shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone paint with acrylics on canvas?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a gigantic canvas today, along with several tubes of acrylic paint and two brushes. I want to create something very similar to the picture I posted. Do I need to prep the canvas in some way? I purchased white acrylic to use as the background for the writing, but do I need to do anything else to the canvas first? I tried some online searches but didn't turn up a lot of specific instruction. :read: Thanks!

wordsoncanvas.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Some people like to gesso the canvas first (white stuff, brush on with 6 inch brush), it gives it a finer surface. Just buy a jar of gesso, slop it on there (neatly).

I usually just paint right on there, DH just paints straight on there too.

It's a preference.

Have you done that kind of thing* before? It's actually kind of tricky . . .

ETA: *I mean lettering on canvas. Because of the surface, you might want to have a tiny brush on hand to fill in teeny gaps caused by the bumps of the surface.

On second thought, a couple of coats of gesso might be a good idea.

Looks like a fun project!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'll have to skip the gesso; I'm pregnant and after researching what it is, the acrylic kind has some toxic stuff in it like formaldehyde. The actual gesso creeps me out because it's made from rabbit skin! Whoa!

I haven't done the lettering on canvas before. In fact, I don't remember ever painting on an actual canvas. Maybe I should get some two-for-$7.99 small canvases first and practice a bit.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If it were me (and I've painted a lot), I would get a pad of canvas paper and practice on that. The amount of water and paint on the brush has to be just right to get the words to flow out. Too dry, and it's bumpy and crooked, too wet and it's drippy and uneven. It will also help if you sketch out the words and how they break across the canvas.

If you want it to be easier, you can do it on what's called illustration board (smooth surface-hot press), then mat and frame it. We have good luck with frames at craft stores, and we've ordered cheap cut custom mats from this guy on ebay;

http://stores.ebay.com/Craigs-Hardwood-Picture-Frames

Last mat we got was like $12 and it was huge. Arrived quickly, too.

The illustration board is very smooth and the paint will glide like butter. You'll have to get it at an art supply store (as opposed to craft store).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually sand the canvas lightly with fine sandpaper, just to make the surface a little smoother. Sand, then wipe any residue off with a damp cloth or paper towel.

And as ilander said, just practice a little before you move to the canvas - you'll have to add a little water to the paint to make it flow better - just experiment a little. Oh, you want to hold the brush fairly perpendicular to the canvas - if you lean the brush too much, your lines will be too thick.

If you mess up, you can wipe off the paint with a wet cloth, then re-paint with the white. Let dry and try again!

This is such a cute idea! Love it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you iLander and Junebug!!! You have been so helpful. I should probably practice. I'm planning to paint some of the lyrics from "Here Comes The Sun" on this canvas and install it in the nursery. The song has a lot of meaning for my husband and I wanted to put something in there that included him since I've chosen everything else. He got tears in his eyes when I told him that's what I was up to today!

The painting won't be black and white. I picked up a couple colors out of what's in the window panels I chose, so I have a pretty green and a mustard/gold. I am going to have trouble choosing which one to use. The walls are a light yellow (banana cream, I think) and the furniture is all white. I've attached a pic of the window panels. What do you think? I have different sizes/shapes of paper lanterns that are red/gold/yellow/off white to use for a mobile, so there will be some color in the upper portion of the room as well.

vibrantpaisleypanel.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's an adorable idea! I love the panels - pretty pattern and great colors! I think I'm leaning towards the green, only because that color may show up a little better against the white canvas, and the wall color (more contrast). You could just do a sample of each on paper and hold it up on the wall to see which looks better - this is going to be such a pretty room! :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Junebug! I'm leaning toward the green as well, for the same reasons you mentioned. I could always get smaller canvases and do something complimentary with the yellow, or use it for practice.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love, love, love your style!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, OUPeargirl! I have to give some credit to Pinterest since a lot of my inspiration came from pins I found there. Otherwise, I just wanted something that wasn't too baby-ish and that went with the rest of our house. I don't know about you, but I can't stand the shock of walking through a house that really flows until you get to the kids' rooms and BAM!!! Completely different color schemes and craziness all over the walls! :errrr: Too much stimulation for me!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
IT is too late now since you already have the canvass, but I would just paint on the wall.

That said I usually seal the canvas with a dilute glue, then make a rabbit skin gesso with calcium carbonate. I dont use formaldehyde and the hardener, something less toxic, cant remember right now, probably a side effect. rabbit skin gessoes have to me used hot. Gesso in a can like you find in art supply stores is just a polymer. THey protect the canvas from the oil in the paint which would eventually promote rot, and give you a smooth surface. You dont have to use it at all, especially if you're not hoping to keep the piece for 100+ years

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1330750259|3139770 said:
IT is too late now since you already have the canvass, but I would just paint on the wall.

That said I usually seal the canvas with a dilute glue, then make a rabbit skin gesso with calcium carbonate. I dont use formaldehyde and the hardener, something less toxic, cant remember right now, probably a side effect. rabbit skin gessoes have to me used hot. Gesso in a can like you find in art supply stores is just a polymer. THey protect the canvas from the oil in the paint which would eventually promote rot, and give you a smooth surface. You dont have to use it at all, especially if you're not hoping to keep the piece for 100+ years

LOL! :lol: :lol:

I'm still having effects from Bestine from paste-up back in the day. Mmmmm, cigarettes and Bestine . . . :cheeky:

The '80's are a blur to me . . . :D

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1330816730|3140169 said:

I'm still having effects from Bestine from paste-up back in the day. Mmmmm, cigarettes and Bestine . . . :cheeky:

Haha, iLander, it sounds like you enjoyed the 80's tremendously! I remember watching all the 80's movies wishing I were old enough to participate in all the coolness. What the heck is Bestine, out of curiosity?

VapidLapid: I would like to think this piece will last a few decades...I can't imagine our gal wanting to keep the painting throughout her adulthood or anything, but on the off chance she does, I should get the Gesso in a can? I guess I could have my husband apply that part to the canvas for me just in case? I mean, this probably won't be a family heirloom, but it is sentimental to him and me, and possibly to her in the future...I do want to keep it on canvas so it's relocatable rather than doing it on the wall (which also happens to be textured).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1330843986|3140348 said:
iLander|1330816730|3140169 said:

Haha, iLander, it sounds like you enjoyed the 80's tremendously! I remember watching all the 80's movies wishing I were old enough to participate in all the coolness. What the heck is Bestine, out of curiosity?

VapidLapid: I would like to think this piece will last a few decades...I can't imagine our gal wanting to keep the painting throughout her adulthood or anything, but on the off chance she does, I should get the Gesso in a can? I guess I could have my husband apply that part to the canvas for me just in case? I mean, this probably won't be a family heirloom, but it is sentimental to him and me, and possibly to her in the future...I do want to keep it on canvas so it's relocatable rather than doing it on the wall (which also happens to be textured).

Back in the day, we used rubber cement to paste up newspapers, etc., and Bestine was a solvent that dissolved it. I used to just pour it on my hands, to get rid of the sticky. It was also highly flammable, which made the cigarettes an adventure. Back in the '80's, media types used to smoke, it was a byproduct of horrible deadlines and annoying clients.

Fast forward 25+ years and Bestine is considered a hazardous material, tricky to even ship, and well, you know about cigarettes.

But no harm done, I feel just fine. :knockout:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Bestine thinner is a solvent for rubber cement. It evaporates really fast so is kinda cool literally. Back in the day we really had to cut and paste to place pictures, graphics, and text. Bestine allowed us to reposition the work many times. Now it seems that bestine in not quite as benign as dry cleaning fluid. But back then we also used to play with mercury in our hands, and leave the jar of sheep hearts in formaldehyde uncovered on the counter in double Biology labs. We thought then that the smell was the worst part; turns out it was the best.
I would say go with the gesso in a can. Golden makes a good acrylic gesso, easy to use, washes up with water, but only if you get to it before it dries. After it dries it doesnt wash with anything. Some people apply it with a spatula. When done well you can get a surface so smooth you dont have to sand it. The spatulas also lets you push it deeper into the canvas fibers. If you use a brush it can be a pain to get the brush strokes out while still wet and always have to sand smooth, unless you want the surface strokes to remain.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, learning experience number one: read the label on the canvas! I went out and bought gesso and a gesso brush and 3 little canvases on which to practice a few days ago. Today I was off work, so I thought I'd gesso my large canvas. I looked at the very small sticker/label on the upper corner and read that it has already been double-primed. So the gesso and brush are going back to the store (that stuff ain't cheap!) :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've tried. And failed. I couldn't get the brush to DO what it was SUPPOSED TO. I like to exert control over my environment and painting was a failure in that respect. DH still hung it up on the wall, proud as parent with scribbles on the fridge, bless him.

I will confess that I've been thinking about taking a Bob Ross painting class just for some fun (I know that's oils). Happy little trees.

We need pics of the final product now, you realize though?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have- in my third level art class in HS, I was pretty good- but not great. I found that more paint on ye brush was better for me to keep it looking smooth an for blending. Def takes practice.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1331536646|3146710 said:
I've tried. And failed. I couldn't get the brush to DO what it was SUPPOSED TO. I like to exert control over my environment and painting was a failure in that respect. DH still hung it up on the wall, proud as parent with scribbles on the fridge, bless him.

I will confess that I've been thinking about taking a Bob Ross painting class just for some fun (I know that's oils). Happy little trees.

We need pics of the final product now, you realize though?

I will post pics of the final product as soon as I have time to do the painting! :bigsmile: I'm not expecting perfection out of this; I am hopeful that it just turns out to be cute and something fun and personal. Even if it turns out terrible I'm still putting it on the wall!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally got some paint on the canvas! It was such a beautiful day here that I actually felt like opening all the windows, cranking up the music, and getting crafty. I practiced on a very small canvas first but it was enough to get a feel for the brush/paint/canvas, and then I went to town on the actual canvas. I made one "typo." Not too worried about it...I figure it would be too much of PITA to try to correct it, so I left it as is. Good example of an "it's ok to make mistakes" lesson down the road, right? :bigsmile: Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out. I may go back with a smaller brush and do some detailing i.e. filling in a few letters, but for now it's what I expected. Thanks for checking it out, and thanks again everyone who gave advice for sharing your knowledge with me!

practicepainting.jpg

painting2.jpg

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Your practice canvases look great! What a wonderful idea for your daughter's room, and I love that you are sticking with doing it on a canvas instead of the wall so it can be taken wherever she goes in the future if she wants.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Stephbolt! It was a really fun project. Next on the list is a quilt...a very simple one since I don't have that many weeks left!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you did a great job on it Monarch, it looks really nice! I like yours better than the inspiration piece!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Junebug! Also thanks again for your input and advice on this thread. You all helped me tremendously!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! Looks great honey!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results