shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone "lick the bowl" in your kitchen?

Do you or your kids still "lick the bowl"?

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somone in the baking thread asked this, which made me curious ...

In the 60s when my mom baked cookies or cakes with raw eggs she let us lick the bowl, beaters, and rubber scraper.
With today's concern over salmonella in raw egg, does this licking still happen in your home?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Not for cookies no :( But I absolutely will for mashed potatoes once everyone else has eaten what they wanted first. Then they are all mine bowl and spoon and all lol.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Cookies, cakes, I've made a margarita pie in that past that used raw egg whits.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may have licked the bowl as recently as this morning .... banana pancakes

its interesting about the eggs
when i was a kid my mum brought our eggs off my friends mum
my friend's dad had chooks
Anyway often for lunch mum would make us an egg flip
Like a milkshake with vinilla and sugar and a raw egg
and we didn't keep eggs in the fridge either
but mum did baking most days and the eggs were always very fresh

my favourite raw mix is Christmas cake
That's the only reason i think i make xmas cake because i dont eat fruit cake but raw - i love it
all that booze mmmmmmmmm
Last night i made ANZAC biscuits because they taste so good raw - but they don't have eggs

I never ate mum's baking because i don't really like cake or biscuits
But i love the mix
belgium biscuits
yum yum
i was about 20 when mum finally started leaving some mix uncooked for me

my sister makes a choc mouse with egg that is unbaked
And i used to make this thing called pinnaple snow with raw egg white, cream and tinned pinnapple
I always lick the bowl - that's the best part!! ...but we use pasteurized eggs.

What's a pasteurized egg?
ive never heard of that

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anyone who says "no"--you know they're fibbing! :lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somone in the baking thread asked this, which made me curious ...

In the 60s when my mom baked cookies or cakes with raw eggs she let us lick the bowl, beaters, and rubber scraper.
With today's concern over salmonella in raw egg, does this licking still happen in your home?

I just brought a rubber scrapper again after never having had one since i left home
oh my they are so much better than a plastic or woodern spatula
And they are the absolute hands down best vessel to eat uncooked mix from !

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for cookies & cakes but that’s simply because I’ve never liked the taste of them “raw.” To this day, my mom licks the bowls and spoons...and she’s still kicking around just fine.

Like @MeowMeow , I’m definitely going after the leftover mashed potatoes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Especially for pesto crème sauce.....

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say to my girls "don't lick too much...." knowing fine well they'll lick it clean, as did we when we were children. My mother made everything, even the bread, and the bowl licking was the ENTIRE motivation for getting involved!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say to my girls "don't lick too much...." knowing fine well they'll lick it clean, as did we when we were children. My mother made everything, even the bread, and the bowl licking was the ENTIRE motivation for getting involved!

Ain't that the truth! My Mother made yeast doughnuts from scratch (and cake doughnuts) and that dough was really good! I still recall it!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We always lick the spatulas and that's with regular eggs from chickens who are supposedly "free range." I always told my daughter the same thing! And then we would both lick up all the batter. Remember a few years ago a bunch of people (mostly teenage girls) got sick from eating raw Pillsbury cookie dough? It turned out to be the flour as the eggs used are pasteurized.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe not me, but I'm not against other humans doing so. I am against the dogs doing it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ain't that the truth! My Mother made yeast doughnuts from scratch (and cake doughnuts) and that dough was really good! I still recall it!

Yummmm
Doughnut batter taste better than the finished product !
I totally forgot that

I have found on the cake mix front a cake/ loaf/ muffin mix with butter tastes better than one with oil uncooked

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep I do. Honestly I'm not really concerned about salmonella from eggs. Technically youre still at risk with a runny yolk, its supposed to firmly set before the risk is totally gone. So IMO theres not much point in avoiding raw eggs unless youre also avoiding runny yolk (which is the best part!).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confession: Sometimes I make a batch of brownies when DH takes the kids out just so I can have the bowl all to myself in peace and quiet.

I do not let the kids lick the bowl though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mum used to make these biscuits called kiwi biscuits
They were basically a choc chip cookie but made with condenced milk
sooooooo good raw
I don't keep condenced milk in the house because i can't resist it
just recently i made kiwi biscuits and the mix was still yummy raw
but in a couple (as in 2) i had treated myself to most of the can of condenced milk, so i won't be making them again for a long time ;)2

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
All this talk about brownies and doughnuts is making me feel the need to go into the kitchen and whip something up tonight. Oddly I am not a bowl licker, but I am a huge sweet tooth.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Totally do! Though I won’t do it while prego and I won’t let my three year old do it...I don’t let her see me eating it ghiradelli brownie batter is the best! And chocolate chip cookie dough!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love runny yolks -- and I pasteurize eggs myself with my sous vide immersion cooker. Heating them to 135º F. for 75 minutes kills all the bacteria.

That being said, I don't lick care to bowls, except if I've made fudge or frosting. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we were little yes we licked the batter from the baking bowl and scraper and beater and it was oh so good.

45 years later and sadly no more bowl licking from me. Though I always make sure to get ever bit of ice cream left on the spoon or stick. That is for sure.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As kids when we cooked we were made to practice good kitchen hygiene. covered hair, washed hands, aprons. you didn't touch your face, your mouth while cooking in the kitchen. If you had to test something you always used a clean utensil to do it. My brothers would eat raw batter or even raw dough. They didn't exactly cook much of it but hey there you go. I did try it and ....yucky. Frosting and Icing is different, loved that part but raw batter? that was yucky. sometimes though you would HAVE to test the raw product though, so I would do so but its not something I consider fun.

I used to make jelly with my grandmother. I wasn't a fan of jelly and that shit was hot coming out the pan so.....no to that too.

Also a no was pies because I maybe liked 3 pies (none of that chunky fruit shit either...blech....:sick: ) which is mostly to do with texture. And y'all already know I'm not the biggest ice cream fan either, though I will make it for the dog and the husband.

I was happy to wait on the finished product.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trust myself and the ingredients enough to lick the bowl after making chocolate mousse and Tiramisu.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As kids when we cooked we were made to practice good kitchen hygiene. covered hair, washed hands, aprons. you didn't touch your face, your mouth while cooking in the kitchen. If you had to test something you always used a clean utensil to do it. My brothers would eat raw batter or even raw dough. They didn't exactly cook much of it but hey there you go. I did try it and ....yucky. Frosting and Icing is different, loved that part but raw batter? that was yucky. sometimes though you would HAVE to test the raw product though, so I would do so but its not something I consider fun.

I used to make jelly with my grandmother. I wasn't a fan of jelly and that shit was hot coming out the pan so.....no to that too.

Also a no was pies because I maybe liked 3 pies (none of that chunky fruit shit either...blech....:sick: ) which is mostly to do with texture. And y'all already know I'm not the biggest ice cream fan either, though I will make it for the dog and the husband.

I'm not a jam (jelly) lover but when mum would put that little bit on a saucer to see if it would set - yum
i loved that bit

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son loves raw cake batter, never had food poisoning yet from the eggs in it and he's 12.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL You made my day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results