shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your social circle care about jewelery?

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Another random question came to mind. I feel like I am a closet fine jewelry lover. My friends know that about my hobbies/interests such as training for races, learning how to cook, loving my cat etc... However, only my husband is aware that I enjoy diamond rings. It makes it feel like a guilty pleasure I'm embarrassed of enjoying...Was just curious if that is the same for others out there?

Also, if I were to get an upgrade, I would only discuss that with my husband. I'm not one to share with my friends because of the sensitivity of the topic that "I'm working on a ring project." Only once it's on my hand and they notice/ask questions, would I discuss it. Same process for you ladies?

Thanks for making conversation and hope everyone has a wonderful day!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few of my friends like and wear jewelry, but none of them LOVE it and research it like I do.

My sister shares my interest in jewelry, but her special area is vintage costume. She knows way more about that stuff than I do.
And some of it is quite pricey!

Only DH knows how much of a jewelry freak I really am. I even have frequent dreams about jewelry.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Few people I know care about jewelry.
If a women is married and wears a rock it's usually 0.5 to 0.75 ct.

One neighbor gets all excited over my Octavia.
We've had long conversations on diamond cut, as her husband rolled his eyes. :naughty: :D
I suspect there is a well-cut sparkler in her future.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. And most of my friends could afford to if they wished. Sometimes I wish I had someone in real life to share my passion with, but then we would probably just enable each other.

Q

Queenie60

We have a few different social circles - the ladies at our Country Club - all of them wear huge rocks and much more jewelry than I. My friends around town - most of them yes, they have substantial jewelry. My best girl friend - she's a jewelry lover however her husband is the one who chooses it and gifts it to her. Most of my neighbor ladies - they too have substantial jewelry however I only know of one who is a major jewelry lover! Only my husband and best girl friend are aware of my love for researching and acquiring jewels!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Well... They know I'm into jewellery, but I'm generally a low key person, so I can tell it perplexes them. I drive a Nissan, our other car is a 22 year old VW. I dress very casually.

Where I live half a carat is considered large. I wear about 1.5-3.5ct (in total) on a daily basis.

I've had people tell me I shouldn't be so into jewellery, as if it's some sort of vice and I need to be cured of it. For some reason it's seen as acceptable to go into debt for a $40k car, but spending a fraction of that (in cash) on an item of jewellery is considered extravagant and spendthrift.

When I bought my 1.2ct OMB one of my friends completely flipped her lid - apparently it's completely unnecessary and irresponsible and CZ looks exactly the same, so who am I trying to impress? And do I know that she could have made a down payment on a house with what that cost (she has no idea what I paid, btw) and don't I feel guilty? And not to mention the safety aspect - apparently I'm going to have my fingers cut off. :roll:

I'm learning to screen what I tell my friends, but quite frankly, it is exhausting having to reign in my usually exuberant personality. When I am excited about something, whether it is about a new diamond, a new restaurant, or an interesting new book, it bursts out of me like champagne on a Formula 1 winners podium. That's just how I am. *shrug* I think it might be easier to learn to smile and wave.

On the other hand, I have my dad. He's in his seventies but still appreciates the finer things. When I phoned him up to tell him I'd bought a new diamond, he was excited and immediately wanted to know the size. I vividly remember how excited and happy he was for me when I told him. He irritates the living hell out of me most days, but at least he understands me.

And yup, I have you guys. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. They like that what they are wearing "sparkles" and don't seem to have an appreciation for whatever the sparkly item is comprised of.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very few care but they do know about my addiction. I am happy to enable whoever is interested. They aren't judgey. Each person has his/her own "issue" and how we deal with it. I do have some family members (aunts) who noticed my ring and asked my mom about it! Lol!!! They aren't judgey and I think they wanted to know more. I would have been happy to talk about it. They all spend their money on different things, traveling, Hermes. I have one aunt who I swear could open up a Louis Vuitton museum. I kid you not.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only my spouse and you guys know the depths of my jewelry addiction. I have a couple of family members that have nice pieces but they have all been gifted by their respective spouses and it's never occurred to either of them that they could *gasp* buy what they want. Some of my friends have nice rings too but it's not a topic of discussion.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Not at all. No-one cares. (UK). Which is quite pleasant in some ways - there is absolutely no judgment or pressure. I am always bemused when I read about a certain size diamond being "expected" in social circles, for example. You wear what you like over here and no-one will care - or in all likelihood even notice :lol:

The downside is I rarely see anyone wearing good quality jewellery. And there's no-one to talk to about it. Sigh.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some like jewellery, some don't care about jewellery, however, all but one would buy fine jewellery very occasionally.

Hence it was really refreshing and a joy to meet up with mochiko42 when I was in HK last year, and we had a great time discussing all thing jewellery related.

Apparently I was one of a few (could even be the only one in her normal social circle, mochiko please correct me if I am wrong) who was able to recognise the diamond in her ER is an OEC right away.

Next year's trip already planned so that we can go and ogle at the pieces for sale at Christie's Magnificent Jewels auction, and to go hunting for CS and pearls at a trade show, etc. etc...

DK :))

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they could care less :snooty: They love bags, generally :loopy: They think I'm underachieving on my bags and I think their jewelry is mostly abominable (but I don't say anything).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1466621029|4046750 said:
Not at all. No-one cares. (UK). Which is quite pleasant in some ways - there is absolutely no judgment or pressure. I am always bemused when I read about a certain size diamond being "expected" in social circles, for example. You wear what you like over here and no-one will care - or in all likelihood even notice :lol:

The downside is I rarely see anyone wearing good quality jewellery. And there's no-one to talk to about it. Sigh.

I tried organising an UK GTG a few times, gave up in the end due to lack of interest.

P

PierreBear

Thanks everyone for sharing! I think many of ya'll did mention that we all have our vices. I can see how purses are a more popular item but the price of the purse doesn't seem to come close to a fancy ring so I still feel a built guilty about this vice. A black one, brown one, and a cross body is all I need. Perhaps when I get a foundation of rings, the thoughts/urges will stop. ;))

Trekkie - Reading your posts made me feel like I was talking to my other half. I'm a low key casual person as well. I purposely avoid branded purses and don't feel comfortable driving certain brands of cards even though we can afford it. However, there is something about a large diamond ring that makes me feel that it's truly just for myself/husband and not to "show off" to others. Perhaps it is my only outlet of being as bold as I really want to be sometime. haha but I still rather be cured of this vice in some way? Anyhow, neat that you can chat to your dad about this! My husband told me he complimented his coworker's ring the other day and she just really enjoyed talking to him about it. He doesn't research rings but is learning that women do appreciate compliments on it. Baby steps right?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. They'll mention they think something is pretty or whatever, but the rest of it, that they're avc's, that it's a custom setting, etc, or the chryoberyl (the what? the yellow stone? it's a wha-?), saying that someone made it specifically for *me* based off what I came up w/in my head, talking to gem cutters, or talking w/say, Jonathan, sometimes it's like they think I'm making it up.

One of the officers got engaged and JD took a picture of the ring beforehand "I knew you'd want to see it. And it came from the store, I asked, and I'm sorry, I know how much that hurts-normal folks don't know any better. Not everyone has *people*." hahahahaha

An episode of The Walking Dead where one of the characters chops a zombie's finger off to get the ring to propose netted me "Don't worry honey, even when the zombies rise up, I know better than to just get any old zombies jewelry. I know how you like to have control." :lol:

So my social circle cares not one whit, but my husband knows *I* care.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few in it do but I don't know that many care like I do. Of those who don't, some tend to care about judging how you spend money, what you have and don't have, imposing their will upon your life, and trying to make you feel like crap about either end of the spectrum.

susief

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1466621504|4046758 said:
susief|1466621029|4046750 said:

I tried organising an UK GTG a few times, gave up in the end due to lack of interest.

Which kind of proves the point :cheeky:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they don't care about jewelry at all. My MIL is a fan. My SIL has a 2.25 RB, but doesn't even know the specs nor does she care. My friends have small diamonds, or just plain wedding bands. I often feel like the odd one out, because I like ALL forms of jewelry. I'm currently anxiously awaiting some painted wood bracelets for example. I'm excited for them, and they were only $10 each but they serve some silly perfect purpose in my mind.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no...my mom and older sister likes jewelry..but aren't obsessed...my younger sister is worse than me, she has a ton of jewelry...my friends doesn't care one way or the other

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope...most dont care at all :cry:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No not really. I get my diamond fix here as my friends couldn't tell a MRB from OEC. :saint:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, They don't care about jewelry.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Designer handbags and shoes have trumped jewelry. All have diamond studs for ther ears, maybe a Rolex watch, Cartier or Tiffany non gem bracelet and a nice ER. Plenty of the gals sport Yurman type of rings and bracelets. Not my style at all. But I see little new bling for push presents, holidays, birthdays etc. I see no pearls, charm bracelets and nice colored stone rings such emeralds, rubies and nice sapphires. Finally saw one gal with VC&A diamond Alahambra earrings. I would rather have the bling-more timeless..but is it?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
PierreBear|1466622285|4046777 said:
Thanks everyone for sharing! I think many of ya'll did mention that we all have our vices. I can see how purses are a more popular item but the price of the purse doesn't seem to come close to a fancy ring so I still feel a built guilty about this vice. A black one, brown one, and a cross body is all I need. Perhaps when I get a foundation of rings, the thoughts/urges will stop. ;))

Trekkie - Reading your posts made me feel like I was talking to my other half. I'm a low key casual person as well. I purposely avoid branded purses and don't feel comfortable driving certain brands of cards even though we can afford it. However, there is something about a large diamond ring that makes me feel that it's truly just for myself/husband and not to "show off" to others. Perhaps it is my only outlet of being as bold as I really want to be sometime. haha but I still rather be cured of this vice in some way? Anyhow, neat that you can chat to your dad about this! My husband told me he complimented his coworker's ring the other day and she just really enjoyed talking to him about it. He doesn't research rings but is learning that women do appreciate compliments on it. Baby steps right?

I used to be quite into branded bags, waaaay back in late teens/early twenties. But not to the extent I see people are now. I go on tPF and I see college students with multiple LV/Chanel/Gucci and I'm like, what? :errrr: How?

Strangely enough, when I returned to my home country, I packed away my LV because no one here wears authentic LV and I didn't want anyone to think my authentic LV was fake! I try not to be, but I am a bit judgmental where fakes are concerned. I mean, I'd sooner wear a cheap, non-branded bag that's cute over a trendy fake, and some fakes are so expensive you might as well buy an entry level bag from an authentic designer!

I am sometimes asked who I am trying to impress with my sparkles and no one seems to understand that they're for me, not someone else. I mean, if it was about impressing other people I'd go out and buy a CZ and tell everyone it's real! (I know someone IRL who did this and still vehemently insists that his wife's CZ set in silver is real!) It isn't even about impressing people on PS - my jewellery is tiny compared to what I see here, lol! But I do see a lot of buying to impress the forum, and buying to to keep up with everyone else etc on tPF. It's pretty obvious, even to a lurker like me, because one minute a purse is the dream purse and then five minutes later it is sold to buy the next fashion craze.

And yes... I am glad I have my dad. He gets it, and I think my sparkle obsession is partly his fault. When he and my stepmom got engaged, he insisted that she buys him a diamond ring, because she asked him! :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No although my MIL and FIL are into gemstones, rocks, crystals, fossils etc and have a shop. My friends aren't into jewellery at all.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1466623161|4046786 said:
Nope. They'll mention they think something is pretty or whatever, but the rest of it, that they're avc's, that it's a custom setting, etc, or the chryoberyl (the what? the yellow stone? it's a wha-?), saying that someone made it specifically for *me* based off what I came up w/in my head, talking to gem cutters, or talking w/say, Jonathan, sometimes it's like they think I'm making it up.

One of the officers got engaged and JD took a picture of the ring beforehand "I knew you'd want to see it. And it came from the store, I asked, and I'm sorry, I know how much that hurts-normal folks don't know any better. Not everyone has *people*." hahahahaha

An episode of The Walking Dead where one of the characters chops a zombie's finger off to get the ring to propose netted me "Don't worry honey, even when the zombies rise up, I know better than to just get any old zombies jewelry. I know how you like to have control." :lol:

This happens to me aaaaaaallll the time!

I saw a picture of Kenny's FCD collection on a student's Pinterest board and I was like, hey! I know that pic! It was taken by my, uh, internet friend Kenny! And she didn't believe me! So I started explaining about the different stones and shapes and when I said that his fancy green OMB was just a hair over a quarter carat she was like, nuh uh! I must be mistaken! The stone in the pic had to be 3cts! At least!

I was like... :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1466665074|4047016 said:
packrat|1466623161|4046786 said:

This happens to me aaaaaaallll the time!

I saw a picture of Kenny's FCD collection on a student's Pinterest board and I was like, hey! I know that pic! It was taken by my, uh, internet friend Kenny! And she didn't believe me! So I started explaining about the different stones and shapes and when I said that his fancy green OMB was just a hair over a quarter carat she was like, nuh uh! I must be mistaken! The stone in the pic had to be 3cts! At least!

I was like... :lol:

:oops:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My social circle isn't full of jewellery fanatics, however there are a few who do like their treasures. But funnily enough there have been quite a few people who have been interested in my lapidary journey and are fascinated behind the chemistry and processes that cause stones to form as well as my own processes for cutting stones.

What has come most shocking to me though is most of the geotech guys who I have been working and training with at my new position are VERY interested in stones. I shouldn't be surprised as part of the job is to drill holes in soil and report on the layers that come up on the drill, but to see guys who are more 'blokey' than I am get interested in stones is pretty strange. There's even been talks between them about a bunch of them taking leave, coming with me up north and using the drill rigs to mine for stones. I think they just have $$$ rolling through their eyes and don't quite get my interest in digging up a stone that's potentially millions of years old and bringing out the beauty in it - but at least they do go ooo and ahh when I show them the rocks, so that's a good sign :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

But we have a few different social circles and there is a small group of women who do care but I am not close with them though occasionally we do GTG and then yes jewelry is admired and oohed over. But in my immediate close social circle not at all. Most of my girlfriends don't care in the least about bling. Plus most of my closest friends are men and none of them care about jewelry. Except my best friend who is my dh and he only cares because he knows I care.

But due to PS I now do have a few very close girlfriends who care very much about bling and you know who you are. 8) :kiss:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most everyone in my life feels jewelry is a waste of money. Like others have said I have friends that don't bat an eye about paying $60,000 for a car but a diamond costing half that much is crazy to them. The friends I have met here are the only people I know who share my love of diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results