shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Polish and Symmetry Affect the Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scoop

Rough_Rock
How much should I be concerned with the GIA certification for symmetry and polish.

Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would avoid diamonds with polish less than Good.

GIA's symmetry grading method gives very little useful data.
It is possible for diamonds with excellent visual symmetry to get good or very good grades. The best way to tell is to examine them with an ideal-scope.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll have to 2nd Gary's input but would also add this.

Your most valued diamonds on the market are your GIA Ex/Ex and AGS "Ideal". Polish/Symmetry gradings by the labs do affect optics to a degree but nothing nothing affects the visual appearance more than 3 dimensional symmetry grading does. 3 dimensional symmetry can be critically observed under what Gary is referring to (idealscope) or an H&A viewer and in real world conditions is flattered most in diffuse light (ie. cloudy day, soft or ambient light) conditions where this feature is observable to the human eye.

Optimal proportions (physical measurement of the facets and the angles they've been cut to) will directly affect how fiery and scintillating the diamond will appear moreso in direct light conditions (5800 kelvin, sunny day) etc. My suggestion is get look for a diamond that will be the most flattering in all light conditions.

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results