shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone recognize this setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Turtle

Rough_Rock
I pulled this pic off of a thread last week because I liked it. Does anyone know who makes this setting or where I can get it?

eight.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Uhhhh, it looks familar but I can't place it. Was that a custom Mark Morrell piece? Which thread did you pull it from?

Turtle

Rough_Rock
I don't remember the thread or what the topic was but I think I pulled it off of DiamondTalk. They might have been talking about Eightstar diamonds.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Looks like a Vatche Royal Crown with sidestones from the top.

kiwifuz

Rough_Rock
Looks like the d.vatche royal crown with channel set diamonds on the side to me. here's a link that shows it (as long as i'm right about what it is) and the band: http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/new_catalouge.htm

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, channel set, not sidestones. My bad. Definitely a Royal Crown.

Ginny

Rough_Rock
That's close, but doesn't the Royal Crown have 6 prongs, not 4?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the royal crown has six prongs, so that isn't it. I've seen something like it before, called a "neat line" I think. I can't place the maker, but I'll try and get back later.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Good point. Royal Crown is 6 prong. On their website, Vatche has a 4 prong X-prong princess with baguette channel set that looks very similar to the setting posted here, but it's not round. Now I'm curious!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Check out all the threads in the "Show Me the Ring" Forum, I believe the buyer posted it on this site too.

I just checked the forum, this ring is in the e-ring folder but it was posted by Scorpion not the buyer. There is a similar setting with with a princess cut and tghat one is nice too. It was posted by Boston or Gregg, I can't remember.

The original thread poster on DT can tell you where you to get it.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Turtle-

I have attached a side profile of that particular setting. The setting is a custom design created by Mark Morell.
It was originally posted on Diamondtalk by the author Boomerang.

The center stone is an Eightstar Diamond...

Hope this helps...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

mmmroeel.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That setting was first posted on DT and then again in the show me the ring forum here. I know because I LOVE it, its easily my second favorite of course to my own ring. I believe it was a custom made Mark Morrell, but the one thing I do recall is that the diamonds on the side are bead set and not channel. The thread it was posted on in DT is the big one with all the pictures of the rings...I think its something like 20 pages. Don't recall much else...but I do believe this was a custom piece.

It's definitely not the Vatche RC or channel set or anything like that.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah knew it! found it on the DT eRing post. The ring belongs to Buttercup and this is what she had to say about it:

diamond: http://www.****************/2_02ct_i_vs2_h&a.htm
setting: platinum made by mark morrell

3 other pix to come. It's beautiful.

Jason-fin-001.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW I think that url is GOG's site where BC got the diamond from. The way the url is laid out looks similar to their structure plus since I think GOG was banned, the ***'s replace the site name. So if you want to see the stone itself, try adding goodoldgold where the *** are.

Jason-fin-002.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jason-fin-003.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one. Hope BC doesn't mind me reposting her gorgeous pix!!
1.gif

Jason-fin-004.jpg

gg

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Those are 2 different settings, both made by Mark Morrell. The one you posted was made for a DT poster, buttercup. Look carefully and you will see that the bead set shanks are the same, but the crowns are different.

sparklelvr

Rough_Rock
Thanks to Scorpion I was able to locate the original post. He was definitely correct, it is a Mark Morrell orginal, the pictures Mara posted were for Buttercup's ring and this ring came before hers did. Here is the original link for the picture Turtle posted.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21819&highlight=mark+morrell

It reminds me of the Classic Cartier I love only with diamonds.

It took me forever to sign up and respond to this post.
Thanks Turtle for bringing these 2 beautiful settings for Boomerang and Buttercup to the forefront again.

I knew of Buttercup's ring but had never seen Boomerang's before this. She has nice profile and detailed pictures in the link.

Scorpion,
Thank you for working so dilligently to keep the rings updated in the show me the ring forum. It definitely makes browsing easier.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I am completely missing something but I thought that original pic that Turtle posted asking about IS Buttercup's ring. It has the 6 prongs vs 4...but now Turtle's original posted pic is not showing up for me? To me his original pic (from what I recall) is the one I posted, the one that Scorp found for Boomerange has 4 prongs and a different setting. Or maybe I just saw Turtle's original pic wrong? Very odd!!! I could have sworn that was the same ring I was thinking of, its in the Eye Candy section. Oh well, both are very lovely, but BC's is my FAVORITE.

1.gif

Turtle

Rough_Rock
Thanks Scorpion and Mara for leading me to Mark Morrell. I should have known!! But I think Sparklelvr is correct in saying the original pic I posted was Boomerangs, not Buttercups. Although they are similar, Buttercups has 6 prongs and Boomerangs has 4. Both are beautiful!! I've posted the original pic again for comparison.

Thanks for all the help!
9.gif

eight1.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mara-

Both rings are very unique and very similiar. When I was trying to track the author on Diamontalk I had the same confusion you encountered, being that both rings are very similiar in design and both were created by Mark Morell.

One setting had the larger stone a little over 2 carats (Buttercup) and the other setting has the smaller stone which is the Eightstar (Boomerang) from the original pic I posted on The ERING EYE CANDY THREAD.

Mark's Designs are really unique and I notice on 2 of his designs which are posted in that thread the curves of the rings he designs are very contoured and polished eliminating a lot of the edgy looks of some other popular styles....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow they look SO similar but you are right, in the Buttercup image, you can see that the stone is definitely bigger. what is the size of the Boomerang ring? I really love them both actually though I like the lower head setting of BC.

sparklelvr

Rough_Rock
Mara,
another difference is that if you look at the top of the ring on Buttercup's ring the make a heart shape 6 prong. Boomerang's doesnt have the heart shape and is a 4 prong the link for Boomerang really shows the difference from the profile angle.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 4/26/2003 4:34:34 PM Mara wrote:

Wow they look SO similar but you are right, in the Buttercup image, you can see that the stone is definitely bigger. what is the size of the Boomerang ring? I really love them both actually though I like the lower head setting of BC.

----------------
Hi Mara-

The size and spec's of the center stone is a 0.96 G VS1 Eightstar.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
They are very simlar but I like the 6 prong more, maybe because of the larger stone and also, Boomerangs doesn't look like it has any squareness in the shank. Am I using "shank" properly?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that Buttercup's 'I' color actually seems to show up slightly in some of the side and bottom pictures? In the front facing one it looks white white white but in the other pix you can notice a hint of color. Very interesting.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I noticed that also Mara. I have also read through the forums that when a stone is larger in this case being a little of 2 carats the color can become a little more noticable. Looks as if the picture was taken on a white platform or on a white background.

-Good Observation.........

Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

How's your gemology course going???

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Now that you brought it to my attention, yes I can see, how does that work because it does look white face up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds appear whiter face up in general, its only really from the bottom and/or sides that you can see hints of color. I am not too sure WHY exactly...possibly because of the way the light enters and refracts from the top of the stone vs the bottom and side where there are no facets to reflect light as there are from the top?

The class is going well Josh...but I have yet to turn in my tests, I'm so lazy. I did them all and now I am hoarding them at home. I guess I only have 3-4 months to complete the course so I better get to it. I have to call to find out when the deadline is.

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results