shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have solar panels?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm obsessed!!!! We just got solar panels plus a battery and have been generating electricity like crazy. We fully powered ourselves yesterday and the day before and I'm obsessed with my Powerwall app.

Haha hubby rushed home from work yesterday and the first thing we did was have a cup of tea and discussed our energy generation and consumption :lol:

Today we disconnected ourselves from the grid to check that if there's a zombie apocalypse we can still limp along on our battery until the zombies kill us!

Just wondering if there are any energy nerds on here?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Not yet but it's something we hope to get eventually! My aunt and uncle did get some just a little bit ago. I'm not sure if theirs are working just yet. Last I checked they still needed an inspection. But we are so excited for them!!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
This is a topic I know little about, but want to know more. Thanks for posting.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats -- that is super-cool!

We looked into this. For our climate and energy pricing and roof orientation, our "break-even" point was like 30 years. We check every few years but it has never come close to being cost-effective.

EDIT: But it apparently is for a few of our neighbors

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh just thought I'd include a few more stats.

So based on our system, we should offset all the carbon used to make the panels and the battery in 3-4 years.

The financial side is a bit trickier as it depends on how much you use normally and energy prices. We pretty much spent our lives in the cold and dark in winter (the doggo is the only person allowed a heater) or sweltering in summer (we only turned on aircon if the doggo needed it) so this is letting us consume energy in a more "normal" manner. We should break even in 8 years and if the battery lasts 10-12 years we will hit the green energy promise land!

We generated 26.9kwh of electricity today!!!!! And counting!!!! And it's a half cloudy day!!!! Am currently selling to the grid as per the picture because the battery is full.

The battery is 13kwh and we will use it tonight when the sun sets. We usually have 30% of it left by the morning.

It's super weird retraining everyone to let them know they can have heaters and leave lights on!!!

Screenshot_20230808-144906.png

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Still ambivalent verging on regret. We average about 1/3 our total usage despite a sizeable array.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer, is it cloudy where you are?

The nerd in me wants to beg you for your stats but I will calm down :lol-2:

It is definitely cloudy :lol:.

We live in the mountains of western Washington state. Definite clouds and our trees need trimmed down to size a bit. We have slightly over a 10kW system on the roof using the Panasonic panels with micro inverters. No batteries at this time as it would have doubled the already high price of the system and just been too big in the garage. Electric company does a net billing of sorts so it isn't wasted exactly, but not a help when the power goes out.

DH and I were talking earlier today that there may be something either wrong or badly inefficient and not suited to the overcast area we live in. A woman a couple of miles down the road has a system half the size and produces enough for her entire house plus an electric car. I mean, we are almost exclusively electric here. No natural gas to the house. No good place to install a big propane tank. We do have a heat pump and new appliances plus use a wood stove to supplement heat on the cold days.

I just had hoped to be more wowed by something that cost as much as that beautiful pair of diamond and sapphire earrings I drooled over :oops2:

llamacat

Rough_Rock
We've had solar panels since 2009. They do make a difference in the electricity bill. For a few years we were earning income from it as the amount we were feeding back into the grid was more than our usage.
No battery though.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had solar panels since 2009. They do make a difference in the electricity bill. For a few years we were earning income from it as the amount we were feeding back into the grid was more than our usage.
No battery though.

Do you have the same panels??? I'm really hoping they'll last for a long time!!!

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Yes we have solar, we’ve just upgraded them after 7 years and added more as they are so good!
We are working towards having a 9 star energy rating home.
Good for the environment!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm obsessed!!!! We just got solar panels plus a battery and have been generating electricity like crazy. We fully powered ourselves yesterday and the day before and I'm obsessed with my Powerwall app.

Haha hubby rushed home from work yesterday and the first thing we did was have a cup of tea and discussed our energy generation and consumption :lol:

Today we disconnected ourselves from the grid to check that if there's a zombie apocalypse we can still limp along on our battery until the zombies kill us!

Just wondering if there are any energy nerds on here?

thats so cool
my workmate's hubbie brought a hot tub and a solar panel, its rigged up so if the power goes off the freezer, fridge and his work computer stays on - he works from home

llamacat

Rough_Rock
Do you have the same panels??? I'm really hoping they'll last for a long time!!!

We moved out of that house that we put panels on in 2009 and sold it last year and everything was working still. Yes they were the same panels. No maintenance issues ever in the time we owned it. It was a 1.5kw system as the house was small.

Our current house also has solar panels, newer ones from 2017 and they are more efficient than the ones on the old house. Our current house is bigger and now with kids, we also use more electricity. The current system is 3kw I think.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the US and my state in particular has really been going through it over solar energy since 2017 or so. The big power companies are determined not to let customers see a return on their solar panel investment, or at least new customers. We have fields full of solar panels but when it comes to individuals installing them on private property, there is no way to predict year to year what they’ll be subsidized so therefore they won’t be able to determine whether it’s a positive investment or not.

I got into all of this not because I had solar panels but because back in 2017 I was contracted with a company that did both plumbing and solar panel installation. I was writing blogs for both their websites so had to do some research on the bill that was introduced and then passed into law later, and the basic spin of the net metering blog was to persuade customers to get their solar panels purchased and installed before the law limiting net metering went into effect.

Like @TooPatient, people who weren’t grandfathered in may not see a ROI and this is dissuading potential customers from installing solar panels. If there’s no incentive, what’s the point in spending the money? You may or may not save on your energy bill. Someone may or may not consider your panels a value add when they look at buying your home. It’s all a shit show now.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the US and my state in particular has really been going through it over solar energy since 2017 or so. The big power companies are determined not to let customers see a return on their solar panel investment, or at least new customers. We have fields full of solar panels but when it comes to individuals installing them on private property, there is no way to predict year to year what they’ll be subsidized so therefore they won’t be able to determine whether it’s a positive investment or not.

I got into all of this not because I had solar panels but because back in 2017 I was contracted with a company that did both plumbing and solar panel installation. I was writing blogs for both their websites so had to do some research on the bill that was introduced and then passed into law later, and the basic spin of the net metering blog was to persuade customers to get their solar panels purchased and installed before the law limiting net metering went into effect.

Like @TooPatient, people who weren’t grandfathered in may not see a ROI and this is dissuading potential customers from installing solar panels. If there’s no incentive, what’s the point in spending the money? You may or may not save on your energy bill. Someone may or may not consider your panels a value add when they look at buying your home. It’s all a shit show now.

Exactly. We are lucky that our electric company credits our account for any amount produced. That only covers up to the amount we use though so anything we make in excess of what we use is just gifted to them. (A bit more complicated as there is some sort of roll over and things, but that is the gist.) We only ever produce enough to offset about 1/3 of the usage so that part doesn't matter too much to.us but I know it upset those who thought they could get a bigger system for when they get an electric car or whatever in the future. We would need about $75,000 more (assuming same rate as previous batch) just to make enough on average for our normal use. That is without even getting into batteries to cover in case of power outage....

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve had solar for about a year now, got a Tesla battery. In the beginning DH was checking the app all the time and boring me to death with how much power we were generating, how much we were selling back to the grid etc. He doesn’t do it as much now, because our power usage has gone up since we got the pool. We still generate a fair amount of our usage, but when it’s over 100 degrees everyday for several months, the a/c is on a LOT.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We've had solar for a couple of years and with soaring energy prices it has definitely made a difference, we have a 6.5kW system and in the summer we generate up to 70kwH per day. Try to do all our washing and energy usage in daylight hours to use the solar and anything we don't use is sent to the grid where we get credited on our bill.

One thing I learnt is the inverter and it's efficiency is very important, my neighbours have the same size system setup on the same side of their roof and I get a full kWH more of generation than they do thanks to my inverter being a lot more efficient.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly. We are lucky that our electric company credits our account for any amount produced. That only covers up to the amount we use though so anything we make in excess of what we use is just gifted to them. (A bit more complicated as there is some sort of roll over and things, but that is the gist.) We only ever produce enough to offset about 1/3 of the usage so that part doesn't matter too much to.us but I know it upset those who thought they could get a bigger system for when they get an electric car or whatever in the future. We would need about $75,000 more (assuming same rate as previous batch) just to make enough on average for our normal use. That is without even getting into batteries to cover in case of power outage....

gee
i thought this was a given that surplus would go to the grid and would be credited
but im not in the US

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gee
i thought this was a given that surplus would go to the grid and would be credited
but im not in the US

Daisy some places in Australia will pay you up to a certain amount but if you sell too much energy back to the grid, they will give you negative rates and actually charge you for feeding them too much electricity!!!!! So must check the fine print.

Lol I made a grand total of 95c yesterday selling 12.5 kwh to the grid!

But it is very feel good to know that we have generated all of our own electricity in the last few days.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Congrats -- that is super-cool!

We looked into this. For our climate and energy pricing and roof orientation, our "break-even" point was like 30 years. We check every few years but it has never come close to being cost-effective.

EDIT: But it apparently is for a few of our neighbors

We number crunched , and that was our take also. And if you sell your house you can’t take them with you. Lol.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
We get credited for any electricity going back to the grid, but the electric company pays us less per unit than they charge us @Daisys and Diamonds

Are you in TX by chance? Their energy situation is SO weird. Having all different power companies to pick from versus it being one entity.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we are @Mreader. We didn’t get a choice of provider in our area.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having them fitted to our new garage block a week on Monday. They will hopefully power the car chargers in their entirety during the summer months, but there is a battery going in to store surplus & divert back to the house.

I shall report back in a few months with efficiency etc.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having them fitted to our new garage block a week on Monday. They will hopefully power the car chargers in their entirety during the summer months, but there is a battery going in to store surplus & divert back to the house.

I shall report back in a few months with efficiency etc.

Oooh please share what system you have if you don’t mind.

I need to test on a few more cloudy days but so far we are generating 20kwh on very poor and cloudy winter days.

We have an EV on order and I am just twitching every time we have to fuel up. I waaaaaaant my EV! The car is on its last legs so that’s why we went the whole hog with solar, EV etc.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went solar in June after our new roof was installed (thanks Hurricane Ian!). Kinda surprised we don’t see more residential solar in SWFL, tbh …

The solar system (believe it’s an IQ or IQPlus8 ) was designed & sized to produce ~110% of our usage because we’re also having a pool built this fall. Rather than get batteries, we got a smart switch so we can leverage daytime solar if the grid goes down, which is fine for our needs. The cost of batteries for now just didn’t make sense for us. Our meter finally got switched out by the utility company in late July, so will probably be another 2-3 weeks until we see or first real ‘new’ utility bill … which should be <$15 for taxes/fees.

I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere, but as best as I can explain our set-up: the energy we produce goes to the utility company, and we basically get a 1:1 “credit” to use any amount of energy we produce/send. Any extra energy we produced is like “rollover energy” to use later in the month/year, or can be sold back to the utility at the end of the year. And if we produce a little shy of our demand/need, we pay for that.

Attaching a screenshot of one tab from our Enphase app … that was live at the time/date in the upper left corner. You can always tell when that heavy afternoon cloud cover rolls through during rainy season. :D

Attachments

• IMG_6783.png
    IMG_6783.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results