shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your SO correct people when they call you his wife?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katomm

Shiny_Rock
This is the first time we''ve been out together and someone referred to me as SO''s wife (Starbuck''s, he barista asked him if he''d be ordering a drink for his wife as well). He didn''t skip a beat and said "Yes, she''ll have....."

I can remember relationships in the past where BF''s have corrected people and said Oh, she''s not my wife. I''m just wondering if it bothers some of you or makes your heart skip a beat like it did mine this morning.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
He doesn''t correct them, but it does freak him out. I had to do a lot of house hunting a few months ago, and he came with me one day and got a little freaked out when the tenant in one of the houses started talking about how great the neighbourhood was for a young couple, and there are a lot of people our age, and it''s a great house if we''re thinking about kids soon...yeah, that freaked him out. But if somebody calls me his wife he kind of rolls with it.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Here, people always call me his wife in a joking way. Like "So are you taking the wife with you on your trip?"
It doesn''t bother him at all. He always calls me his wife to be or future wife, so I don''t think the "W" word scares him.
1.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
It really used to freak ME out when people would call me Mrs. LastName, (hotels, utility companies, anyone phoning him, etc) but over time, I got used to it, and it wasn''t really worth correcting. He would correct sometimes at first, but eventually stopped as well, and we could both just tease and laugh about it.

Now that we are engaged, he LOVES to call me wife. He does so frequently and quite deliberately, and I really think in his head, we are as good as married. And it feels great to know that he feels that way.

What DID freak him out was when I called his niece my niece before we were engaged!
33.gif

He got all pissy about that for some reason, but he seems fine with it now. It was totally odd, territorial and uncharacteristic of him, and she was only born about a month before we got engaged... So weird.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now I want to be all mushy with DH in a line somewhere & have them assume that & then be all "NO! ... My *husband*''s at home with the kids!"
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I've never been mistaken for BF's wife
8.gif

Unless you count all the times telemarketers call and say " Hello Mrs. BF lastname"

That always throws me for a loop, as if BF has an invisible wife hidden somewhere (he does not)

The telemarketers get hung-up on for not knowing who lives here
38.gif
11.gif

I think I'd be flattered if it happened in real life though, and I'm not sure if BF would correct them or not.

Deco: LOL!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 5:11:00 PM
Author: kribbie
Here, people always call me his wife in a joking way. Like ''So are you taking the wife with you on your trip?''
It doesn''t bother him at all. He always calls me his wife to be or future wife, so I don''t think the ''W'' word scares him.
1.gif
Ditto for us! He has always told me things like "my wife is so beautiful!" and other things like that.. but lately (since he''s told me he proposing soon) he''s switched to calling me his "fiance" or future fiance.. It''s such a tease but I love it!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Ah, this happened a handful of times to us while on vacation a couple weeks ago. I made the reservations and when we got there, they said "Welcome to the inn, Mr. and Mrs. [MyLastName]!" and BF just went with it. When we went to check out and got to the front desk, they said, "The [MyLastName]s?" And he just agreed. And then he grinned at me for a while. His last name is easier than mine, so we use it when we go out to eat or anything like that, and when they call us The [HisLastName]s, he always smiles at me then too. That''s a good sign, huh?
9.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Haha - this happens to us a lot. I am on his health insurance so when I call the insurance company they all call me, "Mrs. K" and I correct them only because I think it''s important to never assume someone is married or not. But I don''t mind in particular, even if I do plan on hyphenating
2.gif

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
my BF''s Grandparents have me listed under his last name in their seed dial... and we''re not even engaged...

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
Yes - he says "not my wife yet... we''re working on that!"

pluck15

Shiny_Rock
BF hasn''t really ever corrected people, we just kind of look at each other and smile/giggle. He likes to call me "future fiance" at times just as a tease. He loves thinking that my name will soon be Mrs (HisLastName). The only time he ever really says anything is if people ask if we are married, and he just says "nope...not yet
28.gif
"

Ohh, and he also used to be really uptight about people thinking my promise ring is an engagement ring! He would say "Did you tell them it''s not one?!?! It''s definitely not good enough to be an engagement ring!!" (awww! I love him!
36.gif
30.gif
)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
He never even noticed... it's just one of many assumptions people can make about a person/couple, no real reason to get bent out of shape about it. I can see where people who are sensitive about the topic might jump at the assumption, though.

simplefears

Rough_Rock
I don''t recall it happening while we are together, but separately at work our co-works will ask about his wife or my husband. We always come home and tell each other about it and grin.
9.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
it's never happened.
we are in our mid-late 20's but we both look like we're about 18 yrs old so people probably assume we're too young to be married
28.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 7:37:07 PM
Author: decodelighted
Now I want to be all mushy with DH in a line somewhere & have them assume that & then be all 'NO! ... My *husband*'s at home with the kids!'
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
You're bad.
3.gif

People didn't really refer to me as the wife or him as the husband ever that I can recall, except for our neighbour in our apartment building. She always tells J that she hasn't seen "his wife" in a while and that she'd like a chat sometime. After the first time I asked if he corrected her, and he said, 'Nah, didn't bother, since it'll be true soon enough anyway.'
1.gif

boobookitty

Rough_Rock
i don't think my boyfriend corrects them, but the only instance i can actually remember where neither of us said anything was on our cruise last december. we were in a specialty restaurant celebrating our one year anniversary of DATING, and the waiter brought out a special cute little cake with "happy anniversary" written on it with a candle. the table of older people next to us then started asking "how long" and we just told them one year and of course, "awh"s and "congratulations" ensued. lol. at the time bf was wearing a noticeable black ring i gave him so they definitely thought we were married, and we just thought it was cute. he has actually slipped a few times and accidentally called me his wife while he was talking about hypothetical situations :) i love it. lol.

and come to think of it people have called him "mr. (insert my last name)" thinking i am his wife, and that he DOES correct because his last name is definitely not mine, lol but i don't think it's the same thing. if someone mistakens us as husband and wife and i was called by his last name then no correction would be made.

SparklyRing

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never been called his wife, but, because I wear a diamond promise ring that he gave me, I''ve been called his fiancée once. He didn''t correct the person.
26.gif

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 7:37:07 PM
Author: decodelighted
Now I want to be all mushy with DH in a line somewhere & have them assume that & then be all ''NO! ... My *husband*''s at home with the kids!''
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

Lol deco you crack me up!

This only happen to me a few times and it was just a few months before we got engaged.

They said "oh and this must be your wife" He replied "Not yet, but she will be soon"
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results