shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the Fluorescence matter?

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
I found this nice diamond (0.85) with GIA certified 3 EX. Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, H, VS2(crystal, cloud), HCA score 1.6. However, it has medium blue fluorescence. I was told that at some point, fluorescence will make the diamond look milky. Is it true? Do I need to concern about that?
The price for that diamond is around $4600.
Is it a good buy?
Thank you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not all fluor will make a stone milky, check with the vendor if this stone has that.

What are the input for the HCA score?

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

HCA score:1.6

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Input. That is the output.

hellosisi1977

Rough_Rock
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Proportions looks promising from the numbers. Price looks good too.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a D w/ SB fluor (see my avatar) and I absolutely adore it, fwiw. :bigsmile:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In most cases, fluorescence has no visible effect on a stone so in that sense, it's unlikely to matter. It DOES have an effect on the price (fluorescent stones are usually cheaper) so in that sense it's a feature. In a few cases it changes the look in high UV environments, like direct sunlight, in an unattractive way. That's a bad thing. And in some cases it helps to mask a yellow body color giving it the appearance of a 'higher' color. That's a good thing. Whether any or all of these apply to the stone you're considering will depend on the details but I would not summarily dismiss a stone because of fluorescence. FWIW, I think it's sort of cool and it's certainly a conversation piece at the nightclub.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results