shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take good care of your mouth/teeth?? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m quite curious about this topic... Oral hygiene!
23.gif

So, how well do you take care of your mouth/teeth. REALLY. Be honest! What''s your daily routine? How often do you go to the dentist? Do you "improve" your oral care right before a trip to the dentist''s office? Tell the truth. I won''t judge
2.gif

I used to be so-so at taking care of my teeth. I brushed at least once a day, generally twice... But if I forgot before bed, I didn''t quite mind. Rarely used mouth wash. I hardly ever flossed (unless I had a dentist appointment coming up)... And for the most part, I went to the dentist every 6 months.

In August 2007, however, I got braces
6.gif
and since then, my routine is a tooootally different ball game. Brush 3 times a day, floss twice a day, mouth wash & flouride rinse, use "soft-picks" for gum stimulation/blood flow, and use a pick-tool to remove any plaque buildup along my gumline. Still see the dentist every 6 months, and the ortho every 2-4 weeks (nearing the end of my treatment!!!)

I plan to keep up the more rigorous routine after the braces are removed. I didn''t do it before because I didn''t care.. and figured it was time consuming. My first orthodontist instilled the fear of white spots and horrid damage to my teeth if I didn''t clean them uber-well, so I just became accustomed to the flossing, etc... And if I can floss a fully-braced mouth in 2-3 minutes, I''ll be able to floss sans-braces in... like... 30 seconds
1.gif
I''ll probably cut the brushing down to 2xday, as I''ve heard that over-brushing is bad for teeth... I''ll probably just rinse with water and do a quick floss in the middle of the day/post-lunch.

So spill it.... What''s your daily oral-hygiene routine???

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brush twice a day and floss once a day. I see the dentist every six months for a checkup (just went last week in fact), and he always tells me that my teeth and gums look VERY healthy!
9.gif

I do wish my teeth were straighter, though. Also, my bite doesn''t close correctly (it never has), so my upper and lower teeth don''t touch in the back when I bite down. To fix these issues, I would probably need to have major surgery (breaking my jaw, etc.), so I haven''t bothered. I guess my teeth and gums are very healthy, but my *mouth* as a whole is not healthy, if that makes sense.
7.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fanatic about my oral hygiene, that way my trips to the dentist are uneventful. I always call a TB and mini tube of TP so I can brush my teeth after lunch or dinner out...

cheers--Sharon

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a spaz about brushing my teeth - usually 3+ times a day. But, I don''t floss (never have) and the last time I went to the dentist was several years ago. I had palate expanders, braces and oral surgery as a teen and I''ve only had one cavity - hence the reason why I went to the dentist several years ago. I have very sensitive teeth and gums and a basic cleaning is torture. It hurts like heck and I bleed everywhere. At the same appt several years ago I explained this to the hygenist over and over again, and what do ya know, it hurt me really bad, I bled and then she called me a baby for asking her to stop. Needless to say, I''m in no rush to go through that again. Also, DH and I have never had dental coverage so it''s never been a priority for either of us.

I used to have top and bottom permanent retainers from my earlier dental work, but the top one fell out and now my teeth are starting to shift. I am very self-conscious about it and I vainly figure that if I''m going to spend $$$ on my mouth, out of pocket, then it will be for cosmetic work and not actual preventative care
38.gif
My bottm permanent retainer is still in place and my bottom teeth look excellent.

Even though we do not have dental coverage we''ve already decided that if our son needs dental work done in the future then we''ll pay for it - no matter how much it costs. It''s important to us that his teeth don''t look bad and that he learns good dental habits.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I think so.... dentists always comment on how clean my teeth are. I brush three times a day, and floss at mornings. I also rinse my mouth if I''m unable to brush after a meal, for whatever reason.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brush thoroughly (and religiously) at night and add a quick brush before leaving the house in the morning. I rarely floss, but I almost always have brushpics on hand and I use them when needed. I do floss religiously (using a Reach flosser) after my annual or so dental exams!

I know this sounds like a really lax routine -- and it is! -- but I generally get high praise from the hygenists (until they find out that I rarely floss). I think I have pretty good brushing technique thanks to friend way back in college who went to dental school for awhile and enlightened me on proper brushing technique. Also I was subjected to gum surgery once, a coupla decades ago, so I'm very aware of what's happening with my "pockets," and I pay special attention to problem areas as soon as I spot them. Add that to luck of the draw where teeth are concerned, and my visits to the dentist are generally not too painful. (Except for my dentist's habit of trying to talk me into expensive and generally unnecessary products and procedures - grrr!)

Is that honest enough for you, PPM?
2.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I used to be lazyish, like you described Pils. Then I went to the dental hygienist, and she hurt me. I never want to feel that pain again. Now I brush 3 times a day for about 5 mins each time, floss every day, mouthwash...the fear!! It works!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
When you folks brush your teeth during the day when you are out and about do you spit in the public restroom sinks? Sorry, that grosses me out.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brush two-three times a day. I keep a tooth brush at work and regularly brush my teeth after lunch. I floss about two times a week. I have a couple of teeth that bleed very easily along the gum line so I have to be careful. I can''t not brush them, but if I brush or floss too much it causes problems. I use mouth wash when I think about it, about twice a week.

I''ve always had teeth that dentists comment on for having deep crevices and being pitted. Most dentists have said that the teeth didn''t ever form properly. I''m not sure how most have come to that conclusion, but most mention it without any mention from me and no transfer of dental records.

Now if I could only remember to brush my cat''s teeth more often!

Date: 4/19/2009 5:49:05 PM
Author: swingirl
When you folks brush your teeth during the day when you are out and about do you spit in the public restroom sinks? Sorry, that grosses me out.

Yep. It''s no different than anything else gross that someone washes off in the sink. Parent who just changed a kid''s diaper and got a bit of urine on their hands. Or when you accidently stick your hand in someone else''s gum under a bus seat and wash it off. Spit happens.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m religious about going to the dentist every 6 months for a check up. I''d say the only thing I don''t do on a regular basis is floss.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I brush two/three times a day using an electric toothbrush. I floss when I remember (not so often!) I use mouth wash daily, and I see my dentist every six months.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I brush 2-3 times a day and floss usually once a week (at least that''s my goal). Before the dentist, I floss every day for a week. I''m good about going to the dentist twice a year now that I have insurance.

In college, I didn''t have dental insurance and was afraid of how much a cleaning would cost so I didn''t go. I used to be obsessive about brushing my teeth (after I ate ANYTHING), but my first trip to the dentist in years was SOOOO painful! My mouth was sore for days, and the hygenist was scraping for about an hour.

I also have a terrible fear of the dentist. I have an extra sensitive mouth, so while I can survive the typical cleaning, having to get a cavity filled is literally torture. And don''t get me started on having to have xrays done!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I brush 3 X a day and floss around 4-5 times a week (i forget sometimes) I just went to the dentist last month--and i hadn''t been for around 5 years
6.gif
15.gif
(luckily teeth are in great shape, but needed a good professional cleaning)

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I used to brush several times a day until my dentist told me I was actually damaging my gums by brushing so often. Now I twice a day and floss nightly.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m HORRIBLE about flossing. Seriously, it''s on the list of things to change about myself. I brush two-three times a day (morning and after lunch, sometimes I forget at bedtime). I used to have a diet coke addiction and I discovered that it dyed my teeth really badly at lunch time (so gross, it would make my teeth look rotten). So now I brush after drinking diet coke which is usually at lunch.

I love Crest Vivid White. It really gets your teeth clean!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooohhhh, this is something I feel very strongly about. Some people (due to the lack of education, financial means, whatever) are not fastidious about oral hygiene and that really grosses me out!
14.gif

I brush and floss religiously at least three times a day, sometimes more if I eat or drink anything sweet or overly garlicky or strong-tasting, or sometimes when I eat anything at all. I hate the feeling of having food bits or taste left in my mouth, or food bits stuck between my teeth! I also use a mouthwash when i am at home and also when I am in the office (I keep a mini bottle of mouthwash and also toothpaste, toothbrush and floss with me almost at all times), but overall I don't use mouthwash as much as I brush and floss my teeth. I've heard that some brands of mouthwash are actually bad for yr teeth. If I am not able to go brush my teeth straight away after I eat, I will try and do it as soon as possible afterwards.

I also use a soft to medium brush and/ or a battery-operated one. Am a little concerned about over-brushing but I'd rather that than have bad breath or rotten teeth or diseased gum!
4.gif

I also visit my dentist at least every 6 months.

The only thing I don't like about my teeth is that they're slightly yellow, due to the coffee I guess. Would love to have them whitened by laser but am worried about side effects (not sure if there're any).

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brush twice a day, floss 1-2x per day, use my gum stimulator 2x per day and use mouthwash daily. I''ve been lax in the seeing the dentist this past year because I have to be very careful. Any dentist visit could cause an infection in my heart which I do not need at this point.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit freakish about oral hygiene.

My morning and evening routines are the same:
-Floss
-Tongue scraper
-Brush
-Mouth wash

I visit the dentist every four months for a cleaning. DH is on the same schedule and routine, but he is prone to receding gums so he needs to go regularly.

I carry those little plastic flossers with me in my car and purse so I can do a quick floss if I''m out. I also have a little bottle of Listerine, just in case.

I used to brush my teeth several times throughout the day, but when I was a junior in high school my dentist told me that I was wearing down my tooth enamel and I had to have my teeth sealed. I was using hard bristles and he said I was damaging my teeth and gums, so I switched to soft bristles and cut down to brushing only twice a day.

I had braces, professional bleaching, and now I have four porcelain veneers on my front teeth, so I''ve invested waaaaaaay too much money in my smile to be relaxed about hygiene.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I''m impressed that so many of you take very good care of your teeth!! Bravo, bravo! I always feel better when my mouth is clean & minty... sometimes I''ll swoosh around some mouthwash if I''m getting a craving for some food that I don''t *need* to eat, and the craving generally goes away. Mint does amazing things
1.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock

I used to be pretty lax with my oral hygiene routine back before I was dating DH. I always brush my teeth in the morning, but not always at night. Didn’t use mouthwash at all. Flossing maybe once a week. I didn’t have dental coverage since I was 11 until I was in college. When I finally went to the dentist again, I had some cavities.

Now I use mouthwash and brush twice a day, morning and night. Floss daily. I use Rembrandt toothpaste because an oral hygienist once told me that it doesn’t have sugar in it like Colgate and Crest. I am not sure if it’s true anymore because it tastes sweeter now, but I am pretty sure it still has less sugar than Colgate and Crest. I think mouthwash is really helping me keep plague off my teeth. Because I started using mouthwash, the hygienist would always ask if I floss after she cleaned my teeth. Since I stared using mouthwash, she hadn’t said anything. I was, at one point, really good about going to the dentist twice a year. I need to get back on track and make an appointment for this month.

I am definitely going to instill good oral hygiene in my children; my parents were a little lax on making us brush our teeth before bed.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
FYI for those who mentioned that they have sensitive/bleeding gums that keep them from brushing or flossing more regularly – sensitive/bleeding gums mean something is wrong with your gum. The not brushing/flossing will make the situation worse. Actually brushing/flossing regularly will help to improve the health of your gums and lead to less bleeding/sensitivity.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 10:57:34 AM
Author: qtiekiki

I used to be pretty lax with my oral hygiene routine back before I was dating DH. I always brush my teeth in the morning, but not always at night. Didn’t use mouthwash at all. Flossing maybe once a week. I didn’t have dental coverage since I was 11 until I was in college. When I finally went to the dentist again, I had some cavities.

Now I use mouthwash and brush twice a day, morning and night. Floss daily. I use Rembrandt toothpaste because an oral hygienist once told me that it doesn’t have sugar in it like Colgate and Crest. I am not sure if it’s true anymore because it tastes sweeter now, but I am pretty sure it still has less sugar than Colgate and Crest. I think mouthwash is really helping me keep plague off my teeth. Because I started using mouthwash, the hygienist would always ask if I floss after she cleaned my teeth. Since I stared using mouthwash, she hadn’t said anything. I was, at one point, really good about going to the dentist twice a year. I need to get back on track and make an appointment for this month.

I am definitely going to instill good oral hygiene in my children; my parents were a little lax on making us brush our teeth before bed.
NOOOOOHHHH!!! Seriously?!! I''m shocked
6.gif
!! How can toothpaste contain sugar?!! OMG!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I brush twice a day and try to floss every day but it probably happens 2-3 times a week. I have a SonicCare toothbrush so I think that does an excellent job keeping teeth and even plaque at bay. Still need to floss though.

I hit the dentist every 6 months or there abouts.

I used to be CRAZY about it when I got my braces off, but it''s worn down for me now.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
First off, I don''t see this being a thread full of "me? I brush once a week whether I need it or not. After all, I DID go to the dentist in 1996. He said I had only a mouthful of cavities. Most of them have fallen out by now anyway, so I really don''t have a use for floss unless it''s a spaghetti noodle."

I brush at least 2x a day and usually 3. More if I eat something like a Cadbury egg. I also brush extra if I''m drinking alcohol. I usually floss 3x a week. It''s just not something I grew up doing, so it''s been very hard to make it a daily habit. As a child, if I couldn''t be found, my mom would go to the bathroom where she''d find me with a toothbrush in one hand and a tube of Crest in the other. I actually think I did more damage than good though, because I have the worst enamel and am very prone to cavities. (of course drinking non-flouridated well-water could have something to do with that too)

I brush JT''s teeth (3 years old) three times a day and have already begun flossing his teeth so it''s a habit for him. If he ever goes to nap-time or bedtime without brushing, he freaks out and demands it done immediately. I also only allow one serving of juice a day and brush his teeth immediately after. One of my biggest pet peeves is children with bad teeth, because as far as I can tell, it''s generally due to bad parental hygiene. (I know that some children are more susceptible to cavities and discoloration due to genetics, medications etc, so please don''t flame me for the above statement.)

That being said, me and my spaghetti noodle are out of here....

1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 10:57:45 AM
FYI for those who mentioned that they have sensitive/bleeding gums that keep them from brushing or flossing more regularly – sensitive/bleeding gums mean something is wrong with your gum. The not brushing/flossing will make the situation worse. Actually brushing/flossing regularly will help to improve the health of your gums and lead to less bleeding/sensitivity.

Yeah, something is wrong with my gums. I do brush regularly to help improve the issue, but I have a bit of a habit of brushing too hard and making the problem worse before better. I have to be careful to brush 2-3 times a day, but not to hard so I make my gums so sore and don''t want to brush.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have to get better. I got completely yelled at when I went in for a cleaning about three weeks ago. I brush just fine... it''s the flossing. I''m am so slack about it but after being completely chastised for several minutes by the dentist and feeling like I was getting yelled at by my mom, I have turned a new leaf. At least for me. I am flossing every night before I go to bed. We''ll see if there''s improvement at the next cleaning. I go to have two fillings replaced next week. I hope I don''t get yelled out then.
7.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 12:05:16 PM
Author: Phoenix
Date: 4/20/2009 10:57:34 AM

NOOOOOHHHH!!! Seriously?!! I''m shocked
6.gif
!! How can toothpaste contain sugar?!! OMG!!
Actually, if you live in the US-NO toothpaste that has the ADA seal of approval(Crest, Colgate) on it has any sugar in it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I Brush 2-3X/day or more, depending on what I ate, floss in the evenings, use mouthwash 2-3x/day and visit the dentist every 3-4months---because I have sensitive teeth and then there is not much to do at each visit and my mouth doesn''t feel uncomfortable during the cleanings. I also love my Sonicare toothbrush.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I brush AT LEAST 2 x day and floss/mouthwash daily. I''ve had professional whitening and my front teeth have been bonded. Unfortunately I grind my teeth while sleeping and I was wearing down the enamel horribly. Luckily no orthodontic care - I was blessed with crazy straight teeth. Now my smile is fixed and I sleep with a mouthguard. I keep floss in my purse.

My son flosses his teeth every night by himself - he''s five and he''s been doing it over a year (he uses those plastic hook/floss things). He''s one of those kids who needs antibiotics prior to cleaning/ work by the dentist, so we taught him early to take care of his dental hygiene!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I brush at least twice a day, usually more. I rarely floss (maybe once every couple of months). My mom used to make sure I went to the dentist every 6 months but lately its been more like every 2 years. I''ve never had a cavity though!

I''m kind of avoiding the dentist at the moment... last time I went they said I needed my wisdom teeth cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results