shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your kids wear any kind of identification?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been thinking about it, and it''s kind of a pro vs. con thing.

On the one hand, if I get my daughter an ID bracelet with her name, address and my phone number, it could be used in case she was ever lost. That''s a plus.

On the other hand, the information could fall into the wrong hands, and that''s scary.

She''s very young and not able to say her name or any personal information yet. What do you think?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I do not let JT wear anything with his name on it, let alone his phone number. I''m in the camp of "it can be dangerous."

However, I do carry an id card in my purse for him in case he and I get separated.

Until he was able to say his name and our names, he wasn''t allowed to let go of my hand in public. Obviously I still keep him within sight, but I''m a bit more comfortable knowing that he can at least tell someone who he is. I do not let him go places with other people and won''t until he can say his phone number and other info.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
When I was little, whenever I went out with my father he would always put his business card in my pocket or in my shoe in case we somehow got separated or I got lost. I knew if I ever couldn''t find him I should go to a policeman (or some other authority figure - if it were in a store, go over to one of the managers/cashiers or someone "in charge" and tell them I was lost and give them the business card). I never wore anything with my own name/address/phone number on it - I only had the card with his information.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Growing up in CA, all the kids had ID bracelets. We got to pick a fun graphic to be on one side (I think mine had hearts) and the other had our name, address and phone number. Not sure if I''ll do the same for my future kids.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always had to wear medical alert jewelry as a kid. It had my name, information about my severe strawberry allergy, my parents names and contact information. Thank goodness we never had to use it, but I do see how that information could lead to harm if the wrong person got at it.

Most of us wear our medical alert jewelry as a necklace under our shirt, though. Someone would have to be very close to get a look at it.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
My only concern would be in revealing your daughter's name to possible undesirables.

Children tend to be reassured if a stranger knows their name so to exclude that information may be an idea. I'm thinking of weirdos saying "oh Emma, I just remembered, your mom had to run an errand and she asked me to pick you up and take you home"

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:33:34 PM
Author: Steal
My only concern would be in revealing your daughter''s name to possible undesirables.

Children tend to be reassured if a stranger knows their name so to exclude that information may be an idea. I''m thinking of weirdos saying ''oh Emma, I just remembered, your mom had to run an errand down and she asked me to pick you up and take you home''

That''s true. I was thinking maybe something with my info on it... but even then it''s kind of risky.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We taught my little brother a song that included his name, address, phone number and my mother''s name. Luckily he never had to use it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My only concern would be in revealing your daughter''s name to possible undesirables.

Children tend to be reassured if a stranger knows their name so to exclude that information may be an idea. I''m thinking of weirdos saying ''oh Emma, I just remembered, your mom had to run an errand and she asked me to pick you up and take you home''

BIG ditto. This is also why I had a "password" as a child, and JT does now. He knows he''s not even supposed to get in a car with Nana if she doesn''t tell him the "password" when I''m not around.

My "password" was "horsefeathers." It was silly so I remembered it but obviously it''s not a word in normal conversation.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I like the safety word idea.

"BARNACLES!"

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:37:01 PM
Author: somethingshiny

BIG ditto. This is also why I had a ''password'' as a child, and JT does now. He knows he''s not even supposed to get in a car with Nana if she doesn''t tell him the ''password'' when I''m not around.

My ''password'' was ''horsefeathers.'' It was silly so I remembered it but obviously it''s not a word in normal conversation.
We also used the password method, even if it was a relative picking me up. They changed, but usually had to do with food, LOL. Blueberry Pancakes and the like.
9.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:35:12 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

My only concern would be in revealing your daughter's name to possible undesirables.

Children tend to be reassured if a stranger knows their name so to exclude that information may be an idea. I'm thinking of weirdos saying 'oh Emma, I just remembered, your mom had to run an errand down and she asked me to pick you up and take you home'

That's true. I was thinking maybe something with my info on it... but even then it's kind of risky.
And you could just have My mummy's mobile number is: XXXXXXXX. That seems ok.

I can't see any other issues and I'm sure she knows who is appropriate to go to for help if she gets lost, so having your contact number is a great idea.

I'm a sap at the moment so I think it is so adorable that you are making sure she is always ok; not that I think that you wouldn't do it anyway. Good Mommy.

ETA: Also loving the password idea. Extra loving that it be food
18.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute. It's 2010. Why are you people not microchipping your children!? This must exist!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:51:35 PM
Date: 3/5/2010 3:35:12 PM

Children tend to be reassured if a stranger knows their name so to exclude that information may be an idea. I''m thinking of weirdos saying ''oh Emma, I just remembered, your mom had to run an errand down and she asked me to pick you up and take you home''

That''s true. I was thinking maybe something with my info on it... but even then it''s kind of risky.

And you could just have My mummy''s mobile number is: XXXXXXXX. That seems ok.

I can''t see any other issues and I''m sure she knows who is appropriate to go to for help if she gets lost, so having your contact number is a great idea.

I''m a sap at the moment so I think it is so adorable that you are making sure she is always ok; not that I think that you wouldn''t do it anyway. Good Mommy.

Aw, that''s nice. My daughter is my everything.
1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:51:57 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Wait a minute. It''s 2010. Why are you people not microchipping your children!? This must exist!

I think you can have this done for pets? Maybe?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:46:47 PM
I like the safety word idea.

''BARNACLES!''

oops... password, rather. That sounded kind of bad haha

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2010 4:07:40 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
My kids wore a metal bracelet with name, address and telephone number. I think I may still have my youngest''s bracelet. We used to be able to order them through the elementary school. On the outside it had a design and the underside was the id info. It looked sort of like an emergency medical bracelet.
Having the info on the underside of the bracelet sounds safe enough. I''ve always wondered about ID bracelets myself so this is a great thread for me to follow.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How old is your daughter? My kids don''t have indentification, but from a very young age, I would say my phone number over and over to them while driving around in the car and as a result, they have that memorized. Only problem now is I''m stuck with that number for life. lol
37.gif

Anyway, we all had those indentification bracelets as kids and I think if you''re considering getting her one, it''d be a great idea!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 5:14:39 PM
Author: MC
How old is your daughter? My kids don''t have indentification, but from a very young age, I would say my phone number over and over to them while driving around in the car and as a result, they have that memorized. Only problem now is I''m stuck with that number for life. lol
37.gif

Anyway, we all had those indentification bracelets as kids and I think if you''re considering getting her one, it''d be a great idea!

She is not quite 2 yet. The reason I''m asking as well, when she starts preschool I really want to make sure I''m doing everything I can to make sure she''s safe. I know that the chance of something ever happening is next to nothing, but kids do go missing all the time. She''s extremely friendly and social. She will reach out to strangers and try to play with their earrings and glasses! She waves hello to everyone we see. I don''t want to teach her to be afraid, but rather to be aware. I think I''ll look into the ID bracelet, but try to keep the personal info to a minimum...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 5:21:46 PM

She is not quite 2 yet. The reason I''m asking as well, when she starts preschool I really want to make sure I''m doing everything I can to make sure she''s safe. I know that the chance of something ever happening is next to nothing, but kids do go missing all the time. She''s extremely friendly and social. She will reach out to strangers and try to play with their earrings and glasses! She waves hello to everyone we see. I don''t want to teach her to be afraid, but rather to be aware. I think I''ll look into the ID bracelet, but try to keep the personal info to a minimum...
Have you picked out a preschool yet? Usually, they''re super careful about who can pick your child up. All of them have a monitoring system of some sort. The school my kids went to had a little bell (light sound, not obnoxious) that rang when anyone came in and a person came to check who walked in. Once I picked up a friend''s child who went to another preschool. The mom had called and told the teacher I''d be picking her kid up. The teacher asked for my ID before I could even talk to the girl.

I''d say you''re safe in that regard unless she''s at a school that takes the kids to parks, etc., on a regular basis. Be sure that the one you choose (if you''re planning to keep your daughter there till she starts kindergarten) does NOT take the kids out places, except say ONE field trip *per year*. There is the YMCA by us that takes the kids all over the place and the "teachers" aka 20 year olds text message and ignore the kids.
14.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute. It''s 2010. Why are you people not microchipping your children!? This must exist!
My grandma told me that sometime near in the future we''ll all be microchiped and that will be "the mark of the beast." 666 lol!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 6:38:03 PM
Author: MC
Date: 3/5/2010 5:21:46 PM

Have you picked out a preschool yet? Usually, they''re super careful about who can pick your child up. All of them have a monitoring system of some sort. The school my kids went to had a little bell (light sound, not obnoxious) that rang when anyone came in and a person came to check who walked in. Once I picked up a friend''s child who went to another preschool. The mom had called and told the teacher I''d be picking her kid up. The teacher asked for my ID before I could even talk to the girl.

I''d say you''re safe in that regard unless she''s at a school that takes the kids to parks, etc., on a regular basis. Be sure that the one you choose (if you''re planning to keep your daughter there till she starts kindergarten) does NOT take the kids out places, except say ONE field trip *per year*. There is the YMCA by us that takes the kids all over the place and the ''teachers'' aka 20 year olds text message and ignore the kids.
14.gif

Yes, I have. I went there too and my mother works nearby, definitely a plus!

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Wait a minute. It's 2010. Why are you people not microchipping your children!? This must exist!
Yes, they do exist..... quite common among co-workers kids.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an ID bracelet when I was little! Must have been an 80s thing. I still have it.

I kinda agree about not putting my kid''s name on anything obvious. I always thought those decals with the little people and their names under them were so stupid. In my mind they are perfect bait for bad guys. My DH says I am paranoid until we saw a Dexter episode where the bad guy found out the kid''s name like that. Guess I am not the only one who''s mind works that way!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 8:00:10 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I had an ID bracelet when I was little! Must have been an 80s thing. I still have it.

I kinda agree about not putting my kid''s name on anything obvious. I always thought those decals with the little people and their names under them were so stupid. In my mind they are perfect bait for bad guys. My DH says I am paranoid until we saw a Dexter episode where the bad guy found out the kid''s name like that. Guess I am not the only one who''s mind works that way!

Of course being me, I am looking at a bracelet which would be stamped. 14k white gold. Maybe I''m just LOOKING for an excuse to burn money!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 8:03:18 PM

Of course being me, I am looking at a bracelet which would be stamped. 14k white gold. Maybe I''m just LOOKING for an excuse to burn money!

Haha. Not sure what metal mine was. Stainless maybe? My mom ordered them through our school. Like SDL mentioned it has a design on the front and the info is underneath.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I also had a song when I was a kid:

"My name is **** *** and this is my address..." etc. I still remember it.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 1:19:41 PM
Author: ladypirate
I also had a song when I was a kid:

''My name is **** *** and this is my address...'' etc. I still remember it.

That would probably be easier on my wallet, eh?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the password idea. I''d like to put some kind of tracker in them so I could push a button and locate them if they went missing.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, I never thought about that! And my mind usually works that way also!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results