shape
carat
color
clarity

does it seem like there are more risky diamond buyers lately?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know, maybe it''s me...but it seems like there has been an increase since I''ve joined pricescope in people who want a big diamond for really really cheap and they are going in greater numbers to ebay. Flash for cash seems to come to mind. Is it me, or do you think so too? What do you think is causing this trend? Am I just being a diamond snob??

By the way, I don''t mean to offend anyone who has purchased a diamond from ebay. There are reputable sellers out there and it is possible to find a great purchase. I''m gearing this discussion more to the people who want a 2 carat stone for 2k and have no idea the difference in quality.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 6:31:17 PM
Author:kcoursolle
I don''t know, maybe it''s me...but it seems like there has been an increase since I''ve joined pricescope in people who want a big diamond for really really cheap and they are going in greater numbers to ebay. Flash for cash seems to come to mind. Is it me, or do you think so too? What do you think is causing this trend? Am I just being a diamond snob??

By the way, I don''t mean to offend anyone who has purchased a diamond from ebay. There are reputable sellers out there and it is possible to find a great purchase. I''m gearing this discussion more to the people who want a 2 carat stone for 2k and have no idea the difference in quality.
Today alone there were a bunch and weren''t too thrilled to hear our advice. Seems like when it rains it pours so to speak. I said in one post, I would be remiss if I didn''t warn the OP of the horror stories we see over and over on here.... Some people do get lucky on Ebay, but to me when we have so many great PS vendors, I would never take the risk of buying a diamond off of Ebay. Clothes, US cleaners, etc... no problem. My daughter buys clothes all the time and has had great success.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you, clothes, small stuff, ebay is awesome...and fun too! I love buying beading supplies and books on ebay. But for a big purchase...never on ebay in my opinion. I would want to purchase from someone I trust. It''s just not worth the risk if you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars.

They do also seem to get really defensive and dissappointed when we tell people who bring up ebay to be careful and that they could get ripped off. I''m just surprised by this because I think it only takes a little common sense to discover that is something is really really cheap, there is probably something wrong. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." What''s up with this???

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It tends to come and go in waves.
We get a bunch then don't get any for a while then get a bunch.
Percentage wise it hasn't been any worse lately than in the past there are more people so the number is greater however.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting Storm, do the waves of risky buyers seem to follow any sort of season or other reason why they might come at certain times? By the way, what are you getting for you 10k posts prize, or are you keeping that a secret? Congrats again on 10k posts!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there's a sucker born every minute!!!

i guess if you are just a random diamond buyer the idea of getting a 'steal' is just too good to pass up. plus they probably figure ebay wouldn't be so big and popular if people got really screwed all the time.
20.gif

i buy a ton of small things on ebay, and have bought some cheapy jewelry that sparkled just fine but i wouldn't buy a diamond or a ring unless it was not a 'seller' persay but someone with a story who wanted to sell the piece (like lynn buying that michael b ring off that gal who it didn't fit anymore etc)...and i could really be sure of what i was getting. i'd buy something vintage as well if there was a way to authenticate it or if i was okay with it being iffy. but 2c for $2k? if that was the case we'd all be wearing them!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I''m gonna have to check those posts out.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I just said this same thing in another post over in Rocky Talky: "buying on eBay" is like "buying on the internet"--some sellers are good, some bad. I think a lot of people who are new to the whole thing kind of assume (whether they completely think it through or not) that eBay verifies their sellers somehow and that being on eBay gives sellers some kind of credibility.

That said, I stick up for eBay here all the time.
9.gif
There are great deals to be had there, but you have to be very, very careful and not just assume that what you see in the picture is what you''re going to get.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it does seem like it.

Personally I''ve NEVER bought anything off of ebay. So I wouldn''t spend thousands on an ebay purchase.

Of course I''m the only one in the western world and 3/4 of the eastern world that has never bought anything off ebay.

So why not a diamond -- it looks like a good deal!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2006 6:58:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Interesting Storm, do the waves of risky buyers seem to follow any sort of season or other reason why they might come at certain times? By the way, what are you getting for you 10k posts prize, or are you keeping that a secret? Congrats again on 10k posts!
Wait till Christmas, valentines and mothers day!
other than that there isn't rhyme nor reason to it.

Its top secret cuz I don't know myself yet lol

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Did I read correctly that one guy on there today was actually an ebay seller trying to direct traffic to his own listing? that is SKETCHY!

I have had good experience buying and selling on ebay, but always items that cost under $100. I got taken advantage of (buyer damaged item then claimed return policy) on a sale of about $200 and decided it was too much hassle and have stayed away since then!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results