shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Your Family Have It's Own language ?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom is a fan of the herd of turtles. She also says Hasty Banana and Much Grass b/c some kid in her Spanish class back in high school couldn't get the hang of hasta manana (I can't do the squiggle over the n) and muchas gracias.

We call my parents The Show. "Call The Show and see if they want to come for supper" It started out as the Jim and Jo Show, and we shortened it. We also call dad Big Jim and Jimminy Slickett.

When we were little, my dad used to say Hut (rhymes w/foot) Mida (mid-uh) to us, when we wanted us to get a move on. He swore up and down it was Swedish. Fast forward 30 years, and I'd said it to London at Grampa and Gramma's one day "C'mon London, hut mida, let's go" and they were like WTF? They said dad made that up and it's not Swedish, and they've no clue how he came up w/it. Whatever, I still say it.

A few years ago, JD, Dad and my brother went on vacation together w/a friend of theirs. When they came back, they were unpacking and kept saying "Hey, you ricken me?" and I was totally lost. My dad's brother's name is Rick. Somehow they decided that if someone was irritating them or for whatever other reason, it would be called rick-en. That's stuck now, and we all say it. Not around Rick tho.

You pickin up what I'm laying down? and You smell what I'm stepping in? we also say to see if the other person gets what we're saying.

Dad says "Yep yep see ya" when they're leaving. He's always in a hurry, so it's like one word. yepyepseeya. My brother says "yep yep" when people ask him to do things at his office, so now the thing there is "Oooo he yep yepped ya!"

JD and I say "Why do you make me hurt you?" if we run into each other, or if we're play fighting and it gets a little rough. And we hold our thumb and forefinger up and click them together and say "I peench" when we get rowdy too..there was a car commercial years ago that had a crab and he held his pincers up and said "I peench" and ohh it used to make us die laughing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot, we also call each other "Jackie" or call it "jackie-ing" on the computer if one of us is on here too long b/c of the episode of Roseanne where Jackie got a computer and was on it for like 3 days straight.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
PilsnPinkysMom said:
Such funny posts!

Dudge: A little bit of something (like 'smidge' or 'smudge') "Move that picture over a dudge"

Mrs. McGillicutty: The word for any married woman "How are you doing, Mrs. McGillicutty?"

Slumgullian: Any sort of basic meat/tomato/pasta dish (especially if made with macaroni!) "We're having slumgullian tonight, nothing fancy."

Puppis: Dog "Did you take the puppis for a walk today?"

We (DH & I) also talk in movie quotes a lot... A favorite is, "Your f-ing uterus is a f-ing secret!" (From 'Away We Go') It's a way of saying, "This is a stupid thing to bicker about."

OMG... I thought I was the only person that knew what Slumgullian was.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course!

"Boodge" is when your pants are too tight and you have some fat hanging over: "You got a little boodge going on there."
"Stinker butt" is a term of endearment for the dog and the baby, not so much for one another
"Schmuggle" means that the other person is getting in your face too much and being too smothery: "Stop schmuggling me!"

I know there are others but I can't think of them now!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
portia said:
PilsnPinkysMom said:
Such funny posts!

Dudge: A little bit of something (like 'smidge' or 'smudge') "Move that picture over a dudge"

Mrs. McGillicutty: The word for any married woman "How are you doing, Mrs. McGillicutty?"

Slumgullian: Any sort of basic meat/tomato/pasta dish (especially if made with macaroni!) "We're having slumgullian tonight, nothing fancy."

Puppis: Dog "Did you take the puppis for a walk today?"

We (DH & I) also talk in movie quotes a lot... A favorite is, "Your f-ing uterus is a f-ing secret!" (From 'Away We Go') It's a way of saying, "This is a stupid thing to bicker about."

OMG... I thought I was the only person that knew what Slumgullian was.

Definitely not! :bigsmile:

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
When my son got his first real job he told me he had to go out and buy a DVD
because his co workers spoke "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"

"Tengo hombre" (Literally I have man) From one of my son's classmates on a trip to Mexico
who meant to say "Tengo hambre" (I have hunger, am hungry)

We say "ik verveel me" (I am bored in Dutch) while waiting in line, at the doctor etc.

When things are going wrong in bunches it's "First Daddy now the Norge"
From Gilda Radner as Lisa Loopner on SNL.

I had a LTR with a sailor so anything dropped or spilled is "On the deck".
As in "Water on the deck" "Egg on the deck"

To "Slumgullian" add "Hot Dish" for all you Minnesotan.

We call our Oriental Shorthair cat "show fault" because he has a striped tail
that would disqualify him from entering cat shows.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This is so great. I wish we were as interesting. I have a couple tho.

Thats the horse that broke the camels back- This came from my stepdad who is terrible at saying these sayings correctly. So whenever something is too much that is what we say.

DH calls anyone who has bad behavior a pod. I dont even know what it means. If taking it from context I would say that it is a better word for calling someone a dou***bag.

My little sister is not allowed to curse yet (shes 14 so she knows the words)so she puts words in where a curse word would be. For instance, she fell down and scraped the palm of her hand. I asked her if it hurt and she said "No, but taking a shower is going to be a monkey." I thought that was hilarious!

slickery=slippery. It just makes more sense. If it is slick then it would make it slickery not slippery
squoze=past tense of sweeze

Another thing we do around the house is belt out a song that has the same lyrics as what we want to say. For instance, if one of us is leaving the other immediately sings "All by myself" by Eric Carmen loudly.

This last one came from a woman that I am no longer friends with, but it stuck.
"She thinks she is hot sh*t on a silver platter, but really she's just a cold turd on a paper plate."

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG this thread had me cracking up so bad!

Ok our main one is that our dogs are called "Gups" or a variation like Guppens, Guppy etc. Started *I think* when I was really little coz we liked to catch Guppy fish in our creek on the farm and the dogs would go with us. Then it became the nickname for the dogs then it became a nickname for my sisters and I as well!!! :lol:

So now we actually call each other Gups eg> One sister will say "Hi Gup" and the other will respond "Hey Guppen" (never the exact same) even in emails where it's distinguished with add-in's like "Fat Gup" (Pregnant sister) "Tall Gup" or Middle Gup" or me - "Last Gup" Strange I know.......... :bigsmile:

Hubby and I have similar animal pet names which get add-in's too, like "Snoozy Possum" or "Fat-Poss" (me after big meal). In fact I cannot even the remember the last time I actually used his real name! :lol:

Couple of movie references often used:
" Call that a knife? THIS is is knife" (Croccadile Dundee) Actual objects gets substituted in.
"I love Lamp" (Anchorman)
Others:
"Blouten" (With severe German accent) - another made up word for for oh sh*t.
"Bob's your uncle" - which in my he actually is!
"About as popular as a fart in a phone box"
"Squinkx" - thanks.

Lots of others but can't remember them at the moment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results