shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Linkedin Work For You?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Aside from checking someone's resume, have you ever used Linked In?

Has it ever gotten you work or a project?

How did it work, what did you do?

I'm looking for more projects in my field, but not sure how to go about it? I have connections, but if they wanted what I had to offer wouldn't they have contacted me? Or do I need to make the first move? If so, what do you suggest?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, the way that LinkedIn "works" for me is that I get continual contact from headhunters, but that is different of course than what you're looking to use it for. I think you can take advantage of the sight though because once you are connected to someone you can initiate a conversation with them about your services.

Or, a better method I think for you purpose, is that you can "update" your profile and those updates are blasted out to your contacts. So, for instance, you could update your profile to say, "Available to XXX" and when that gets blasted out people will go, "Oh, great! I need someone to XXX. I think I'll contact iLander!"

Does that make sense? I see this sort of thing all the time, especially when people are looking for a new job (again, not the same thing, but still making people aware you are "available" in some way). Updated profiles can be a really valuable tool, and you can do the updates on a regular basis to keep your name out there.

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Yes - you have to upgrade to the paid membership though to connect directly with people you don't know. I have found project managers in specialized fields for proposals that I worked on for my company. The connections have been great - I just made sure to check references carefully and had them sign nondisclosure agreements in case they didn't turn out to be a good fit. If you are looking for work yourself I would say to make sure your profile is updated, thorough, and contains just the right key words for the type of work you are seeking. Then reach out to others with a simple introductory email asking them to take a look at your profile/qualifications and to get in touch with you should they have any projects that suit their needs and your abilities.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Not sure how well it works for people, but I always get annoyed when I get Linkedin invites in my email - and when you ignore, it sends them repeatedly.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Several of my colleagues were headhunted through linkedin. I work for a big tech company in silicon valley.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never used it for my own resume, but a friend said that multiple jobs came in for him using it. It all came down to having connections and this person has been highly successful b/c of it.

I would say it is worth trying...it doesn't take up much time, and in fact, probably a lot less time than spent puttering about on the internet, so why not try it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I was in a different field I'd probably try it when seeking employment just to know I've made every effort to find something and get my name out there. As far as I know though, it's not a site popular for those in education.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is the stupidest "social media" site in existence. It serves NO purpose except to spam the hell out of people. I refuse to find out what the difference is in the paid version.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1374779658|3490145 said:
Several of my colleagues were headhunted through linkedin. I work for a big tech company in silicon valley.

My sister does IT stuff (software testing) and she was headhunted through LinkedIn and got a fat raise to go to a new company. I was recruited from it for a retail buying job but it was a company I wasn't interested in. I think it's highly dependent on your industry.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
We regularly post jobs on LinkedIn. I found two of my team members through LinkedIn... so it worked for them and for me. :bigsmile:

My husband has been contacted about several jobs through LinkedIn. Though he hasn't ended up in any of those jobs, he did do a fair amount of interviewing thanks to his profile and contacts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results