shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Ipod/Mp3 player sound bad for ceremony?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
We are getting married in a beautiful park at which a classical guitarist would be and sound fantabulous!!! Alas, we haven''t been "good" enough with our budget to justify and extra expense. Even if I save severl hundred on the cake, the flowers, and the invitations, that still probably will only put us back on budget, not ahead
39.gif

So we will need to consider the Mp3 player route for ceremony music
8.gif
8.gif
To those who used the same, did it sound okay? Did it feel tacky? In the end, do you look back and consider it a fantastic way to save several hundred bucks? Or do you regret it and wish you''d splurged?

Also, how did the logistics work out...meaning, who did you have control the thing? Does that seem like a demotion to that individual to have to stand in the back somewhere and watch the contraption instead of sitting and watching the ceremony??

I''m probably over concerned about it (as usual) but nevertheless, I need to ask. It''s been burning me since we realized we couldn''t have live music at the ceremony
39.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
The biggest way I've seen it go wrong is if the person "DJing" really isn't up to the task. You know, you ask a friend the day before to deal with the music. Or even you plan well in advance, have someone lined up with good music and they just don't take it very seriously, aren't well prepared, and despite everyone's best intentions the dance floor is dead, the song choices and transitions are poor. For it to work well, you have to have someone willing to take it on as a job and be excited about "working" your reception. Preferably someone who has done it before at a party. Its also pretty hard to properly DJ off an iPod but a lot easier to do a good job off a computer cause its easier to look for songs, organize, have stuff ready to go.

I think it certainly can be done, just choose the person and equipment carefully.

ETA: Opps, I see you are primarily concerned about CEREMONY music. Oh, I think this is much safer. You still need someone to take it seriously, have a job during the service instead of getting all mushy-eyed, but as long as you practice the logistics at the rehearsal it seems good to go.

broadway

Rough_Rock
We haven''t done it, but we''re seriously considering it... I''m taking polls with our friends, I''ll pass on any info I get from them!

regalada

Shiny_Rock
We used a computer with mp3s for both ceremony and reception. We were worried about who would get the "honor" of being in charge of the music (my male best friend was in the lead for the job) and whether it was fair to him as a guest, or whether he''d do a good job, etc.

That was stressing us out so much we decided to splurge for the day of wedding coordinator who played our music using a remote to control the laptop we parked in a nicely decorated table behind the ceremony guests chairs. The sound was great, we hooked the computer up to a set of speakers, and because it was in a courtyard, the sound was nicely contained. We are computer geeks, so our guests were amused to see that the computer was our string quartet/dj/wedding band rolled into one. Plus free!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
How would you play it? On a boombox-type thing or iPod speakers? That''s what I''ve been wondering about.

Mrs.soontobealfonzo

Rough_Rock
I think that an awesome Idea and I think if I were to attend a wedding that the music was all done by an ipod I would be impressed. Plus you can spend so much more on other nice things. you can even slurge way more.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So happy, we''re thinking of using an mp3 player too. My step-br. offered to provide a dj but I''m just not sure I want it, nor do I feel like worrying about who he''ll pick, etc..
I think the mp3 would just be easier in some ways. My reception has speakers and they said I just need some device to hook up the mp3 player to the speakers. No idea what that is though. I know there''s other threads on this though w/possibly some links on how to do it.
I have all the same questions that you do so I''m sorry
7.gif
, I have no real answers. I think you''d probably have to ask a friend to help out. I''ve wondered who this could be too.

Are you only thinking of having the music for the ceremony? Also, make sure the music is allowed at the park. I looked at some parks which had certain music-related restrictions.

Sorry I was no real help.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone for your responses :) It''s good to know I''m not alone in my questioning.

To clarify, yes, I am only looking to use the Mp3 player during the ceremony. We do have a DJ for the reception already so I don''t have to worry about that part of the day (thankfully). The DJ for the recpetion is free so I am debating whether to ask FI to ask his DJ friend if he wouldn''t mind also being the "DJ" at the ceremony, but on a smaller scale and with small equipment (like my Creative Vision or something). On that, I just feel imposing....but if it''s done right, I''m sure just asking won''t hurt :)

The park is fine with having musicians and I am assuming that is because they are assuming classical-ish music will be played and only enhance the wonderment that is that flower/tree park :) I''m not sure if doing the music the Mp3 way will conflict with thier idea of "classy" and "enhancing" tho lol. I''ll ask on that.

However, let''s assume I get someone to work the thing during and the park does not mind the sounds coming from a pink gizmo instead of brass and strings.............I guess I am still wondering how it''ll sound. I have these little JBL speakers that I carry with me when I''m going to be in a hotel room etc and it sounds fantastic in that room..........but an open space? Not so sure. Perhaps FI and I can to down there one day and test it out.

Sounds like I need to do more work on this! If there is anyone else out there that has successfully done this, I (and it sounds like, others) would love to hear words of encouragement..........or even tips to make it run smoothly :)

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
DJ's today are just guys who own a computer and a set of speakers. Seriously...I have a friend who gets paid $300-$500 depending on the event. All he does is sit at a podium and take requests. If he doesn't have the song, he uploads it. His job is so painfully easy.

My 8 year old niece can create a playlist and hit a button!
I will definitely be saving my money. :)

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 6:10:03 PM
Author: luckystar112
DJ''s today are just guys who own a computer and a set of speakers. Seriously...I have a friend who gets paid $300-$500 depending on the event. All he does is sit at a podium and take requests. If he doesn''t have the song, he uploads it. His job is so painfully easy.

Okay, it sounds like you''re trying to relay to me that it''s something I should''nt stress so much about because it''s an easy thing to arrange. I get that. I am stressing.....but only because the ceremony is going to be the part that really counts. (funny....it''s the cheapest part but most meaningful lol). I would still want someone (more dependable than a child) there in case the music freaks out or something. Plus, the music would have to start and stop at pretty exact times that I feel should flow with the event so it''d be hard to, say, have 5 songs play while everyone is filing in and then BAM! no choice but to start the processional because the 6th song is the processional song.

I''d think that having a person in charge whom we could signal when to start certain "playlists" (for parts of the ceremony) even would be very helpful.

All in all, the ceremony will take one hour tops......that''s from the "filing in" to guests leaving for the reception. So, I know its "only" an hour but the ceremony is the most important part of this whole day so I really want it to be as nice as we can possibly afford. Thank you for the reassurance that the money saved will be worth it!!! :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's a difference in the quality of sound between mp3/4 (iPod or computer) and wav (CD) format. Most people won't really notice--the only reason I can tell is that FI is a recording engineer and is driven CRAZY by poor sound quality. The average ear would need to hear both back to back to be able to tell.

If you're not concerned about anyone knowing the difference (minus my own FI, I wouldn't be) then it's a great idea.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 6:19:41 PM
Author: So_happy
Date: 3/2/2007 6:10:03 PM

Author: luckystar112

DJ''s today are just guys who own a computer and a set of speakers. Seriously...I have a friend who gets paid $300-$500 depending on the event. All he does is sit at a podium and take requests. If he doesn''t have the song, he uploads it. His job is so painfully easy.

Okay, it sounds like you''re trying to relay to me that it''s something I should''nt stress so much about because it''s an easy thing to arrange. I get that. I am stressing.....but only because the ceremony is going to be the part that really counts. (funny....it''s the cheapest part but most meaningful lol). I would still want someone (more dependable than a child) there in case the music freaks out or something. Plus, the music would have to start and stop at pretty exact times that I feel should flow with the event so it''d be hard to, say, have 5 songs play while everyone is filing in and then BAM! no choice but to start the processional because the 6th song is the processional song.

I''d think that having a person in charge whom we could signal when to start certain ''playlists'' (for parts of the ceremony) even would be very helpful.

All in all, the ceremony will take one hour tops......that''s from the ''filing in'' to guests leaving for the reception. So, I know its ''only'' an hour but the ceremony is the most important part of this whole day so I really want it to be as nice as we can possibly afford. Thank you for the reassurance that the money saved will be worth it!!! :)

So_happy, this ceremony music thing seems to be pretty important to you and the timing is stressing you out. Is there any way you can hire a proper musician or two? I don''t know where you are, but there is a music conservatory near me that has a musician hire service for their students. They are absolutely outstanding, professional dressed, training to be professional musicians and they cost something like $100-200 for their services. They have a great rep on our local knot board. Is there any way you could find/afford someone like that? It just seems that going ipod on this item might not be a good choice for you, as you really seem to care.

sarie_j

Shiny_Rock
I agree, before going this route call local colleges/community colleges, music conservatory, even local music shops who give lessons -- there is always someone who can play really well but isn''t professional, or someone who would just say wow, it''s a wedding, and think it was sweet to play for you. There was a girl in our town who had a string quartet of 13 year olds and I have to say I was shocked, they were young enough to take the entire thing much much more seriously than adults ever would, played beautifully, and actually got her wedding on the front page of our local paper because of it. I''m not saying go hire random 13 year olds, just that there is a lot of talent out there that never gets tapped, you just have to look for it. Since you are really stressing over this I definitely think that it is worth it for you -

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I have put feelers out there for student muscians and I really do hope I can find one to work my wedding :) If I can''t, I will find some way to make it work with the mp3 player :) I retrospect, I dont'' think I''m full out stressing as much as I am so excited about planning a lovely garden/park ceremony with romantic, fantastic sounding music
30.gif
30.gif

Thanks for all the wonderful input!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results