shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your social circle care about jewelery?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have much of a social circle but among family I am definitely the jewelry nut. I feel like I have to keep it on the DL though since I don't work, try to avoid coming off as pretentious.

However what they don't realize is we do not go on vacation, literally haven't taken a vacation in eight years because we have pets that would need to be accommodated. So if you figure $2,000-$3,000 for one vacation compared to my $4500 anniversary upgrade (second hand) then that is the trade off. Although if you use that formula I am way behind in the jewelry department.

Funny though the last time I was complimented on a piece of jewelry it was a $20 silver and cz bracelet I bought almost 20 years ago. Gotta keep them guessing :twisted:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has always been into jewelry and started taking me to gem shows when I was in my 20's. She also had a Vietnamese jeweler that was always letting her upgrade, trade in or reset stones. I thought it was crazy how much she spent. Now she's into inexpensive/costume pieces and I've become my mother.

I have an older neighbor who's husband passed away and I started going over to do beading with to keep her company. She's a huge jewelry nut collecting back when her friend was a designer for Harry Winston and trips to the Tucson gem show with her husband. She is the one who turned me on to colored stones when I took her to a gem show.

As far my social circle - some are into jewelry and some aren't...but not as obssessed....which is better..the last thing I need is more encouragement.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have major (in more ways than one) bling friends and non-bling friends. It's really fun to be able to hang out with my bling friends and dress up and admire each other's as well as other people's bling! hehe. I also need non-bling friends to bring me back down to earth!:lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy sh!t!! You hit the MIL jackpot wildcat. She actually is showing her son what to buy you??? And it involves a tennis bracelet? OMG. I barely get a bday present. He's a keeper, if for no other reason than his mom! (j/k...kinda...)

I concur!! He, or rather she, is def a keeper! :D

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really, they all think I am nuts to spend money on jewelry. However when they need advice on buying any, they come to me, lol

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had to post on this. When I got engaged to my husband my mother gave him a diamond (nice 1.2 carat) and he had it set in a 3 stone ring with blue sapphires. I love the ring. But I always wanted a larger better quality diamond. He is opposed to the diamond trade for a lot of reasons and was against getting a new stone. I kinda left it at that. 3 years ago he surprised me with a Porsche 911. Nice car. Nice gift. I never drive it. It's pretty but too fast and I have 3 young children! Hello, where do the groceries go. Lol. So I got up the nerve to gently tell my loving generous husband that I really would rather have a new ring....

It will be here in a few weeks! My point is that a lot of people don't get jewelry just like a lot of people don't get sports cars!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An episode of The Walking Dead where one of the characters chops a zombie's finger off to get the ring to propose netted me "Don't worry honey, even when the zombies rise up, I know better than to just get any old zombies jewelry. I know how you like to have control." :lol:

If I were alive in the zombie apocalypse, my only reason to survive would be to steal everyone's diamonds. :lol::lol::lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were alive in the zombie apocalypse, my only reason to survive would be to steal everyone's diamonds. :lol::lol::lol:

I also thought when I saw this scene, oh yes, in a zombie fest I would ABSOLUTELY be robbing diamonds!!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
A couple of my work friends are also very into jewellery. We enable each other A LOT though, but it's really fun :) none of us has crazy big budgets but we enjoy the in depth and extended conversations about our next purchases.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really wish I had more people to talk to about gems and jewelry. My mom loves jewelry and I also have one friend. Other than that, people's eyes glaze over if I talk about it and that's before I geek out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results