shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sound like a bad idea??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A bad FLAMABLE idea?

I can't find lamp shades in a shade I want (dark orange) so I thought I would just get some basic ones and paint/dye... SOMETHING them dark orange.

I was thinking some type of non-flamable spray paint. Or Rit dye... or something... will that make the shades dangerous do you think?

Also... if it's dye it would have to be a cotton or silk shade, hopefully without scotchguard or anything that would affect the dye taking.

Any other lampshade solutions? That don't involve completely recovering the shades in fabric (cause that sounds like a PITA).

Of course, I might just go for ivory shades with a banding of orange ribbon. Would a glue gun be a flame risk???

Advice?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 5:15:13 PM
Author:Gypsy
A bad FLAMABLE idea?

I can''t find lamp shades in a shade I want (dark orange) so I thought I would just get some basic ones and paint/dye... SOMETHING them dark orange.

I was thinking some type of non-flamable spray paint. Or Rit dye... or something... will that make the shades dangerous do you think?

Also... if it''s dye it would have to be a cotton or silk shade, hopefully without scotchguard or anything that would affect the dye taking.

Any other lampshade solutions? That don''t involve completely recovering the shades in fabric (cause that sounds like a PITA).

Of course, I might just go for ivory shades with a banding of orange ribbon. Would a glue gun be a flame risk???

Advice?

I wouldn''t worry about the glue gun thing- you would just need to use a HIGH temp glue so it wouldn''t melt
29.gif
once it was on the shade.

Here are some ideas from Martha- I think you have a lot of options...
lampshade "slipcover"

seam-binding lampshade- you could get orange binding perhaps?

more random lampshade fun

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
also looks like painting is an option as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the seam binding ones... but don''t know if I''m exact enough to get them just right. The trimmed ones are great... and I really like the painted paper shades... just need to find shades that are the right size and shape for this project now. GREAT advice about the high temp glue. I wouldn''t have thought of that.

Now I can have matching shades!

Perfect! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results