shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the date on the Blue Nile GIA Certificate Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TimmyB

Rough_Rock
I just bought what I thought seems like a great diamond for the money on BN, only to realize post purchase that the GIA Certificate is about 1 year old -- April 2008. The rock has strong blue fluoresence, so given the date on the certificate, I''m concerned that it may have this "milky" effect that I''ve been reading about here. It''s not a BN signature cut. I''ve read that making exchanges with BN can be a nightmare, so I''m wondering if I should just try to exchange it now, before I even see it? Here are the specs:

GIA Certified
Strong Blue
J
VS2
Cut, Polish, Symmetry = Excellent

Depth% = 60.7
Table% = 58
Crown% = 33
Pavillion% = 40.8

The Holloway Cut Advisor gives it a .9

I truely appreciate anyone''s thoughts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Timmy,

The date is fine, in the scheme of things not old at all. Also with strong blue fluorescence apparently if there is a negative effect from it ( which is very rare anyway) - it is one of those things that you will know it if it affects the diamond - it will be obvious. So I would say if the diamond does not look cloudy in any lights you should be fine. Maybe if you are unsure, get an independant appraiser to check it out, this might put your mind at ease. See this tool to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

As for the diamond's proportions it looks like you found a good one!

TimmyB

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Lorelei! I really appreciate your thoughts!

Tim

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 3:16:07 PM
Author: TimmyB
Thanks, Lorelei! I really appreciate your thoughts!

Tim
Most welcome Tim, I hope that helped a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results