• 1. yes, always

• 2. sometimes, depends on the activity

• 3. no, never

Results are only viewable after voting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or are you rushing through life?
Many say happiness is being present in the moment and getting lost in whatever it is you are enjoying.
Do you allow yourself to be in each moment not thinking ahead or worrying about what is to come?

"

The Morning

March 2, 2024
Good morning. We know that happiness is to be found in taking our time and being present. How can we slow down and stop rushing our way through life?

mail
María Jesús Contreras​

Hurry up and wait​

Racing to catch a subway train recently, I tripped on the stairs leading to the platform, steadying myself only barely by grabbing the arm of an unsuspecting and rightfully alarmed fellow passenger. I sustained no major damage — a scraped knee, a bruise on my thigh I’d discover a week later. These injuries were, I told myself in the aftermath, well deserved. I’d disregarded one of my precepts for personal happiness, the one that stipulates, “Most misery is caused by rushing.”

My fall was the most basic evidence of this, a frying-pan-over-the-head reminder that running late and reckless from one place to the next puts one at risk of a spill. But there was also all the incidental unhappiness I’d incurred and inflicted in the lead-up: I’d been rushing to get out of the house, which put me in a foul mood. I’d been impatient with everyone I encountered on the way to the subway, adding some measure of unpleasantness to their mornings.

We rush because we’re late. We also rush because we want to move quickly away from discomfort. We rush to come up with solutions to problems that would benefit from more sustained consideration. We rush into obligations or decisions or relationships because we want things settled.

Worrying is a kind of rushing: It’s uncomfortable to sit in a state of uncertainty, so we fast-forward the tape, accelerating our lives past the present moment into fearsome imagined scenarios.

A friend and I remind each other regularly of a radio news segment she heard years ago. The reporter concluded the story, about a mess of delays on the Long Island Rail Road, with the line, “These commuters are ready for this day to be over, once and for all.” Of course the message was the commuters wanted to get home and have dinner and go to bed already. But the finality of “once and for all” made it sound as though the commuters were so fed up that they wanted to end that day and all days. Or, as my friend wrote: “Certainly at one point the day will definitely be over once and for all for each of us. Is that what we’re rushing toward?”

This obsession with being done with things, of living life like an endless to-do list, is ridiculous. I find myself sometimes having a lovely time, out to dinner with friends, say, and I’ll notice an insistent hankering for the dinner to be over. Why? So I can get to the next thing, who cares what the next thing is, just keep going. Keep rushing, even through the good parts.

In Marie Howe’s poem “Hurry,” she describes running errands with a child in tow. “Hurry up honey, I say, hurry,” she urges, as the little one scampers to keep up. Then she wonders: “Where do I want her to hurry to? To her grave? / To mine? Where one day she might stand all grown?”

This is not novel advice, to stop and smell the roses, to be here now, to slow down. But it’s not easily heeded. Our culture, now as ever, rewards hustle. The Silicon Valley maxim “Done is better than perfect” can be constructive when applied to procrastination. But we bring it to bear on situations in which “done” is not necessarily a desirable goal.

Since my subway incident, I’ve been trying to notice when I’m rushing, physically and psychologically. “Where are you going?” I ask myself. “And why are you in such a hurry?” That pause helps put a little space between here and there, and might, with any luck, avert future misery.

"​

I work on being present in the moment and enjoying each activity. That does bring me joy. It's one reason I love cycling by the sea. I can be truly present in that moment enjoying the sea breeze on my face and the gorgeous scenery as we fly by on our tandem. When I love an activity it does allow me to be uniquely present in that time without thinking about other things. However other times I am struggling with not rushing through just to get something accomplished. And I am guilty of looking ahead wishing challenging times away How about you? What activity allows you to be present in the moment? To experience joy and tranquility? Or is that something you have trouble doing? How has it changed for you over the years?

calvinandhobbesroses.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 7.19.27 AM.png

While I agree with all the author has written I do have one comment I have is about "the power of education"...unfortunately now, in schools, they are rewriting history to fit their agenda. The agenda that belongs to those who are donating billions of dollars and that agenda is not in the best interest of our country or our world. And they are making stuff up and rewriting history to brainwash others. So education is critical but it has to be factual

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
This is a timely topic for me. I packed up the dog and books and am having a staycation at the shore this weekend ( yesterday was long walks on the beach, today is cold and rainy ). I have 2 adult sons and when they were little, I had the clarity to know that the day would come that I would not be the center of their lives. So, I really dove in to enjoying them but also made a little time for myself to read or see friends knowing the empty nest era would be my time ( though my active parenting period lasted longer than most due to D1 football playing son and also both sons moving back home at different times ). Now it’s here and my husband is a workaholic and it’s hard to not get sucked into that mentality. If I’m at home, there are always things to do. So, I’m putting myself on my to do list first instead of last.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose option one which only became possible when I retired. Age and life experience has given me the wisdom to recognize and accept, without the guilt of my younger years, that taking care of myself and enjoying life to the fullest is the best use I can make of the time I'm given.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So with eerie timing I just found out a beloved colleague died yesterday. He was just 70 and in December he found out he had lung cancer. Now dead two months later, Unreal. He never retired and he always worked a brutal schedule. I am very sad he is gone as he had a lot of life left in him. He was not the typical 70 yo. He was in great shape and good health and but for this cancer diagnosis should have lived two more good decades :(

Time is promised to no one.
Live your life to the fullest and enjoy each day to the best of your ability

RIP Dr J

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I think it pi$$es God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it,"
--Alice Walker, from The Color Purple

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find being in nature grounds me and allows me to enjoy the moment in a way other environments do not allow.
No one else around but us and the wildlife is blissful and I am 100% in the moment when enjoying nature whether I am hiking, walking or cycling.
Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.08.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.07.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.07.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.04.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.04.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.05.17 PM.png

The ocean, the forest, and everything in between soothes my soul. The sounds, smells and sight of nature never cease to amaze me in a good way. Whereas humans never cease to amaze me in a bad way.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am semi-retired so that I don't have to work full time and miss out on leisure activities that I want to enjoy while I still can, mentally and physically.

The film Nomadland really struck a chord with me when I went to see it. By that time I had already decided on getting a RV and be semi-retired, rather than to work full time for another 15 or so years.

I guess the life changing moment was the sudden death of my late partner back in 2008. I regretted not spending more time with him when he was alive as I was busy climbing up the corporate fruit tree.

Life kind of slowed down a bit after his death, partly because I decided to keep his dog as my own, which meant I could not do stupid hours at work anymore.

About a year ago I had another contract. Although I was earning quite a bit, I did not have the opportunities to enjoy life, as nearly every piece of work that came in was urgent. More than once I thought I was not going to be able to honour my existing voluntary commitments. So the contract had to go.

Definitely have time to smell the roses nowadays.

DK :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this thread @missy
Very timely for me. I have always viewed myself as a planner, and half the fun of planning meant something to look forward to. Many times I caught myself ignoring the present in anticipation of the long awaited plans. I have many regrets now about that now. I lost my sweet Nala on Feb 11th. How I wish I could turn back time to my uneventful Sunday mornings spent cuddling with her. I was always so caught up with planning vacations, weekend getaways—not realizing that I was already happy.
In my current situation, I have a couple of weeks before I find out my diagnosis. I promise to try to live in the present and not rush to my imagined worst outcome.
I should use my planning skills to plan out these 2 weeks. Sprinkling in fun moments here and there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no better way to describe the way I’ve always lived.

It’s never been frenetic and when it was too busy, I left.

I grew up in the woods and farmland and that gives you a completely different perspective, I think.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This belongs here:

1709412203267.png

Feel free to laugh. On a more serious note...

About 5-6 years ago I started struggling with anxiety. It took me some time (and by "some time" think a couple of pretty unpleasant years) to figure out my anxiety was triggered exactly by this - rushing.

The moment I started consciously, deliberately slowing down, my anxiety eased up significantly.

It's not easy to leave old behavioural patterns behind. I've always rushed. Always pushed. So it's a "sometimes" for me, although I do make a concentrated effort to take things slow as often as possible, take notice of the world around me and find pleasure in it. Practice mindfulness, as they say.

Besides, mental health has a direct and profound effect on physical health. And my physical health has been far from stellar, so why make things worse, you know.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your poll had a 4th option-- "Usually"-- I would choose that.

(TL/DR: I would find this easier to do were it not for family members needing attention).

I find I am influenced by the family members I live with or care for. It was really hard during the 5 years I had to take care of my mother, who had Alzheimer's, and another close family member who had a serious health condition. My mind was going every which way during those years. I was constantly anticipating and putting out fires. Taking care of someone with dementia is like playing "Whack A Mole". The disease is always one step ahead of you and keeps you off balance. Mom passed on 9 years ago and the other family member's health issue eventually resolved. I have to say I did a lot better afterward, in terms of living in the moment.

Mothers with small children can relate, I think.

My husband has always been pretty chill compared to me, but since he retired he is even more so. However, he makes my day less chill. He often interrupts what I am doing because he needs or wants some information or other (I keep records and know where to locate information; he not so much) or he needs help figuring something out (usually technology related). So I drop what I am doing and help him out. This makes me feel more scattered and sometimes a bit stressed. I sometimes ask him to wait a bit but more often I just stop what I'm doing to attend to him.

An hour ago while I was occupied with writing something, he suddenly wanted to know how to scan a check for our tax records. I have shown him how to scan many times, but he does not remember how. I dropped my project and showed him again, and then I wrote detailed instructions for how to do it, and I emailed that to him for next time. I even had him scan another document just for practice, following the instructions I'd written. Then I once again had to show him where to find the folder containing our tax info on our shared desktop computer so he'd know where to scan it to. I fully expect that next time I will need to show him how again, anyway.

We're seniors and someday I may not be here to do things for him, so it's important that he be able to do these things for himself. So it's worth showing him, but it makes me feel scattered to have to drop what I am doing and thinking, to help him. Yes, I should be more flexible. But I'm not.

This is actually why I stay up late after he goes to bed. I need a block of time to think my own thoughts, or read, without interruptions.

While I was writing this, just now, he asked me if we have some red bell peppers. For the first time in years, he is trying to make supper. He loves crab cakes so I wrote out the recipe for him last month and bought all the ingredients, but he didn't make them at the time. He decided to make them for tonight. But we have no red bell peppers on hand-- I had 3 peppers but used them to make ratatouille the other day. So I left my computer to find some dried red bell peppers, measured out the right amount for him, and told him how to reconstitute them.

Now I'm picking up where I left off. Feeling scattered.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the thread title, I thought it was literally about smelling roses. :D I always stop and smell roses. Often, they aren't fragranced, which I think should be against the law. :lol:

For the rest of life, I typically start the day with contemplation / meditation. Lately, I've been doing some wall Pilates and yoga each morning after contemplating. I find these practices give me a good / balanced start to the day.

Anything physical (sports-wise) keeps me in the moment—mountain biking, hiking, also, rock climbing and windsurfing/sailboarding when I was younger and lived where I could do these things. When I was even younger, I grew up around horses and livestock—this also keeps one in the moment.

Even though my goal is to focus in the moment, of course I still plan for future events, travel, paying bills, etc. However, I tend not to live in the past, or live in the future. I have friends / family who live in the past—they still nurse hurts, and successes, and blah-blah-blah's from what I think is eons ago. Others I know live in the future, as in "When I'm _______, then I can _______." For me, both the aforementioned focuses seem like avoiding the present moment, and what life is bringing.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m very energetic, and have a get up and go type of personality, most people at work always say I walk with a purpose, and I try to get stuff done in efficiently and quickly. However, that is all so that I can stop several times a day to smell the roses.

I pull over on my commute to work sometimes, just to admire a rainbow, or snow capped mountains after a storm. I always take an hour lunch to go to the gym and get a healthy lunch, no matter how busy I am. And I make time for 2 long hikes every week, and prioritize my hikes over other social events. So yes, I definitely consider myself one who stops to smell the roses.

IMG_4049.jpeg IMG_1431.jpeg IMG_4003.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and I feel terribly guilty about it!

I’m a bit “slow going” by nature. Perfectly happy but sometimes I feel the stress of society’s expectations to be on the go. I’m trying to get over that and just be me.

Hubby and I are having a long lunch and a walk in the botanical gardens tomorrow. He likes to smell the roses figuratively and literally too!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking your time and enjoying the silence or your surroundings and focusing only on the task at hand -- these are luxuries that most can not afford. Retirement and/or financial self-sufficiency, not introspection or self-awareness, transformed many relatives of mine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking your time and enjoying the silence or your surroundings and focusing only on the task at hand -- these are luxuries that most can not afford. Retirement and/or financial self-sufficiency, not introspection or self-awareness, transformed many relatives of mine.

The quote by John Milton resounds strongly with me and respectfully, I disagree with what you wrote above.
"The mind is its own place and can make a heaven of hell and a hell of heaven"
I find this to be 100% true no matter your circumstances or who are are. IMO

Is it easy to do? No. But it is worthwhile. I have found, going through what anyone would objectively consider rough times, that while I could not control external factors I could control how I feel and react to circumstances beyond my control. And you know what? It really works. I cannot control many things but I am in control of my feelings and actions and yes, in my mind, I can be at peace. No matter the external factors. Is it always easy? No, not even close. Depending on what is happening it can be very challenging to do. But over the years I have slowly but surely come to the realization that my happiness, my joy, my peace comes from within.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and I feel terribly guilty about it!

I’m a bit “slow going” by nature. Perfectly happy but sometimes I feel the stress of society’s expectations to be on the go. I’m trying to get over that and just be me.

Hubby and I are having a long lunch and a walk in the botanical gardens tomorrow. He likes to smell the roses figuratively and literally too!

Do not feel guilty. Enjoy! Life is short. Enjoy the time we are here. In the long run think about what really matters in life. And I think many of us will find we stressed about things in life that truly have no consequence. I like the quote "don't sweat the small stuff" and the corollary "most of it is small stuff"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

(TL/DR: I would find this easier to do were it not for family members needing attention).

I find I am influenced by the family members I live with or care for. It was really hard during the 5 years I had to take care of my mother, who had Alzheimer's, and another close family member who had a serious health condition. My mind was going every which way during those years. I was constantly anticipating and putting out fires. Taking care of someone with dementia is like playing "Whack A Mole". The disease is always one step ahead of you and keeps you off balance. Mom passed on 9 years ago and the other family member's health issue eventually resolved. I have to say I did a lot better afterward, in terms of living in the moment.

My husband has always been pretty chill compared to me, but since he retired he is even more so. However, he makes my day less chill. He often interrupts what I am doing because he needs or wants some information or other (I keep records and know where to locate information; he not so much) or he needs help figuring something out (usually technology related). So I drop what I am doing and help him out. This makes me feel more scattered and sometimes a bit stressed. I sometimes ask him to wait a bit but more often I just stop what I'm doing to attend to him.

An hour ago while I was occupied with writing something, he suddenly wanted to know how to scan a check for our tax records. I have shown him how to scan many times, but he does not remember how. I dropped my project and showed him again, and then I wrote detailed instructions for how to do it, and I emailed that to him for next time. I even had him scan another document just for practice, following the instructions I'd written. Then I once again had to show him where to find the folder containing our tax info on our shared desktop computer so he'd know where to scan it to. I fully expect that next time I will need to show him how again, anyway.

We're seniors and someday I may not be here to do things for him, so it's important that he be able to do these things for himself. So it's worth showing him, but it makes me feel scattered to have to drop what I am doing and thinking, to help him. Yes, I should be more flexible. But I'm not.

This is actually why I stay up late after he goes to bed. I need a block of time to think my own thoughts, or read, without interruptions.

While I was writing this, just now, he asked me if we have some red bell peppers. For the first time in years, he is trying to make supper. He loves crab cakes so I wrote out the recipe for him last month and bought all the ingredients, but he didn't make them at the time. He decided to make them for tonight. But we have no red bell peppers on hand-- I had 3 peppers but used them to make ratatouille the other day. So I left my computer to find some dried red bell peppers, measured out the right amount for him, and told him how to reconstitute them.

I am sorry about all you have been through and caring for a loved one with Alzheimers has to be one of the most challenging experiences in life. Seeing their decline and trying to make each day a little better for them takes a very high toll. As for your DH I am like him in that Greg will show me how to do something and I have to have him repeat it every time I do it until many repetitions when I finally get it. But that is a story/thread for another day. Thank you for sharing and I hope the rest of your weekend is peaceful and pleasant and that you get time to yourself to do what you love doing

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m very energetic, and have a get up and go type of personality, most people at work always say I walk with a purpose, and I try to get stuff done in efficiently and quickly. However, that is all so that I can stop several times a day to smell the roses.

I pull over on my commute to work sometimes, just to admire a rainbow, or snow capped mountains after a storm. I always take an hour lunch to go to the gym and get a healthy lunch, no matter how busy I am. And I make time for 2 long hikes every week, and prioritize my hikes over other social events. So yes, I definitely consider myself one who stops to smell the roses.

IMG_4049.jpeg IMG_1431.jpeg IMG_4003.jpeg

I can relate to your post jayson's mom. I too walk with a purpose and in fact, whenever someone first meets me they are amazed how fast I walk. I find it hard to walk slow. LOL. My best friend Tom who moved here in 1985 when I first met him, had lots of trouble 1. understanding what I was saying (I talk fast too and with a NY accent and he is from Md) and could not keep up with me when we were out and about. Now he has no problem but I also have slowed down a bit and I work on not being in a hurry all the time. I always stopped to appreciate the beauty around us and smell those proverbial roses but was sort of frantic when younger and always accomplished a lot in a short period of time. I have many stories to share but will spare you for now. Suffice to say my professors (both clinical and academic) were in awe of how efficient I was and I took pride in that...it was hard for me to do things slowly and now I wonder if that was something to be proud of or related to an aspect of my being I had trouble controlling...again another thread for another day. I find being in nature really helps me slow down and appreciate everything around me. It slows my mind and brings me peace. Thank you for sharing and keep smelling those roses girl :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no better way to describe the way I’ve always lived.

It’s never been frenetic and when it was too busy, I left.

I grew up in the woods and farmland and that gives you a completely different perspective, I think.

I agree Monnie. Growing up in nature is a wonderful experience and I do think it brings a perspective unique compared to those who grew up in a different more frenetic environment. Nature is awe inspiring and how can it not affect us and how can we not marvel at all it has to offer. It is truly amazing and wondrous

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am semi-retired so that I don't have to work full time and miss out on leisure activities that I want to enjoy while I still can, mentally and physically.

The film Nomadland really struck a chord with me when I went to see it. By that time I had already decided on getting a RV and be semi-retired, rather than to work full time for another 15 or so years.

I guess the life changing moment was the sudden death of my late partner back in 2008. I regretted not spending more time with him when he was alive as I was busy climbing up the corporate fruit tree.

Life kind of slowed down a bit after his death, partly because I decided to keep his dog as my own, which meant I could not do stupid hours at work anymore.

About a year ago I had another contract. Although I was earning quite a bit, I did not have the opportunities to enjoy life, as nearly every piece of work that came in was urgent. More than once I thought I was not going to be able to honour my existing voluntary commitments. So the contract had to go.

Definitely have time to smell the roses nowadays.

DK :))

I am sorry for the loss of your partner and I can see how that would change one's perspective in and about life. I am glad you take the time now to smell the roses DK. Thank you for sharing

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose option one which only became possible when I retired. Age and life experience has given me the wisdom to recognize and accept, without the guilt of my younger years, that taking care of myself and enjoying life to the fullest is the best use I can make of the time I'm given.

Amen to this

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"I think it pi$$es God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it,"
--Alice Walker, from The Color Purple

Exactly :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a timely topic for me. I packed up the dog and books and am having a staycation at the shore this weekend ( yesterday was long walks on the beach, today is cold and rainy ). I have 2 adult sons and when they were little, I had the clarity to know that the day would come that I would not be the center of their lives. So, I really dove in to enjoying them but also made a little time for myself to read or see friends knowing the empty nest era would be my time ( though my active parenting period lasted longer than most due to D1 football playing son and also both sons moving back home at different times ). Now it’s here and my husband is a workaholic and it’s hard to not get sucked into that mentality. If I’m at home, there are always things to do. So, I’m putting myself on my to do list first instead of last.

Yasss! Glad to read this and good for you. It sounds like a perfectly blissful time...dog and book and tranquility. Nothing better than long walks on the beach and reading a favorite book and snuggling with our furry babies.,.Enjoy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this thread @missy
Very timely for me. I have always viewed myself as a planner, and half the fun of planning meant something to look forward to. Many times I caught myself ignoring the present in anticipation of the long awaited plans. I have many regrets now about that now. I lost my sweet Nala on Feb 11th. How I wish I could turn back time to my uneventful Sunday mornings spent cuddling with her. I was always so caught up with planning vacations, weekend getaways—not realizing that I was already happy.
In my current situation, I have a couple of weeks before I find out my diagnosis. I promise to try to live in the present and not rush to my imagined worst outcome.
I should use my planning skills to plan out these 2 weeks. Sprinkling in fun moments here and there.

Thank you Nala. I am glad you are enjoying this thread and that it is proving to be somewhat helpful. I am not immune to scary experiences regarding health issue and know how challenging it can be to compartmentalize when going through uncertain times. I am very sorry for your loss and can relate to what you are saying. Sometimes (often?) we don't realize what we are living is a blissful existence until we are over it and in more difficult times. I forget that quote about needing challenging times to appreciate the wonderful times. But all this to say is I can understand and am sending you lots of well wishes. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Nala and hoping for a very happy and relieved update. Gentle hugs

Piper70

Shiny_Rock

This was me for 18 months when my son, his wife, their toddler, and large barking dog moved in. Then they had another child. I was constantly interrupted by toddler and dog and couldn’t even find peace in the garden ( where I smell the actual flowers while caring for them ).
Today, I’m reading In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson on the deck and all I hear are birds chattering. It’s delightful.
Thanks Missy for the reminder to slow down!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results