shape
carat
color
clarity

Do your friends and family know about your love of diamonds/jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if I''m the only one who hides it like it''s a dirty little secret.
3.gif

Most of the people in my family/social circle are very down-to-earth, Old Navy/REI, Subaru-driving people who are practical and fairly frugal in all things, whether it''s restaurants, cars, or vacations. I feel uncomfortable (and kinda embarrassed) wearing my diamond around them and so I usually end up leaving it in the jewelry box when we''re out socializing. They have NO idea how much I love diamonds/jewelry and would definitely not understand why I''m on PS so much. They''d probably think I''m some kind of materialistic princess. Not even my very best friends know about my little obssession. I thank my lucky stars that PS is here so I can commune with like-minded souls.
1.gif

Anyone else keep their diamond lust on the down-low?
2.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe I know exactly what you mean!!!! I finally told my best friend about PS a couple of weeks ago but it was a really nerve wracking confession to make!
20.gif
I just emphasized the LIWs and the community aspects and said things like, "Well I mean TECHNICALLY it''s supposed to be a diamond forum but that''s not really why I spend time there..."
9.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 3:27:15 PM
Author: albicocca
Hehehe I know exactly what you mean!!!! I finally told my best friend about PS a couple of weeks ago but it was a really nerve wracking confession to make!
20.gif
I just emphasized the LIWs and the community aspects and said things like, 'Well I mean TECHNICALLY it's supposed to be a diamond forum but that's not really why I spend time there...'
9.gif
Sureeeeee albi!
3.gif
Actually, that's a huge part of why I keep coming back is the community aspect...I try to hide my love for jewelry from people though the last thing I want people in general to think is that I'm materialistic or something when in reality, I just really appreciate looking at diamonds! My fiance can't understand why I'm more interested in the ring advertisements in bridal magazines than the actual wedding stuff
31.gif
at first, he used to get all upset but it was because he thought I was always going to want to upgrade or change my ring which is totally untrue...I just am obsessed with jewelry in general!
9.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone who knows me knows about my obsession.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, people I know have known since I was a little girl that I have an obsession. My friends are completely uninterested every time I tell them about PS...a lot of them shop at Zales though, hee hee.
2.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
You''re right about the community aspect of PS that is what keeps us here. Most of my friends like diamond jewelry, but don''t understand why I would want to learn so much about the technical stuff. A good number of my friends want diamond pieces at a certain carat weight and think that they''ll get a fine piece by shopping high end retail i.e. Tiffs, Cartier and the like.
The women in my family don''t wear any jewelry at all and would rather spend their money on a luxury car, their house, designer purses, or clothes. They don''t understand why I wouldn''t just go to the jewelry mart or diamond district and just shop in person for diamonds.
This e-tail thing for luxury items is just too foreign to my family.

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
This is a new obsession for me, but I have to admit I am obsessed. I grew up in poverty pretty much.So I am embarrassed to show my ring to friends I grew up with, moreless say anything about PS. My mother basicly disowned me after I got my ruby birthstone ring for my B-day,which was only $300. She said when I look at my ring, think about my her and my brothers bald tires on their van.
Well if she saw my new set, She would say I have the whole van on my finger. But I will not feel guilty for finding my prince who has given me love and security. Besides I am the baby of the family. I dont think I should be asked to fix my familys problems,not that I havent in the past, but realized it would never be enough. So I guess my family has called me materialistic enough, That I would be afraid to mention my obsession to anyone so they wont think the same thing.
20.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 3:54:53 PM
Author: jokerselsa
This is a new obsession for me, but I have to admit I am obsessed. I grew up in poverty pretty much.So I am embarrassed to show my ring to friends I grew up with, moreless say anything about PS. My mother basicly disowned me after I got my ruby birthstone ring for my B-day,which was only $300. She said when I look at my ring, think about my her and my brothers bald tires on their van.
Well if she saw my new set, She would say I have the whole van on my finger. But I will not feel guilty for finding my prince who has given me love and security. Besides I am the baby of the family. I dont think I should be asked to fix my familys problems,not that I havent in the past, but realized it would never be enough. So I guess my family has called me materialistic enough, That I would be afraid to mention my obsession to anyone so they wont think the same thing.
20.gif
Your story reminded me of the movie, Million Dollar Baby! Don''t feel bad that your "Prince" loves you and wants to pamper you! My mom has a few siblings that are like that, and she feels guilty every time she does something for herself, even when she spent a couple $K on dental work! Some people just feel like they''re owed something for some reason...but you can only do so much!

My friends and family know that I love diamonds, and most of them could care less and just don''t get it. I have one friend who keeps making comments about how my husband and I just blew all of our money on rings and motorcycles! We''ve waited over 14 yrs to get the ring and bike, and I refuse (or try not) to feel guilty about it!! We didn''t go into debt to do it...so what''s the problem??

I finally ended up telling her not to worry about us blowing our money, and that we still have lots of money left in the bank!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, everybody knows about it. The subject of many jokes...till they want some advice themselves.
27.gif
Now who''s laughing?
2.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My family knows I''m obsessed. My friends know I LIKE jewelry but not to what extent. I try to keep it a bit quiet because most of them really wouldn''t get it.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I can definitely relate, I try to keep as quiet as possible about the amount of time I spend on PS/researching diamonds. Not because I am ashamed or anything, I just know they wouldn''t understand..
20.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i think they think i wouldn''t turn it down, but not that i LOVE LOVE LOVE diamonds/jewelry.

funny thing (sorta sad really) - i find myself pretending not to know about diamonds to co-workers. they''d think i''m nuts. they thought i was wierd that i wanted a US cleaner for my b-day, so you can be sure i didn''t tell them that i clean my ring EVERY day!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
My friends and family know to some extent, but not quite HOW bad I am... I can''t wait to get out of med school and make some money so I can actually BUY more diamonds though
3.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
They know a little about it. Even my 2 ctw ering (1.2 center) seems large for many in my family. I do wear it, stud earrings and a rhr when I''m around them. They just plain don''t get it. My addiction comes from my paternal grandmother.

I have some friends with large rings and some with small rings. Some get it, some don''t. One friend in particular is just getting over a divorce and learning to be a single mom. She constantly gives me guilt trips about my lifestyle, jewelry and my sweet DH.

I am embarassed about HOW jewelry crazed I am. Hubby gets irritated when I just want more, more, more, more! I think flames shot out of his eyes this morning when I suggested an upgrade to 2 cts. I guess I should say that I just got an upgrade in October and pear studs (1.26 ctw) for Xmas.
11.gif
He thinks PS is a bad influence! I just laugh and say, but, look at how much I''ve learned. I can now talk shop with my uncle who has been a jeweler for 20 years.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
miranda- just remind him how much money PS has saved you two!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 5:44:28 PM
Author: jcrow
miranda- just remind him how much money PS has saved you two!
Like when I go shopping and find things on sale..."Guess what, My Love, I saved you soooo much money today!"

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes and they think I am crazy!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, and like Tacori, they think I am nuts....until they need advice.
2.gif
I have saved several family members from buying frozen spit.
1.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
close family knows I''m obsessed with diamonds, friends just know I really like jewelry. None of them understand why!! I too don''t want to be seen as materialistic because I''m not. I just appreciate really nice diamonds and colored gems!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Some of my friends and family know that I research myself about diamonds and that I enjoy them, however they don't know to what degree. No one, except my FI, knows about PS. I don't want to tell them the extent of my obsession b/c they already think I'm crazy with the limited information that they do know. Some of my friends though I was psycho the minute I took out the idealscope. But as Pebbles said, they think I'm nuts untill they need diamond advice.

My dad is particularly puzzled by this "diamond-mania" that came over me b/c I was never into jewelry and would always decline when my parents offered to buy it for me. However to him, once I got my e-ring I went into a dimand frenzy and that is all I think about and want now. He doesn't see it as a hobby like I do. He has the stock market as his obsession and I have the diamond market.
9.gif

I'm just glad that my FI puts up with my craziness
36.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no one knows except DH. It''s not that I am ashamed or embarrassed or worried that they might think I am materialistic. I just don''t think anyone have the same interest or knowledge to care about diamonds the way that PSers do. I think maybe when more of our friends are thinking about marriage, then they might want to learn more. But in the meantime, I have PS.

I agree that PS is a great community - very helpful and supportive. I love PS & fellow PSers.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My co-workers are well aware, lol. They call my bling. Most of them get jewelry for Christmas so I have now ensnared them in the love of jewelry and diamonds.

Some of my family is aware, there are a few I keep it from as they would think I am materialistic and think if I can afford diamonds I can afford to make their car payment, no thanks.

My hubby is all too aware. He says why do you need so much you can only wear so much jewelry at once. I tell him and you can only shoot one of the 32 guns you have at one time. He shuts up then.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think my friends and family know that I am into my "things," which includes jewelry/diamonds. Only FI and one of my really good friends knows about PS. If they did, I wouldn''t care, it is not like I am embarassed by it, it is my own little hobby. Everyone should have things that they enjoy doing, and this is one of those things for me...

jokerselsa

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 7:37:53 AM
Author: autumngems
My co-workers are well aware, lol. They call my bling. Most of them get jewelry for Christmas so I have now ensnared them in the love of jewelry and diamonds.

Some of my family is aware, there are a few I keep it from as they would think I am materialistic and think if I can afford diamonds I can afford to make their car payment, no thanks.

My hubby is all too aware. He says why do you need so much you can only wear so much jewelry at once. I tell him and you can only shoot one of the 32 guns you have at one time. He shuts up then.
LOL.......Good one autumngem.
2.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
It''s a secret! Shhhh!

I''m very quiet and modest about most things...most of my friends know that I love my e-ring and am very fond of gemstones, but they don''t know how many hours a day I read this forum and look at diamond ****!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 10:18:04 AM
Author: Jelly
It''s a secret! Shhhh!

I''m very quiet and modest about most things...most of my friends know that I love my e-ring and am very fond of gemstones, but they don''t know how many hours a day I read this forum and look at diamond ****!
DIAMOND ****!!!!! I love it - I love it!! LOL LOL! How true is that.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Only my husband knows the true obsession, no one else does, although once I tried to tell someone at work about it and she just looked at me like, uhh, get a life, so I quickly stopped. A few people at work actually noticed some of my pendants, but I told them I was collecting them and that''s why I had so many different ones.

No one in my family knows or in my husband''s family. I actually turn my ring around sometimes or use my left hand less because I don''t want to draw attention.
8.gif

I don''t want them to think that I am spending all our money on jewelery, even though I got this ring 3 years ago.
39.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock

My family has always known about my obsession. It started at about 10/11 years old when my dad bought me my first piece of jewelry. (It drives my mom nuts, too. She and my father were looking at a 4ct princess cut, and although it was a great deal - the stone was blah. She just wants size... and having me around ruins the fun for her.)

Most friends know as well. I have one friend who is also into diamonds - and she and I have gone to Rodeo Dr. to play with the jewelry. We''ve gone everywhere; Neil Lane - Harry Winston - Frances Klein - Etc - just for fun. It''s nice to have a partner in crime!

One of my other friends is an amazing jewelry designer - and she is a blast to share my obsession with. I love looking at the new items she creates. And when I save some extra $$ - I am lucky to have her to help me bring my dream pieces to reality. She loves what she does so much.. And I love to share thoughts on the industry with her. It''s nice to have someone I can trust so completely.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
my family and friends have always known of my adoration for anything that sparkles--jewelry, glitter, rhinestones,etc. i used to say when i was young that my favorite color was "sparkle"!!! i decorated all my school notebooks with glitter, made Christmas ornaments with sequins and was the first one to get one of those "stud" things that you could add stones to jean jackets, jeans, etc. even my class ring had a prism under the main stone so it would catch rainbows in certain lights. i have always loved jewelry, watches, any adornments. so diamonds have been the perfect obsession for me...jewelry AND they sparkle!
DH cant understand my love of PS though...:)

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
All of my friends and colleagues know of my hobby/collection. Probably because I don''t wear jewelry, just give it away, I have not encountered any suggestions that I merit a "materialistic" label. My family is happy to receive what I buy/create, my colleagues solicit my advice on major purchases, and my staff enjoys seeing my new acquisitions and wants me to adopt them.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results