shape
carat
color
clarity

Does finger size vary from jeweler to jeweler?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
FI got sized at a jewellery store in Hatton Gardon and was told he's a size Y. He was sized at a different store and told he's a W1/2. He wore a ring at another jeweler which was an X and it fit fine. Then we decided to buy online and were sent a sizer by the online jeweler that indicates he's a W! Do they size differently?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only if they use cheap sizing mandrels, or if they're careless - it is supposed to be a uniform system.

ETA: It also depends on individual hands - for a lot of women, sizes can change a LOT, depending on the time of the month. I don't think the same is true for men, though, not unless they're prone to eating lots of sodium once in a while - perhaps? Hopefully a few of our male PSrs will chime in.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience, yes, as much as half a size. One PS vendor told me that there may be variation not only among mandrels, but also, when they slip a ring on the mandrel, what point on the mandrel they look at as being the true size, the top, bottom, or middle of the ring--if that makes sense.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, I ordered my ering from Whiteflash size 6.25 and it is very loose....ordered my eternity band from IDJ size 6.5 and it is a little snug.

I tried to figure out what was going on with the sizes so I took the Whiteflash ring (which was odered size 6.25) to several different local jewelers and I got that it was 6.5, 6.5, 6.75 and 6.25 from 4 different jewelers.

I still have NO CLUE as to what size I need....I was told a size 6 by a local jeweler but who knows? lol

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had my ring finger sized at various jewelers and they always tell me I'm a 5.5.

Now, different rings are comfortable on me at different sizes. I like a thicker shank to be a larger size than my true size as they don't feel as comfortable on me if they're too close to my true size. Thinner shanks feel much larger on me than thick ones, even if they're all the same size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results