shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear necklaces?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear a necklace or a pendant nearly every day.
If I'm not wearing a necklace or pendant, then I'm probably wearing a scarf.
Sometimes I go wild and wear both.

I'm 30.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Black Jade|1314841997|3006979 said:
You should have asked us to put our age (at least in a general way) if you want to check if they are still in style, because what you really want to know is if younger women are wearing them.
I wear necklaces all the time--but I'm 54.
I love pearls particularly. I always did, even when they were really OUT in the seventies and eighties (at least until Princess Diana brought them back in, I still constantly wore pearls.
But then, I wear brooches, too. I am always going into antique shops and getting vintage brooches, and even dress clips (I bet no one on here knows what a dress clip is.)
I agree with the poster who said, jewelry depends on what we wear and goes really out of style when it doesn't go with the clothes of the moment. Think, flapper pearls and very low waisted dresses, 60's bellbottoms and love beads, etc. etc. Sometimes it goes out forever,w hich is why its good jewelry can be remade for different generations.
For the record, I don't wear the pearls that are stylish again nowadays, to some extent, usually among older women especially the very successful. The big South Seas and Tahitians. I wear the more traditional pearls, smaller and more discreet. I'm on the little side.
I do also wear pendants.
I'd love to see the torsade, it sounded wonderful.

Actually, the funny thing is that it isn't! I've noticed a general falling off among women of all ages, which as you and KittyGolightly pointed out, is in all likelihood attributable to the changing fashion ... I just keep staring at modern fashions and wondering what it is about them that's apparently discouraging a lot of people from wrapping things around their throats.

A lot, but not all, as this thread is proving - am very much enjoying hearing about people's preferences, and the philosophies behind them.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You know, I do rarely see many people wearing full-fledged necklaces, it's true. My mom wears them, I wear them, and my best friend wears them. But all three of us are in the "happily over dress for any occasion" category, and my BFF & I both tend to go all out with the dressing up frequently- what, you're not supposed to wear slinky vintage dresses, 3" heels and tons of jewelry every day? Say what? :rolleyes:

I wear a pretty seriously large Tahitian strand (something like 14-16mm), some smaller Tahitians, a pretty Edwardian platinum & diamond filigree bow with a pearl drop, and a few other goodies regularly. And chandelier earrings, too. Subtle is *not* my middle name!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my cross almost everyday.... if I have to dress up for business or going out I have a strand of mikimoto pearls.. I love....

IMG_0360.JPG

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear necklaces. I'm not sure I own any. Wait, wait, I own a purple plastic one, does that count?!

I don't know why I don't wear them. They would be easier to wear whilst baking a pie. Rings get in the way and I'm not sure my earrings are ever seen because of the length of my hair. I like to bake.

I own more brooches than necklaces. Not that I wear those either.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I love both necklaces and pendants but they're trickier to wear depending on the neckline of your top or dress. I wear v-necks mostly and pendants look strange with them so I don't wear pendants as often as necklaces. Even some necklaces are of a length that is tricky to wear with most of my clothes.

I see the tendency to make the big fashion statement with clothes - striking fabric patterns or an unusual cut - guess because clothes are cheaper and you can own more than one? Most women I know wear only fine jewelry so having more than one fashion statement piece of jewelry may be cost-prohibitive. Else they would be know as the woman with the ____________.

I'm small so my wardrobe is very conservative - mostly solids and few patterns. For me, a fashion statement is easier to pull off with a single distinctive piece of jewelry but I don't mind wearing costume so I have several.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of my daughter have nice freshwater (round) pearl necklaces given to them by their aunt. I think everyone must have the pearls connotation because my 8 year old daughter said, "those are what I'll wear for an important party, like if I'm going to meet the Queen." Then she added, "And I'll wear my cross when I meet the Pope!" (She also has baptismal cross and chain that's just keep locked up).

How does she even know who the Queen and Pope are? Are these topics of conversation around the school yard?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive worn gold or silver neck chains or a leather cord almost everyday for the last 37 years.I have pendants to put on them or wear them alone.Only one at a time,rarely in multiples. in the 70s and 80s i collected chains in different metals, link patterns,mm size, lengths.My favorites were/are...Wheat,rope,Figaro,snake,fox-tail.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear them when I can hide them under an overcoat. I've been wearing them for many years. (I'm 63).

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own every type of necklace you can name from neck chains to a Tessere, but I'd have to think twice about wearing anything truly expensive out now. What's going on is scary. And I think I have seven strands of pearls. I lost count and I also threw one out. My grandmother gave us all baroque pearls years ago and I didn't like them.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I love necklaces, but the clasps always get stuck in my hair and it drives me crazy. And it hurts.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Lots of wardrobe items are disappearing around us.
My teenage son (age 16) won't wear a watch. It's too oldfashioned and anyway he has the time on his cellphone. he says only older people wear them and usually if they want to show off because the watch is expensive.
He won't wear an overcoat and jacket. It's all hoodies. If the weather is extra extra cold, he'll wear TWO hoodies.
At his back to school night, the teacher could not convince any of the students to sign up for the new lockers they built in the school. No one has a coat to put inside them.
I don't know anyone under thirty who owns a slip and I know they don't sell them in stores anymore. I mean the little half-slips (my generation didn't wear the full slips anymore either). I see people's thongs and more showing through their pretty little light dresses regularly and they don't seem aware that they are showing off more than they might want to and that there is a solution (slip). I lent one to a young girl once and she wore it OUTSIDE her skirt and posted photos up and everyone her age was saying, Oh, what a pretty little overskirt.
Flipflops now go everywhere, even church, funerals and weddings.
Putting on mourning apparently means to wear a pair of sunshades (with your flipflops) to the funeral.
Maternity clothes have disappeared so far as pregnant women are concerned--they all wear stretch lycra to show off their 'baby bumps' while the girls who AREN'T pregnant wear what look like maternity tops to me.
Necklaces may not go with the extremely low-dipping necklines now in vogue. I mean, it would look odd to be wearing a little pearl choker when you are decollete practically down to your nipples in any and all situations--honestly I'm scared when salesladies bend over that the girls will actually pop out in front of me. The little pendants that people wear usually go right down exactly to where they call the most attention to the cleavage--necklaces wouldn't do that.
Oh, well. My generation is not in a position to complain about changes in fashion. Being that we are the ones who stopped wearing hats even in winter, especially the males; stopped wearing white gloves (they were fussy, but they did help with stopping germs from passing around quite the way they do now); put on jeans, which were only for workmen previously and wore them as bell-bottoms, like sailors and with the knees ripped out (though many of my generation complain when the kids do this now); invented dressing down on all possible occasions for counter-cultural reasons; brought in long unkempt hair (as in hippie chick). Then when we stopped that, we all went into suits, men and women that were seriously the most unflattering things for women in those days EVER seen. Anyway, we left little for the younger generation to do other than go into wearing pajama bottoms around as pants and the ubiquitous flipflops.
My husband teaches all my sons how to tie ties, but I fear that this is now a useless skill and none of their friends their age know how to do it. But it doesn't matter. They never wear ties.
Well, if fashions never changed, what would we be in? Togas? Fig leaves?
Whatever. I'll jsut keep dressing how I like, which definitely includes beautiful necklaces, especially pearls. (though I also have jade, coral, chrysophrase, onyx and many other lovely things, which I also wear).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1314915860|3007773 said:
My teenage son (age 16) won't wear a watch. It's too oldfashioned and anyway he has the time on his cellphone. he says only older people wear them and usually if they want to show off because the watch is expensive.
He won't wear an overcoat and jacket. It's all hoodies. If the weather is extra extra cold, he'll wear TWO hoodies.
At his back to school night, the teacher could not convince any of the students to sign up for the new lockers they built in the school. No one has a coat to put inside them.
I don't know anyone under thirty who owns a slip and I know they don't sell them in stores anymore. I mean the little half-slips (my generation didn't wear the full slips anymore either). I see people's thongs and more showing through their pretty little light dresses regularly and they don't seem aware that they are showing off more than they might want to and that there is a solution (slip). I lent one to a young girl once and she wore it OUTSIDE her skirt and posted photos up and everyone her age was saying, Oh, what a pretty little overskirt.
Putting on mourning apparently means to wear a pair of sunshades (with your flipflops) to the funeral.
Maternity clothes have disappeared so far as pregnant women are concerned--they all wear stretch lycra to show off their 'baby bumps' while the girls who AREN'T pregnant wear what look like maternity tops to me.
Necklaces may not go with the extremely low-dipping necklines now in vogue. I mean, it would look odd to be wearing a little pearl choker when you are decollete practically down to your nipples in any and all situations--honestly I'm scared when salesladies bend over that the girls will actually pop out in front of me. The little pendants that people wear usually go right down exactly to where they call the most attention to the cleavage--necklaces wouldn't do that.
Oh, well. My generation is not in a position to complain about changes in fashion. Being that we are the ones who stopped wearing hats even in winter, especially the males; stopped wearing white gloves (they were fussy, but they did help with stopping germs from passing around quite the way they do now); put on jeans, which were only for workmen previously and wore them as bell-bottoms, like sailors and with the knees ripped out (though many of my generation complain when the kids do this now); invented dressing down on all possible occasions for counter-cultural reasons; brought in long unkempt hair (as in hippie chick). Then when we stopped that, we all went into suits, men and women that were seriously the most unflattering things for women in those days EVER seen. Anyway, we left little for the younger generation to do other than go into wearing pajama bottoms around as pants and the ubiquitous flipflops.
My husband teaches all my sons how to tie ties, but I fear that this is now a useless skill and none of their friends their age know how to do it. But it doesn't matter. They never wear ties.
Whatever. I'll jsut keep dressing how I like, which definitely includes beautiful necklaces, especially pearls. (though I also have jade, coral, chrysophrase, onyx and many other lovely things, which I also wear).

LOLOLOL :bigsmile: That is too funny and oh so true! What is with the younger generation LOL. I mean, 2 hoodies are just not as warm as my Northface KWIM? And I need my little half slips! Believe me, I'm doing everyone a favor when I wear them under my skirts that show everything when the sun hits it just right :oops:
And don't get me started on those pajama bottoms that I see kids wearing outside as pants. I mean, c'mon. Really?
Of course, nothing compares to when I see kids wearing their pants down around their knees. I could have gone my whole life without seeing their ugly underwear and butt. Do they even have parents who give a damn? Or has everyone just given up?

Yes, I agree we should just keep dressing the way we like and hopefully good taste will come into vogue again someday :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been wearing pendants exclusively for a few years but all of a sudden got the urge to wear some beads this summer. Alternating between my pendants and a silver strand of graduated beads and a strand of grey freshwater pearls. With bolder prints and thicker fabrics/sweaters -- sometimes a more substantial necklace looks best to me. But I'm (gasp -- as of today! -- 44. I mean 40. Because I've decided to backslide a bit.)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[
Heheheh - I find I'm an all-or-nothing at all kinda gal, which is to say, either I like my necklaces dog-collar tight, or I want them 20" to 80". Given that I still remember being compared to a Modigliani, but am neither asymmetrical nor a whote, I'm guessing that means I must be long-necked ....

I love this one... she was neither asymmetrical nor a whote, is was a famed poet and one of the most beautiful women in St. Petersburg in the beginning of the XX century.

http://www.abcgallery.com/A/altman/altman1.html

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I'd be flattered to be compared to Anna Akhmatova, she was a genius poet.
She was treated very cruelly by Stalin.

quote="crasru|1314921986|3007832"][
Heheheh - I find I'm an all-or-nothing at all kinda gal, which is to say, either I like my necklaces dog-collar tight, or I want them 20" to 80". Given that I still remember being compared to a Modigliani, but am neither asymmetrical nor a whote, I'm guessing that means I must be long-necked ....

I love this one... she was neither asymmetrical nor a whote, is was a famed poet and one of the most beautiful women in St. Petersburg in the beginning of the XX century.

http://www.abcgallery.com/A/altman/altman1.html[/quote]

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I wear pearls most days. Usually, it's just a plain, long strand worn doubled, but I do have a wonderful triple strand necklace of pink/lavender baroque pearls with a jeweled clasp that I wear when I feel like dressing up.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I don't really have any necklaces...something to add to the list, I guess!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot stand the feel of things touching my neck - chains, chains with pendants, necklaces, scarves, pullover sweaters, buttoning my blouse up to my throat...

I have several necklaces and pendants. Including some nice ones, and a whole cabinet of mardi gras beads (not acquired in the usual manner :rodent: ). Why I still have most of these pieces, given that I will never ever wear them, is beyond me.

Black Jade - your post made me laugh, too true!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1314924853|3007857 said:

[/quote]

I made a mistake - this is a famous portrait, but not by Modigliani. They loved each other in Paris, and this is his portrait of her. One of them.

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/modigliani/modigliani75.html

Black Jade - are you a writer? Not only was it funny, it was very well-written!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1314919527|3007799 said:
Black Jade|1314915860|3007773 said:

LOLOLOL :bigsmile: That is too funny and oh so true! What is with the younger generation LOL. I mean, 2 hoodies are just not as warm as my Northface KWIM? And I need my little half slips! Believe me, I'm doing everyone a favor when I wear them under my skirts that show everything when the sun hits it just right :oops:
And don't get me started on those pajama bottoms that I see kids wearing outside as pants. I mean, c'mon. Really?
Of course, nothing compares to when I see kids wearing their pants down around their knees. I could have gone my whole life without seeing their ugly underwear and butt. Do they even have parents who give a damn? Or has everyone just given up?

Yes, I agree we should just keep dressing the way we like and hopefully good taste will come into vogue again someday :bigsmile:

So very true! My boys are the same. They have worn ties for interviews, and my 15 year old is required to wear a shirt and tie tucked in
once a month at school. I think it is a good thing for the boys to learn what 'dressed up' looks like. My 22 year old son likes to wear
a nice jacket (in California!), but the others don't.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen a saleswoman bend over and show everything down to her belly button. Seriously, get a clue
who wants to see that?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't wear necklaces or any such thing really. Not for lack of trying. I just don't remember in the morning, and if it's hot out I can't stand them on my skin.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, thanks for the compliment.

crasru|1314943455|3008096 said:
Black Jade|1314924853|3007857 said:

I made a mistake - this is a famous portrait, but not by Modigliani. They loved each other in Paris, and this is his portrait of her. One of them.

http://www.abcgallery.com/M/modigliani/modigliani75.html

Black Jade - are you a writer? Not only was it funny, it was very well-written![/quote]

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love necklaces - I wear a hammered silver neckring a lot and I find it very flattering.

I think that fine jewelry necklaces are quite rare now and I put it to two reasons: cost and flexibility. A full necklace is expensive - lots of metal and labour. It is also more limited in opportunities to wear - they are more striking and remarkable, in a time where we value wearing new clothes and different looks (as opposed to wearing the same gowns all season, rewearing your wedding dress and having jewels that were recognized as yours because you wore them often to the opera, suppers, etc).

However, I think that casual necklaces are very popular. I see a lot of beaded necklaces, from lower end stones to wood, bone, etc.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like to wear wooden bead necklaces, crystals or polished stone necklaces. I have a few leather necklaces with large rustic artsy pendents. I wear them mostly on weekends, the rest of the work week I wear my diamond solitaire. It matches everything and I don't have to think about it. HEre's a picture of me with one of my bead necklaces.

picture.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1314919854|3007806 said:
I've been wearing pendants exclusively for a few years but all of a sudden got the urge to wear some beads this summer. Alternating between my pendants and a silver strand of graduated beads and a strand of grey freshwater pearls. With bolder prints and thicker fabrics/sweaters -- sometimes a more substantial necklace looks best to me. But I'm (gasp -- as of today! -- 44. I mean 40. Because I've decided to backslide a bit.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DECO!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Hope you are having a great day and best wishes for many many many more!!! :wavey:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two necklaces... Tiffany silver graduated beads and a string of 7mm black Pearls- I find that I really don't wear them as much as my Pendants.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results