cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about DOS?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
c:\

How many thousands of times did we all type that?!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keyboard with more than 12 command keys?

DK :bigsmile:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought my first computer in the early 80's. I learned to use Dos by 1985 when I got my first computer with a hard drive, a Compaq portable with a 10 Megabyte hard drive. I ran my business on it and could not imagine how I would ever use 10 megs.

Now many of my pictures are bigger than that!

Wink

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old, yes, but... also brave and intrepid and oh my goodness how we persevered! Remember how we had to enter search terms before google? How often our old computers crashed, taking with them hours of work? Remember having to actually learn how to use programs, because they were so far from intuitive? I never had to walk three miles uphill in the snow to get to school, but I did have to learn to use a couple of pretty archaic word processing programs before we got to Word! :lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, yes, searches before google were something else.

Once upon a time, I spent a few dollars on a search program called Ferret. I installed it on the family computer so that my son and daughter could use it for helping them to do research for papers for school.

My daughter did a search for bears as she wanted to do a report on bears.

Ferret returned page after page of information about lesbians. Quite the shock to my barely teen daughter living in Boise, Idaho.

While not the kind of bears she was looking for, it led to some interesting discussions about diversity and the acceptance thereof. It also led to me removing ferret from the computer, as there are only so many of those discussions a young dad wants to have with his young daughter.

She has gone to be one of the most well rounded young ladies I know, happily married and mother of two of my granddaughters and a very successful voice over actress.

I, on the other hand, have gone on to become a nostalgic fellow who loves to share his memories with PriceScopers.

Wink

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't need to "want to feel old" when I KNOW I am old. :lol: I grew up on DOS and the huge floppies that wouldn't hold a single file today.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Kenny, needed a good laugh! I'm 28 in less than 2 weeks but I remember all of this!!

It reminds me of some stories I have heard about the McLaren F1 road car (considered the greatest car ever) and what goes into servicing one; it was one of the very first production cars that could have telemetry and other data read by a computer that gets plugged into the car, something that was really only in F1 racing back in the late 80s/early 90s. Unfortunately the software and hardware used doesn't seem to be compatible with modern computers, so that same equipment nowadays is virtually an antique collectible. This makes servicing the cars very tricky for McLaren, the average service cost is nearly $50k :shock: :shock:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I love the kid who keeps talking about getting snacks while waiting for the computer.

Also, anyone remember the math game Number Munchers? That and Oregon Trail were pretty much all I learned to do on the computer until high school.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh, ok, I'm ready to be mounted and displayed in some museum's Triassic exhibit along with all the other nice dinosaurs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results