are saying, but the websites I posted weren''t without having done my own research into the veterinary and scientific literature, which agreed with those sites. I completely agree that no one should switch any special-needs pets without consulting and being supervised by a vet and I never meant to imply I was recommending such a thing.

What ephemery says about SD is true as well. Its also true, according to what I''ve read, that vet''s offices often get kickbacks from selling SD, and a friend of mine who is in vet school also told me that SD gives their food free or discounted to many vets.

I''m sure that some of the prescription diets can indeed be helpful for particular conditions, and as I said in the other thread, I''m not as well-educated about alternative options for foods for cats or dogs with special needs. So again, anyone with a cat or dog with special medical needs should talk to their vet before you even consider switching your pet''s diet, and only do it under the supervision of a veterinarian.

EBree - that site I think is a bit stricter than I would be. NB Duck and Sweet Potato should be great for a dog with allergies because it contains alternative sources of protein and carbohydrates besides the common ones (such as chicken and rice) which, as I understand it, are what dogs tend to become allergic to first. If your baby has allergies (she''s gorgeous, by the way - love that picture in your avatar), I would for sure talk to the vet and be very careful if/when you switch her food. I''d also be interested to get a vet''s take on how the switching rule applies to dogs and/or cats with allergies.

FG - our vet''s name is Especially Cats (you can Google it), and the vet we usually talk to about food is Dr. Alviar. I hope that she is able to recommend something else for Chloe to try, or is able to reassure you about the food she is on.

Ephemery - we feed regular Innova right now, and plan to switch to EVO when our kitten hits 1 year old - I read a couple of articles that said regular Innova was better if you have a kitten under one year, but not sure how believable that is. Its still a good food though, and the cats love it, so I guess that''s OK.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
AG, I didn''t mean to imply that you were suggesting changing prescription diets, I just wanted to let people know that while SD might not be greatly liked by many, Prescription Diet truely seems to work in at least some cases.
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, AG. I talked to the vet place (that particular Dr. was not in today but the person on the phone talked to me for awhile) and told me that there were 3 different specialty diets for my kitty''s particular issue, one of which is the Hill''s X/D she is currently on (the other 2 were a Royal Canin and a Purina). None were more preferable than the other - what mattered most was that kitty would eat it. Anyway, they also thought that Hill''s prescription was perfectly fine.

I thought it might be nice to have options but since she seems to like this food, and has not had any urinary issues since starting on it, I guess we''ll stick with it. BTW, the vet also told me, for anyone using X/D, that it is going to be ''phased out'' for some new formulation that works on struvite and oxalate prone kitties in the near future.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That sounds good FG - I''m glad they were able to reassure you. It does sound like this food is working well for Chloe, with her special needs, and that is definitely a good thing that she eats it - I know a lot of kitties get fussy about prescription food and won''t eat it.

That''s fine Rascal - it was an important point to make about the prescription foods. I was really just trying to get some information out there to share the results of all the research I did when looking into foods for my kitties so others wouldn''t have to go through all the same information all over again (though obviously it sounds like some people, like eph, did even more thorough research than mine!).

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
waggintails.com

After countles hours of research and evaluation, I feel I can only feed my dogs foods and treats with human grade ingredients and no "rendered" byproducts, sub-standard grains, etc.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a first year veterinary student and when I worked in the veterinary clinic, we sold the hills science plan diet. The prescription diets that they prescribe seem to have a great effect on the outcome of the patient. What my vet used to suggest to clients if they were worried about the nutritional content of the food, was to give them less dried food and add in some ingredients of their own, ie chicken, tuna etc. We used to order in purina and royal canin also, but hills seemed more palatable to cats/dogs. There isnt one particular food that we used to recommend and after researching many for college, I dont think that there is ever going to be a dried pet formula that is 100%. In terms of wet food being better for them, a complete dried food is just as good and it also has added benefits, mainly being dental hygeine. An animal kept on purely wet food, will need far more dentals throughout the years, than an animal kept on dried food. I personally have my three dogs on an organic food-I cant remember the name of it now, but I will check tomorrow. They have been on science plan before and I would keep them on it, only they preferred the taste of the new food.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 9:17:26 PM
Author: bee*
Im a first year veterinary student and when I worked in the veterinary clinic, we sold the hills science plan diet. The prescription diets that they prescribe seem to have a great effect on the outcome of the patient. What my vet used to suggest to clients if they were worried about the nutritional content of the food, was to give them less dried food and add in some ingredients of their own, ie chicken, tuna etc. We used to order in purina and royal canin also, but hills seemed more palatable to cats/dogs. There isnt one particular food that we used to recommend and after researching many for college, I dont think that there is ever going to be a dried pet formula that is 100%. In terms of wet food being better for them, a complete dried food is just as good and it also has added benefits, mainly being dental hygeine. An animal kept on purely wet food, will need far more dentals throughout the years, than an animal kept on dried food. I personally have my three dogs on an organic food-I cant remember the name of it now, but I will check tomorrow. They have been on science plan before and I would keep them on it, only they preferred the taste of the new food.
Bee... definitely not disputing your knowledge since you're a vet student and I'm not! But I have read several studies saying that the "dry food helps clean teeth" thing is just a myth... do you know of research proving otherwise? I wish it were true, since Maya refuses to eat wet... but I've read arguments likening it to humans eating only crackers and expecting it to keep their teeth clean. It's also been pointed out that cats tend to swallow food whole rather than chew it up, negating any sort of "scraping" effect the dry food might have on their teeth.

Also, I've read that dry food is better for dogs than it is for cats, as dogs are omnivores and actually utilize the carbs more efficiently than cats do (who are obligate carnivores and do not need carbs at all). Is that not true?

ETA -- I hate when people talk about "studies" without actually citing any, so here is a good list if anyone is interested: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I switched my cats to all wet food a few months ago because Lucy needs to drop a few pounds and the vet suggested we go this route, citing that cats, especially indoor cats, don''t need carbs. Of course, we''re often gone almost 12 hours a day, so we had to add back in a small helping of kibble so that we weren''t starving them. They get Nutro''s indoor cat weight control kibble and they like it. I just put out one bowl and fill it up every couple of days.

Max has had bladder problems in the past and until we took him off kibble, we were feeding him the Hills XD and he liked it. He didn''t like their version of the wet food though so the vet said any other wet food, except seafood, would be fine. The seafood isn''t particularly good ph for cats with bladder problems.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 10:22:45 PM
Author: sumbride

Max has had bladder problems in the past and until we took him off kibble, we were feeding him the Hills XD and he liked it. He didn''t like their version of the wet food though so the vet said any other wet food, except seafood, would be fine. The seafood isn''t particularly good ph for cats with bladder problems.
Doesn''t that just stink? Chloe eats the wet X/D (has chicken in it) but she cries for tuna or seafood. I give her a very small can on rare occasions because once in a blue moon hasn''t hurt her, but I feel so bad because Chloe loves her some fish!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ephemery, I have a dog named Maya! How old is your Maya?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2007 5:31:31 PM

oops, I mean our VET.
9.gif

Is that me???????????
35.gif

Sorry - I''m just catching this on my way to bed - no time to write anything meaningful right now, but I promise I will check in on this subject!

Christine (D.V.M.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
when we first got P she was on basic puppy eukanuba, but i immediately found the WDJ article for reviews and changed her off of that almost right away. for the first 6 months she got california natural but she never seemed to really love it and also i wanted something with more protein sources, so i put her on candidae which she loved. she was on that for about 2.5 years continuously with really no issues. then my mom started giving her wellness chicken (dry) when she was over there and said she really liked it. so i thought we might change it up for a bit...and she has been on wellness for about 5 months now. she can be finicky sometimes because she likes it way better when i mix in things like basic steak or chicken into her kibble (i'll usually reserve a small bit from before i cook our meats), but for the most part she is a pretty good eater. i tried giving her wet food originally when we were in the learning stages with her but she didn't really seem to like it more or less than dry and it was just messier so once we found candidae we just stuck with it.

for treats and other things, she gets wellness baked cookies with yogurt and apples, also wellness has some new square soft chews which are great for training. she also gets liver biscotti, great for training, and this brand of treats i can't recall right now but they make lamb strips and chicken strips with vitamins for healthy hips, heart, vitality, etc...she gets those during the day and LOVES them. everythign we buy her is of a pretty high grade...the one thing we give her that is 'supermarket' quality is the little milkbone mini treats, and only because they have a westie on the box and we just get suckered in, lol.

it seems like vets and dog experts are at odds on many things like which is better for them...more protein sources or just to focus on one...also sometimes they seem conflicted about more or less veggies and fruits (also causes gas which we found with the wellness big time!), and lastly it seems like no one is really sure about whether or not it's good to keep them on a diet long-term or to switch it up sometimes. i have heard all sorts of opinions. i figure do what works for you and your dog as each dog and personality and body structure and stomach is going to be different. it is important to me that the food we give her doesn't have a bunch of cheap corn fillers or too much of an 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach, and i like that the wellness is baked and that the candidae uses multiple protein sources and also that these top foods use human-grade proteins which to me is important.

i just hope that P doesn't get any sort of food allergy in the future but i know it can happen!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this -- I''m going to change Dylan''s food.
14.gif

Speaking of dental health, does anyone have dog teeth brushing tips? I brush his teeth every night because I know it''s good for him, but he absolutely hates it. I wish I could make it more pleasant for him.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 10:09:46 PM
Author: ephemery1
Date: 3/20/2007 9:17:26 PM

Bee... definitely not disputing your knowledge since you''re a vet student and I''m not! But I have read several studies saying that the ''dry food helps clean teeth'' thing is just a myth... do you know of research proving otherwise? I wish it were true, since Maya refuses to eat wet... but I''ve read arguments likening it to humans eating only crackers and expecting it to keep their teeth clean. It''s also been pointed out that cats tend to swallow food whole rather than chew it up, negating any sort of ''scraping'' effect the dry food might have on their teeth.

Also, I''ve read that dry food is better for dogs than it is for cats, as dogs are omnivores and actually utilize the carbs more efficiently than cats do (who are obligate carnivores and do not need carbs at all). Is that not true?

ETA -- I hate when people talk about ''studies'' without actually citing any, so here is a good list if anyone is interested:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

Hey ephemery, I''ll try and find some research for it. What Im going on is our own research that we used to do when I worked in the vet clinic. We did on average 50 dentals every week and at least 47 of them were fed wet food. I just found a paper on one of my websites and it has advised that it depends on the type of kibble used in the food and it has given a list of 7 foods that is recommended for oral health.
http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/NAVC/2006/SAE/111.asp?LA=1
A few carbs wont harm your cat but they dont much in their diet. My own cat wont eat anything but whiskas wet food which is her favorite, try as we might to get her on dry food, she just will not eat it at all. She''s had five dentals though also! I have to head into college in a few but I''ll have a look at some of the nutrition papers and see can I find any links for you

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
wasnt able to edit last article so just adding that I''d be a bit weary of the littlebigcat website also. A lot of the articles dont state a journal that they''ve been printed in and a lot of them will recommend you buy a book, so Im not sure if they''re entirely neutral. If you look up some of the veterinary websites, you''ll get some unbiased information about studies that were carried out

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 1:10:30 AM
Author: ecf8503

Date: 3/20/2007 5:31:31 PM

Hey AG I am in the SFBA and would love to get more information from your vet re: the Innova or alternative foods for cats with special needs. I know that some other ones must exist but like I said our pet sells the Hills prescription formula so I'm sure they're not about to recommend something different. Chloe likes the food and she hasn't had a urinary tract problem or kidney stone since eating it, which is good. But I want to make sure she's getting the most nutritious food possible.

oops, I mean our VET.
9.gif

Is that me???????????
35.gif

Sorry - I'm just catching this on my way to bed - no time to write anything meaningful right now, but I promise I will check in on this subject!

Christine (D.V.M.)
Our vet's initials happen to be A.G.
1.gif

Oh Blenheim - Chloe would never let me brush her teeth (or would die from the shock) but I do put the Petkin Liquid Oral Care water additive in to help 'clean' her teeth on some sort of regular basis.
http://www.petkin.com/1-800-PETKIN-1/product_information.jsp?products_id=82 We just get ours at Pet Club.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 6:35:05 AM
wasnt able to edit last article so just adding that I'd be a bit weary of the littlebigcat website also. A lot of the articles dont state a journal that they've been printed in and a lot of them will recommend you buy a book, so Im not sure if they're entirely neutral. If you look up some of the veterinary websites, you'll get some unbiased information about studies that were carried out
Really? I'm a total research skeptic (FAR too many classes in it
26.gif
)... but I was actually impressed that she was able to compile and cite 7 published articles on the subject, from reputable peer-reviewed journals (Journal of Veterinary Dentistry, Australian Veterinary Journal, Veterinary Clinics of North America). The author of the site is a vet that used to post on a cat forum I belonged to (back in my obsessive days!!)... she was in practice for many years but when she retired, put together the website as a way of sharing her experiences... some of the free articles are really helpful, I think.

But because I'm such a research snob, I really did look for studies proving the dry food thing (I wanted to believe it, since that's what Maya eats!), but couldn't find any legit ones.... most were anecdotal and didn't control for other factors. For example, a clinic might report that cats who eat wet food have their teeth cleaned more often, but that might be because owners who know wet food is healthier are more responsible about pet-care in general, and thus more conscientious about dental cleanings. The whole "correlation does not equal causation" thing. OK, I'll get off my research high-horse now... but my professors would be so proud!
2.gif

ETA -- I would love to see any links you have!! There are a lot of interesting differences in the UK and US when it comes to pet-care... overall, the UK seems to be a lot more advanced. I believe (this was the case a few years ago, anyway) your formulations of generic brands like Whiskas are actually healthier than the equivalents over here. And don't even get me started on the de-clawing issue....
29.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 12:57:20 AM
Author: diamondfan
Ephemery, I have a dog named Maya! How old is your Maya?
I remember reading that, such a fun coincidence! My Maya is a cat, and she''s 3 years old... I was always really into poetry so technically she''s named after Maya Angelou. The name SO suits her though... I just can''t imagine her with a more typical cat name. And she thinks she''s a people, anyway...
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 6:30:43 PM
Author: ephemery1
Date: 3/21/2007 6:35:05 AM

wasnt able to edit last article so just adding that I''d be a bit weary of the littlebigcat website also. A lot of the articles dont state a journal that they''ve been printed in and a lot of them will recommend you buy a book, so Im not sure if they''re entirely neutral. If you look up some of the veterinary websites, you''ll get some unbiased information about studies that were carried out

Really? I''m a total research skeptic (FAR too many classes in it
26.gif
)... but I was actually impressed that she was able to compile and cite 7 published articles on the subject, from reputable peer-reviewed journals (Journal of Veterinary Dentistry, Australian Veterinary Journal, Veterinary Clinics of North America). The author of the site is a vet that used to post on a cat forum I belonged to (back in my obsessive days!!)... she was in practice for many years but when she retired, put together the website as a way of sharing her experiences... some of the free articles are really helpful, I think.

But because I''m such a research snob, I really did look for studies proving the dry food thing (I wanted to believe it, since that''s what Maya eats!), but couldn''t find any legit ones.... most were anecdotal and didn''t control for other factors. For example, a clinic might report that cats who eat wet food have their teeth cleaned more often, but that might be because owners who know wet food is healthier are more responsible about pet-care in general, and thus more conscientious about dental cleanings. The whole ''correlation does not equal causation'' thing. OK, I''ll get off my research high-horse now... but my professors would be so proud!
2.gif

ETA -- I would love to see any links you have!! There are a lot of interesting differences in the UK and US when it comes to pet-care... overall, the UK seems to be a lot more advanced. I believe (this was the case a few years ago, anyway) your formulations of generic brands like Whiskas are actually healthier than the equivalents over here. And don''t even get me started on the de-clawing issue....
29.gif
Yeah I noticed that about the whiskas brand-do you have that in the US? When I was in college today there wasnt one article that gave up to date information on the issue. Many of them, as in the article from that site, were years old. We''re on our break until the 2nd of april, so when I go back to college I can get some info from my lecturers. What would be your main cat food over in the US? In Ireland, Whiskas would definitely be the most popular-my cats obsessed with it-literally!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a few cans of Wellness cat food (human grade ingredients) yesterday to alternate intermittently with the Hills...Chloe snarfed that stuff up like it was manna from heaven.
5.gif
I bought it because they specifically mention ingredients for urinary tract health (cranberries, blueberries, etc) so I thought that would be a nice treat every once in awhile.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
FG - I''m so glad Chloe liked the Wellness wet food
1.gif
I sometimes wonder if they know its better quality food - our kitties scarf the Innova like there''s no tomorrow, even though they get it all the time.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am totally psyched that she liked the food - I did email the company today to ask specifically about the ash content/magnesium/pH etc to make sure the food is okay for Chloe and her FLUTD past but I saw that, of all the really good brands listed, Wellness had the most comments from people who were had dealt with that. It looks really good and the ingredients are so much better than what she''s eating now.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to thank you for posting this info, AmberGretchen! We''d been feeding our guy Hill''s Science Diet dry and wet food, and though neither of the exact types of food we''d been giving him have been recalled, I''ve still decided to switch his food. It''s total chance/luck that we''d been feeding him salmon instead of ocean fish or any other one that''s been recalled, and that''s just too close for comfort for me
7.gif

So we went to a different pet store yesterday that has the better food, and they told me that the California Naturals would be the easiest transition from Science Diet, since both are chicken-based. For wet food, we got a few different kinds of Wellness. He seems to love it all, so that''s a relief!

Question for you guys who have the knowledge: I know that for dry foods, you''re supposed to mix old food with new food to transition b/c kitties have pretty sensitive tummies, right? But the pet store said you don''t have to do that with wet food -- you can just switch. Is that true? And if so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results