shape
carat
color
clarity

Does an engagement ring have to be worn on the left hand ring finger?

danusia

Rough_Rock
Long Story Short: I had an injury to my left shoulder that left my entire left arm and hand swollen with nerve damage into my hand over 2 years ago. Most of the swelling and nerve problems have dissipated, but my knuckles are still a bit enlarged. At this point I don't know if they will ever be what they used to be. Therefore, I have been unable to wear my engagement ring and wedding band. I have not spoken to a jeweler yet, but was considering wearing my rings on my right hand; more specifically my engagement ring if it can be stretched a little. I would possibly then get a new diamond band to wear on my left hand . Is it in poor taste to wear an engagement ring on my hand hand or even a different finger than the ring finger?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Long Story Short: I had an injury to my left shoulder that left my entire left arm and hand swollen with nerve damage into my hand over 2 years ago. Most of the swelling and nerve problems have dissipated, but my knuckles are still a bit enlarged. At this point I don't know if they will ever be what they used to be. Therefore, I have been unable to wear my engagement ring and wedding band. I have not spoken to a jeweler yet, but was considering wearing my rings on my right hand; more specifically my engagement ring if it can be stretched a little. I would possibly then get a new diamond band to wear on my left hand . Is it in poor taste to wear an engagement ring on my hand hand or even a different finger than the ring finger?

I’m so sorry you had such a bad injury to your hand and arm.
I think you have a wonderful idea to wear your engagement ring on your right hand. A new wedding band on your left hand will be perfect. After a period of time, if you would like to, you can resize your engagement ring to go back to your left hand. Many people wear their engagement rings on their right hand.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, get well soon @danusia

It’s definitely ok! I’m not sure where in the world you live, but I have Spanish and Polish girlfriends who wear their wedding set on the right hand, as it is customary in their home lands. I personally wear my wedding ring on my right hand and a solitaire on my left hand (I live in the UK)

danusia

Rough_Rock
Hello, get well soon @danusia

It’s definitely ok! I’m not sure where in the world you live, but I have Spanish and Polish girlfriends who wear their wedding set on the right hand, as it is customary in their home lands. I personally wear my wedding ring on my right hand and a solitaire on my left hand (I live in the UK)

TY RosieR. I am in the US and last week when I went to DH's company event I saw several women wearing their ER on their right hands. Never ever thought to do that before. I did not ask any of them why they wore the rings on their right hands.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TY RosieR. I am in the US and last week when I went to DH's company event I saw several women wearing their ER on their right hands. Never ever thought to do that before. I did not ask any of them why they wore the rings on their right hands.

Sometimes if you have a prong set diamond eternity ring as a wedding band, the exposed diamond girdles can rub on the prongs of a solitaire and damage it.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your injury @danusia. Some injuries take a looooong time to heal. All the best to you.

I also have some European friends who wear their engagement/ wedding rings on their right hand. In your situation, I would do whatever was easiest and whatever suits. Personally, I don’t think think there should be any “rules” about what hand one wears their rings on. There are only conventions, which one can adhere to or not.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@danusia ouch
i hope all is healing

i always think all my 10 fingers and hands belong to me to do as i wish
No one else

I can do what i want with them
im not engaged or married but why should i waste good real estate on my left hand (only my SiL ever commented)

Your fingers are yours

you can do exactly what you want !

Its sad to think you arn't wearing your wedding set
Do what you need to, to be able to wear them again

Also im one of those people who have trouble telling left and right apart

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think its in poor taste at all...you've got to do what works for you! What would be the difference between having your ering
stretched to fit your left ring finger vs buying a new band for your left-hand ring finger? Just trying to understand all the issues
with your left hand to see if there might be other options.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does an engagement ring have to be worn on the left hand ring finger?
It depends.
Conforming to your culture comes with its pros and cons.

To some conformity is important or even mandatory ... no matter what.
To others, who live more for themselves and less for others, not so much.
People vary so it's impossible for anyone to answer your "have to" question for you.

In some circles non conformity on this issue will lead to assumptions that you're single, raise eyebrows and get side-eyes.
Be prepared for that and questions that are awkward for you and for the asker.
Also, some men will see that naked finger and show you more attention than you want.
I'm certainly not defending those men; I'm just mentioning what to be prepared for.

Growing up gay in the 1950s in a Christian midwest community wired me to be a strong non-conformist.
I live in So. California a desert) and I'm very much at peace being the only house in the neighborhood that doesn't waste water keeping a green lawn.
But I understand that not everyone can (rather, is willing to) just flip a switch and be comfortable going against their culture.

I wish you the best in living at peace with your decision.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who wears an engagement necklace because she can’t wear rings.
i don’t think it matters to anyone except you.
plenty of happily married people choose not to wear rings and people who aren’t engaged or married can and do wear rings on their left hand ring finger if they feel like it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your arm and fingers are back to normal soon @danusia. I would absolutely wear my rings on my other hand and it would never enter my mind that it was in poor taste. I wouldn’t even think twice about moving my rings to my right hand. Enjoy wearing your wedding rings!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries - do what works best for you!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you can wear your ring any way you want. Jewelry traditions are fun, but they are not required.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@danusia have you been experimenting wearing your ring on the other hand yet ? =)2

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry for your injury. But yes, why not. My husband wear his wedding band and an engagement band I bought him on his right hand. This is because the wedding ring is too large (oops my mistake) and he refuses to let a jeweler resize it.
Also in Asia I believe women wear their rings on the right and men on their left.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry for your injury. But yes, why not. My husband wear his wedding band and an engagement band I bought him on his right hand. This is because the wedding ring is too large (oops my mistake) and he refuses to let a jeweler resize it.
Also in Asia I believe women wear their rings on the right and men on their left.

An engagement band for a man
i love this :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not. Wear it on the hand and finger you are comfortable wearing it on and pay no mind to "rules" and such. I wore an ER on my right hand for ages and now I wear it on my left hand but without a band. I don't care for "rules" or even traditions. I do what works for me and that's what makes me happy.

You do you and don't worry about what others think. Because what they think doesn't matter.

dowhatmakesyouhappy .jpg

I am so sorry about your injury and hope healing continues towards your full recovery.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that you would not be completely at ease wearing your e-ring on your right hand. If you were then my I don't think you would have asked us about it.

Therefore, maybe you'd be happier to look into a hinged setting on your e-ring so it will fit in spite of the enlarged knuckle. Good luck with it. :)

danusia

Rough_Rock
I dont think its in poor taste at all...you've got to do what works for you! What would be the difference between having your ering
stretched to fit your left ring finger vs buying a new band for your left-hand ring finger? Just trying to understand all the issues
with your left hand to see if there might be other options.

I think that if I get the ring stretched to fit my right finger, if the left finger ever goes back to its original size I could just use an insert to wear on my left hand again if I wanted to.

danusia

Rough_Rock
My guess is that you would not be completely at ease wearing your e-ring on your right hand. If you were then my I don't think you would have asked us about it.

Therefore, maybe you'd be happier to look into a hinged setting on your e-ring so it will fit in spite of the enlarged knuckle. Good luck with it. :)

Yes, exactly what you wrote. I am not sure I would really want to wear the ring on my right hand. I haven't been able to wear my watch on my left wrist as well and haven't worn it on my right wrist.

danusia

Rough_Rock
Absolutely not. Wear it on the hand and finger you are comfortable wearing it on and pay no mind to "rules" and such. I wore an ER on my right hand for ages and now I wear it on my left hand but without a band. I don't care for "rules" or even traditions. I do what works for me and that's what makes me happy.

You do you and don't worry about what others think. Because what they think doesn't matter.

dowhatmakesyouhappy .jpg

I am so sorry about your injury and hope healing continues towards your full recovery.

I just want to be able to wear my rings again, preferably on my left hand, but if that is not an option then on my right hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results