shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone use a SAD lamp?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Please tell me about your experiences! Has it helped boost your mood in the winter months when there's not as much sunlight?

My mood is highly dependent on sunlight, so I find fall and winter to be challenging. I've heard that these lamps mimic the sun, and would love to hear from anyone that's used one!

inne

Shiny_Rock
I put mine on as soon as I wake up and then lie in bed and read for an hour in the mornings. You are supposed to sit very close to them but mine is a few feet away and not pointing right at me, which is not how it's supposed to work at all, but even like this it really helps my mood as soon as it starts getting darker. Be sure to buy one with 10,000 lux.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but I bought one used for $5 that was described by the seller as "too weak" to be mood-altering. I bought it because it was exactly the same as the gem lamp that GIA sells for its intro analysis class. They are great for color accuracy and for getting the right color-temperature for photography -- of anything, not just gems.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one I bought a couple of years ago. And I never opened it. Yup. I bought it and put it away and that was that. Makes no sense I know. When I go back to our NYC apartment to get more of my things I will get this too. Thanks for the reminder. And I will post here and let you know my thoughts.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I had an OTT lamp, but it’s a Verilux original natural spectrum deluxe.
I’ve had it for over 12 years.
I’m sure technology has changed since then.
I think it helps somewhat with my mood during the winter dreary months, and I don’t care if it’s a placebo effect. I didn’t expect a life change or miracles :)

edited to add
I thought mine had a lux rating when I got it. But looking at what verilux offers now, there’s nothing to support that it did at that time, or ever. I do know, however, it made a difference on those long dark winter days with only cheap fluorescent lighting abound.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I use one at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. Have every morning for more than 5 years. He said no matter what brand you get to make sure it is 10,000 lux at 24 inches, so that you get the full dose of light without having to be super close to it. The brand I have is Alaska Northern Lights (again, highly recommended by my doctor). It has made a huge difference for me. I have my coffee with it every morning.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay, I think I'm going to get one! I feel like it can't hurt :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of one?
Is in because you don't get enough sunlight in the winter ?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of one?
Is in because you don't get enough sunlight in the winter ?

That's the basic idea! It's a specific type of lamp that's supposed to help make up for the lack of daylight. So you're generally recommended to use it in the morning, and it'll help wake you up and boost your mood.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's the basic idea! It's a specific type of lamp that's supposed to help make up for the lack of daylight. So you're generally recommended to use it in the morning, and it'll help wake you up and boost your mood.

I suppose it depends on what latitude one lives at ?
We get plenty of bright sunlight here even in winter
Ive mostly walked to work and went for a walk on my lunch break so im pretty sure ive always got enough sun light

When i saw the title of this thread i thought it must have been some fancy dianond tester thingy :mrgreen2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We tried several for him and none of them seemed to work for very long. It was the major factor in moving south. The last year before we completely moved he was there like 3 months. He wanted to go way further south but I need to be in the states to work.

The first time we visited Iceland (it was in the winter) was trying. I would have enjoyed it more without having Oscar the Grouch with me .

The last one was truly enormous

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one and it definitely worked for me when I lived on the dreary west coast. In the east, there are more days with sunshine, and in the winter the skies are also bright, as is snow. I'd definitely give it a try.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We tried several for him and none of them seemed to work for very long. It was the major factor in moving south. The last year before we completely moved he was there like 3 months. He wanted to go way further south but I need to be in the states to work.

The first time we visited Iceland (it was in the winter) was trying. I would have enjoyed it more without having Oscar the Grouch with me .

The last one was truly enormous

I lived in Ireland for a few years and the weather was pretty brutal for me. If not for the lack of sun, I probably would have stayed because I loved it there otherwise.

How far south did you move?

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
I live in the New England area but grew up in a sunshine place like Florida. In the winter time, I go to work and leave work in the dark. I have used one for three years now at work and it has helped me IMHO.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose it depends on what latitude one lives at ?
We get plenty of bright sunlight here even in winter
Ive mostly walked to work and went for a walk on my lunch break so im pretty sure ive always got enough sun light

When i saw the title of this thread i thought it must have been some fancy dianond tester thingy :mrgreen2:
I lived in Ireland for a few years and the weather was pretty brutal for me. If not for the lack of sun, I probably would have stayed because I loved it there otherwise.

How far south did you move?

From Massachusetts to South Florida. Overall we gained about an hour more of daylight, which makes it a lot more bearable for him. Weather also plays a huge roll in that too.

inne

Shiny_Rock
From Massachusetts to South Florida. Overall we gained about an hour more of daylight, which makes it a lot more bearable for him. Weather also plays a huge roll in that too.

For sure. I usually go to Southern California (from Canada) for a month or so in the winter because it makes such a difference for me emotionally.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I use a tanning bed several times every winter. Yep, I know all about the restrictions and the laws and everything else/ info in anyway and wear my mast and whatnot. I still go while other people do or do not S

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably first try just going outside for a little while each day. Besides getting a little sun, it gives that larger outlook, a reminder that there's a big world out there with lots of possibilities.

I have read that depression is linked to vitamin D deficiency, which is somewhat provided by the sun, though. I am no expert but maybe taking a vitamin D supplement would also help.

Last edited:

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
I want to add that I got my lamp as a prize while I worked at a hospital. The lamp was approved by the chief nutritionist and the behavioral health doctor(I think that was her specialty) for helping with SAD if that helps.

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
10,000 lux. This was recommended to me as well to be effective with SAD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results