Premium
Your vote in this poll is anonymous.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
whichever spell check comes up with.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I was not aware that dictionary is just a place to record the many ways that we have butchered the language. What's next...add in common mispronunciations like aks (ask) and are (our or hour). It some areas it is common to hear things like 'I borrowed it to my neighbor' instead of 'My neighbor borrowed it' or 'I loaned it to my neighbor.' Oh this one makes me crazy.....'I have a sofa for sell.'

I make plenty of my own grammar mistakes but some things are over the line, lol. I almost never correct even when I read or hear something egregious. My daughter's text messages are one exception...she loves me regardless. :mrgreen: More than once someone has commented that I enunciate when I speak. It's an odd compliment, lol. But if I ever have to ask "At what hour are our friends expecting us for dinner?" you will understand the question the first time!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is down there with, "I could care less", or "
I was not aware that dictionary is just a place to record the many ways that we have butchered the language. What's next...add in common mispronunciations like aks (ask) and are (our or hour). It some areas it is common to hear things like 'I borrowed it to my neighbor' instead of 'My neighbor borrowed it' or 'I loaned it to my neighbor.' Oh this one makes me crazy.....'I have a sofa for sell.'

I make plenty of my own grammar mistakes but some things are over the line, lol. I almost never correct even when I read or hear something egregious. My daughter's text messages are one exception...she loves me regardless. :mrgreen: More than once someone has commented that I enunciate when I speak. It's an odd compliment, lol. But if I ever have to ask "At what hour are our friends expecting us for dinner?" you will understand the question the first time!

One Vey! :roll:
You're worse than I am.
Just answer the question.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gary is that you ? :mrgreen2:
These are his bug bears also

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
“Irregardless” is not a word. Makes me nuts.
+1

Lately I've been hearing "step foot" a lot...i.e., I would never step foot in that house. WTH is step foot???? It's set foot fools! This happens because people don't read enough. They just make up their own words/phrases based on what they "think" they hear.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my kids were in school their grammar teacher told me snuck is not a word. I think it’s a darn good word. Sneaked is the correct form. :roll2:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1

Lately I've been hearing "step foot" a lot...i.e., I would never step foot in that house. WTH is step foot???? It's set foot fools! This happens because people don't read enough. They just make up their own words/phrases based on what they "think" they hear.

Omg! @SandyinAnaheim - this made me laugh cause it’s so true!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my kids were in school their grammar teacher told me snuck is not a word. I think it’s a darn good word. Sneaked is the correct form.

I thought I was the only person who had a problem with the so-called word "snuck". It is everywhere and should be nowhere.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I was the only person who had a problem with the so-called word "snuck". It is everywhere and should be nowhere.

I first read that in a baby sitter's club book lol. But I still get mixed up between sneak/snuck; hanged/hung; lay/lie.

Irregardless drives me crazy. Along with could of instead of could've (could have) .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've given up trying to keep straight: lay lie lain laid. :nono: :snore:
But I have an excuse for trouble keeping anything ... straight! :lol-2:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
When my kids were in school their grammar teacher told me snuck is not a word. I think it’s a darn good word. Sneaked is the correct form. :roll2:

My pet peeve is using “drug” for the past tense of drag. I have heard people say: she drug his dead body across the field.....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never understood “don’t got” :confused::???:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As in I don’t got no money!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
One that I've noticed a lot recently is using "could of" in place of "could have" or "could've"... makes me insane.

This drives me crazy too. Could of, should of, would of make no sense at all. It’s amazing how many native speakers of English seem to think those terms are correct.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a former English teacher I actually use both, depends on the situation I'm using it in.... so I ticked other....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pet peeve is using “drug” for the past tense of drag. I have heard people say: she drug his dead body across the field.....

I hope never to have this conversation with anyone.......:P2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your really going overbord with this......
Why should you're grammar bother other people?????

I know you are joking. LOL Grammar "Your (you're)." And spelling "overbord (overboard)".

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I know a girl who uses “genurally” interchangeably instead of generally or genuinely. God she’s annoying

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GAH!!!!! I never thought I was bothered by so much grammar, but when it's all typed out it drives me BATTY!!!! I've encountered people who do all of the above and it is annoying. I agree that it is the lack of reading.

My other pet peeve: incorrect use of osmosis. Osmosis is the transfer of a solvent across a membrane. No you cannot learn by osmosis (explain how knowledge is a solvent)....annoying!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I love this thread haha. My SIL spells absolutely as “obsoletely”. I wonder what she thinks the actual word absolutely means, when she invariably sees it written somewhere

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
"Youse guys" makes me cringe. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Another one of my favorites is "all the sudden"....I hear it all the time on TV. Where do people come up with this stuff?

My husband drives me bonkers with "me and him" are going to the store. I can't even say anything about it anymore as in 16 yrs, he's still doing it. He has two siblings that are TEACHERS and they do it too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results