shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you use coupons?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
For years I used a coupon here or there. Then about a year ago I started using coupons on a regular basis. Then I started watching Extreme Couponing and used some of their tips but on a much smaller scale (no need for 69 mustards, thank you! :)) and as a pretty frugal person, get a thrill saving money at the grocery store!

DH is totally on board with me using coupons, but he doesn't have the time or desire to look, cut, and organize our coupons, so it's my job and I really enjoy it! I used to cut diaper and wipes coupons for a friend who had a baby a few months back, but she said she's embarrassed to use coupons and just loses them anyway. So I've stopped cutting any baby items coupons out for her.

So I'm curious if any PSer's coupon? And how frequently? How do other's view your couponing?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *really* want to, but I don't. I don't get the Sunday Paper so I don't really have any way to get them without online searching. I know DH wishes we would do that....

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314488837|3002304 said:
I *really* want to, but I don't. I don't get the Sunday Paper so I don't really have any way to get them without online searching. I know DH wishes we would do that....

Ame, we get the Washington Post delivered daily so that's how I get my coupons. I also get a few magazine subscriptions and there are sometimes coupons in there as well. I don't search for coupons online as most of my local grocers won't accept them for fear of them being fradulant.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only use the ones we get at the chain supermarket (the ones that spit out after every purchase with your receipt.) I try to do some of our shopping for bulk items there because we rack up fuel points and get up to $1 off per gallon if we also use their gas station. So couponing at that store for things like pasta, bread, salad dressings ( you know, all the processed crap), even personal care products, makes sense for me. Spending time on clipping and buying a bunch of stuff I don't really need (there are only two of us right now) isn't to our advantage. The rest of my shopping is done at locally owned markets (think TJ's or Whole Foods) and I'm cool with keeping my money local even if it's a bit more expensive--items I get there are fresh produce and things that don't have manufacturers' coupons anyway.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1314489250|3002328 said:
I only use the ones we get at the chain supermarket (the ones that spit out after every purchase with your receipt.) I try to do some of our shopping for bulk items there because we rack up fuel points and get up to $1 off per gallon if we also use their gas station. So couponing at that store for things like pasta, bread, salad dressings ( you know, all the processed crap), even personal care products, makes sense for me. Spending time on clipping and buying a bunch of stuff I don't really need (there are only two of us right now) isn't to our advantage. The rest of my shopping is done at locally owned markets (think TJ's or Whole Foods) and I'm cool with keeping my money local even if it's a bit more expensive--items I get there are fresh produce and things that don't have manufacturers' coupons anyway.

Monnie- That's a rule for me- no coupons that we won't use. To me, that's just money wasted and not the point of using coupons! I do wish there were coupons for produce and organic milk.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314488837|3002304 said:

+1... Same exact story for me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! I will still buy things I want even without a coupon or sale but if I have a coupon, I will use it! I get the Sunday paper delivered for $1 a week (cheaper and easier than buying it at the store) and do look at the sales for the week. The best is when I buy something that is on sale with a store coupon AND a brand coupon. I admit, I have a boring life and it gives me a thrill. My DH makes fun of me but I tell him, if you found $20 bill on the sidewalk wouldn't you pick it up AND be excited?!? To me it is the same thing. I have saved over 50% before at the super market (around $60). I make it a game but am no where close to being obsessed. There are some simple things you can do that add up quickly, like always using a pharmacy that gives you a $10-$20 GC for every new prescription.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would but i've just found it so much work to try to sift through the coupons and find the good deals. I wish it were easier!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1314489430|3002340 said:
monarch64|1314489250|3002328 said:

Monnie- That's a rule for me- no coupons that we won't use. To me, that's just money wasted and not the point of using coupons! I do wish there were coupons for produce and organic milk.

I wish there were coupons for those things as well. Prices are just too dependent on seasons and other variables, though. Have you thought about growing your own produce (if that's a possibility?) My winter project this year will be planning some raised beds and containers for veggies and herbs. When I think of all the money we'll save I GET SO EXCITED!!!! Haha!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Central, Having an organizer makes it easy. I go through it before going to the store and pull the items I need. I also bring it with me so if there is a sale I can pull it out there. My store does limit how many coupons per transaction. I have never been over but wonder how extreme couponers get around it. I also wish more donated their stock pile instead of hoarded it. Most things will go bad so seems like a waste if you don't use it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
Coupons are often to get you to buy something you'd not otherwise buy.

That's not saving.
That's spending.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1314489636|3002353 said:
YES! I will still buy things I want even without a coupon or sale but if I have a coupon, I will use it! I get the Sunday paper delivered for $1 a week (cheaper and easier than buying it at the store) and do look at the sales for the week. The best is when I buy something that is on sale with a store coupon AND a brand coupon. I admit, I have a boring life and it gives me a thrill. My DH makes fun of me but I tell him, if you found $20 bill on the sidewalk wouldn't you pick it up AND be excited?!? To me it is the same thing. I have saved over 50% before at the super market (around $60). I make it a game but am no where close to being obsessed. There are some simple things you can do that add up quickly, like always using a pharmacy that gives you a $10-$20 GC for every new prescription.

Ok, if we lived closed to each other ,we would need to go shopping together, lol. That's pretty much how I coupon! Organizer, spread sheet, and it's a double score if it's on sale and I have a coupon for it! My best savings to date was a local store was doubling up $1.98 coupons. And everything I bought was on sale. My total before coupons was $220ish, after $78 and change!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314489896|3002374 said:
No.

That's not saving.
That's spending.

To an extent that's true, if you let it be. My rule is I only clip a coupon if I know we A) need it B) use it C) have wanted to try it. No waste or there's no point!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314489896|3002374 said:
No.

That's not saving.
That's spending.

Not if you're an extreme couponer!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use coupons at stores including Bed, Bath & Beyond, DSW, Macy's and drugstores. Not so much for grocery stores, though. We don't get the Sunday paper nor do we get mail with many coupons. However, I look for sales at all places we shop which includes checking grocery store advertisements. We also save a lot by shopping at Costco.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I use coupons but am not that good at it. I always look for coupons online or in our sunday paper but if I need/want something and there isn't a coupon I will still use it. I wish I was better. Like the last 2 posts, I get a thrill from a good savings but I can't always make that happen. Also, I am not use to doubling coupons, I moved from the midwest to the east coasts and in the midwest they never doubled.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I love it when they will double up to 1.98 or sometimes here they will triple coupons under a dollar. I am too lazy for a spreadsheet and like I said I DO buy stuff that is not on sale or that I don't have a coupon for but I have learned not to be as brand loyal. Example, why buy the TP I am used to if I have a coupon for another? Just doesn't make sense. Also there is a SM that sends out $10 off for a $50 order and my local one will match it! No brainer if you ask me and you can use that one on anything. Especially if you have a baby. I never paid full price for diapers, wipes, formula, baby food.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
When shopping online, I *always* use 1. coupons and 2. ebates. My last ebates check was for $20, in fact, and that covered my gas money in a pinch!

At the store... well, not so much. We do shop at Costco and buy in bulk to cut costs, and even use their coupons when they send them in the mail every once in a while, but other than that the most frequent couponing I do at regular grocery stores is plucking those on-packaging coupons and using them! :lol: For example, I once saw a $2.00-off coupon for O-organics (all brand items) on a carrot bag, kidnapped it, and used it to buy spinach which was already on sale for 2-for-$5! I felt like an extreme couponer in that moment, but that's about it! :mrgreen:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our family, my husband is the thrifty one, so he does. I am "the spender" so I avoid going to stores altogether, I just give him a list of what to buy.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We use coupons and for a family of two we probably save close to $50/month. I only clip what we purchase and occasionally something new we'd like to try. We use them on sale items and go to the grocery store that doubles your coupons, or a store like Target or Walmart. We also belong to BJs and get coupons from them. We only go there when we have a stack and then not only do we save by buying bulk, but we usually have a $3-5 coupon for each item as well.

Certainly, there are coupons that are useless. "save 50 cents on two" for example, really annoys me. However, if it's an item we purchase, I'll clip the coupon and hang on to it until a sale comes around. Every little bit counts.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
asymons412|1314490761|3002425 said:
When shopping online, I *always* use 1. coupons and 2. ebates. My last ebates check was for $20, in fact, and that covered my gas money in a pinch!

At the store... well, not so much. We do shop at Costco and buy in bulk to cut costs, and even use their coupons when they send them in the mail every once in a while, but other than that the most frequent couponing I do at regular grocery stores is plucking those on-packaging coupons and using them! :lol: For example, I once saw a $2.00-off coupon for O-organics (all brand items) on a carrot bag, kidnapped it, and used it to buy spinach which was already on sale for 2-for-$5! I felt like an extreme couponer in that moment, but that's about it! :mrgreen:

I love ebates! I shop online at LandsEnd.com and OldNavy.com and always use ebates.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
meg, I love that BJ's takes coupons. In face you can stack them with brand ones. That is exciting (yes, I am a loser). I will say the low ones can come in handy if you can double or triple them.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1314491159|3002452 said:
meg, I love that BJ's takes coupons. In face you can stack them with brand ones. That is exciting (yes, I am a loser). I will say the low ones can come in handy if you can double or triple them.

We have Costco and I wish they would take coupons. But our Costco has the cheapest gas in the area, so we only fuel up our cars there.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I am also a BJ's fan and use their coupons that I get in their catalogs, brand coupons, and the coupons they have when you walk in. I always spend a lot at BJ's but I always walk out of there feeling that I got a ton of stuff for the money.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Not regularly. I try not to buy anything full price, not including grocery.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I started this spring after encouragement from my sister, just before the craze started.
It took a little bit to get going but I'm never turning back now. I'm saving on average about a third off what I was spending. Also we have so much food and deodorant and toilet paper etc in the house now that we need a freezer and are scrabbling around for space to put the other things.
Hubby was on the bandwagon right away, my kid was more hesitant but now that the house is food of good things to eat, he waits patiently while I sort through the file in the store.
And there are too coupons for organic milk, I've used them (and also organic eggs). and there are fresh veggie coupons too and I've been able to buy meat with the $5.00 off-next-shopping-trip-if-you-buy-$50.00 worth type of coupon. Besides, the saving 1/3 off grocery bill counts the fresh fruit and organic meat that I fit into the bill more easily now that I am paying so much for detergent, deodorant, toothpaste, acne face wash and so forth. I got free Tropicana orange juice yesterday for buying a couple of other things we neededf (I never buy anything we don't need). And it is not eating up all my time. I was encouraged that it wouldn't by the fact that my sister does it--and she's a single mom with four kids and a grandkid with a full time job and a part time job. I'm a mom of one kid and I only have one part time job, so I figured if she could do it, I could, too.
I'd like to do half off the grocery bill, and am hoping to get into refunding soon, which is supposed to help with that.
I did fantasize that one day I'd go in and buy a stack of things for $10 but it hasn't happened however. However, HUBBY did go in one day to grocery store tripling coupons and paid negative money--they owed him when they finished adding it up and he added something else in. I take comfort in the fact that he did it with coupons I clipped.
The book I used to start out (recommended by sis) is Supershop like the Coupon Queen--it's on Amazon.com and well worth the $11.00.

P.S. I've also gotten free tanks of gas so much because of the grocery shopping that my hubby is now surprised and disappointed when we have to fill up and I don't have this available. many grocery stores are making this possible this summer one way or another.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jade, I agree with you. Even if people are super healthy and buy only fresh foods there are still ways to save. That is awesome you are doing so well! I started when I had my daughter almost 4 years ago b/c paying full price for diapers literally hurt me.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot the part about people's reactions to it.
Three different responses:
a) jealous and admiring
b) jealous and guilty
c) jealous and wish to learn how to do it, too and asking for tips how to

For years and years people, especially family members made fun of hubby and I for being 'frugal'--they used to say things like 'cheap' . (They could never say stingy, because we give too much away). However all that stopped in 2008. Now people ask us for tips on how to save money as well as we do and regret the amount they used to waste while we were stashing for the rainy days that have, alas, come.

I got on Pricescope because of being frugal--our anniv was coming up and I wanted a nice ring w/o overpaying. Information is the friend of the frugal person--frugality doesnt' mean you don't have nice things, but that you save, plan and keep in your budget so that you have nice things that the 'repo man' will never come for and you aren't hiding from bill collectors.

We did this thing called Crown Financial once-I would recommend it very highly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll use one every now and then and get overly impressed with myself for saving $5! I'm too lazy to get even close to extreme about it, though! :cheeky:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
We do sometimes, but we don't spend any more time searching for coupons. If the coupons are there, we use them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results