shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone "lick the bowl" in your kitchen?

Do you or your kids still "lick the bowl"?

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! When i was growing up in the 70's and early '80's, one of my grandmothers would let us lick the bowl when she baked, the other was horrified and would scold my brother and I if she saw us doing it (warning us we would be sick from raw egg).

I never got sick. I let my kids do it. They now range from late teenager to early 20s, and one of the best parts of baking is tasting the batter! Especially cookie dough.

I have read that since eggs are pasteurized, they are actually not that unsafe.

My ex would also get angry at me when I would let our kids lick the bowl. He would act like I was poisoning them. Ex is long gone. My kids grew up licking the bowl and never got sick from it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! When i was growing up in the 70's and early '80's, one of my grandmothers would let us lick the bowl when she baked, the other was horrified and would scold my brother and I if she saw us doing it (warning us we would be sick from raw egg).

I never got sick. I let my kids do it. They now range from late teenager to early 20s, and one of the best parts of baking is tasting the batter! Especially cookie dough.

I have read that since eggs are pasteurized, they are actually not that unsafe.

My ex would also get angry at me when I would let our kids lick the bowl. He would act like I was poisoning them. Ex is long gone. My kids grew up licking the bowl and never got sick from it.

Im going to have to google pasturized eggs - I'd never heard of then till yesterday
The kid's dad sound like zero fun at all

Of on a tangent slightly but even if a wee kiddie didn't use a fresh spoon to scrap the bowl or test the mixture surly the heat of the oven will kill any germs
Must dash - ginger crunch in oven
have to make icing
butter, golden syrup, icing sugar and ginger
it has to be poured over hot when the base comes out of the oven
i dedinatly bags the icing bowl !
I may or may not have already licked the golden syrup spoon

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vast majority of eggs are not pasteurized. Only those specifically marked pasteurized are.

The risk is rather low-- only one egg in 10,000 to 20,000 contains Salmonella. However, Salmonella is very virulent, and one can become very ill from it, even require hospitalization and possibly even surgery. I prefer not to take the chance. Others may feel the risk is low enough not to worry.

I think the risk is higher if one eats, say, scrambled eggs served at a restaurant. They buy eggs in volume, which have been cracked and mixed together. One contaminated egg can contaminate the other eggs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The trouble with licking the bowl before one pours the mix out is my icing is now a bit skimpy :lol-2: :mrgreen2::doh:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to like the spatula and bowl after mixing cake mixes. Not the whole lot, just a little bit.

I once let the dog lick the bowl after making Tiramisu. It was too rich for him with dire consequences. Never again! :roll2:

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a jam (jelly) lover but when mum would put that little bit on a saucer to see if it would set - yum
i loved that bit

I made (and still do) make plenty of jelly/jams and my friends love them. Few weeks back I made rhubarb and strawberry jam which is like double hurl to me (though I love the smell of rhubarb!). You'll just never see me eat it. I am very weird about textures though. Hell I don't even like jello.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up on egg flips (separated eggs, yolks whipped into milk with vanilla and a little sugar, then poured into a glass with the egg whites whipped to meringue with a little sugar, spooned on top and sprinkled with cinnamon), eggs whipped into fresh orange juice (goes the most beautiful creamy apricot color!), and, later on, home made advocaat and egg nog. And then of course, there's Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream....

Suffice to say - a whole lot of bowl licking and no reservations going on in this house!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
The vast majority of eggs are not pasteurized. Only those specifically marked pasteurized are.

The risk is rather low-- only one egg in 10,000 to 20,000 contains Salmonella. However, Salmonella is very virulent, and one can become very ill from it, even require hospitalization and possibly even surgery. I prefer not to take the chance. Others may feel the risk is low enough not to worry.

I think the risk is higher if one eats, say, scrambled eggs served at a restaurant. They buy eggs in volume, which have been cracked and mixed together. One contaminated egg can contaminate the other eggs.

Pasteurized or not, still licking the bowl :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my boys were kids they licked the frosting bowl CLEAN. Other than that, nope.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made (and still do) make plenty of jelly/jams and my friends love them. Few weeks back I made rhubarb and strawberry jam which is like double hurl to me (though I love the smell of rhubarb!). You'll just never see me eat it. I am very weird about textures though. Hell I don't even like jello.

Yum
i love rhubarb
I can chomp on it straight out of the garden
i usually do it with raspberries and orange juice

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up on egg flips (separated eggs, yolks whipped into milk with vanilla and a little sugar, then poured into a glass with the egg whites whipped to meringue with a little sugar, spooned on top and sprinkled with cinnamon), eggs whipped into fresh orange juice (goes the most beautiful creamy apricot color!), and, later on, home made advocaat and egg nog. And then of course, there's Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream....

Suffice to say - a whole lot of bowl licking and no reservations going on in this house!

Yours sound alot flasher than mum's ones
Im now wandering if i would like pne now ? Its been almost 40 years
i wonder why mum stopped serving them ....m maybe because i stopped coming home for lunch because school was further away?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results