color
clarity

Do you say height or heigth?

Do you say Height or Heigth?

• Height

Votes: 49 92.5%
  • Heigth

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • What’s the difference? I don’t see it.

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
In keeping with our theme of the day....please cast your vote.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always say crown height on a diamond.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The correct form is Height. IMHO.

savetheenglishlanguage.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
It is surprising how many times I hear educated people saying heigTH with a “th” sound in at the end. I’m pretty sure it is an ‘Merican thing because I don’t recall hearing people use Heigth until I moved to the US in college.

I think it comes from all other measurements ending with “th” like depth, length, width etc....but Heigth is a no no!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is surprising how many times I hear educated people saying heigTH with a “th” sound in at the end. I’m pretty sure it is an ‘Merican thing because I don’t recall hearing people use Heigth until I moved to the US in college.

I think it comes from all other measurements ending with “th” like depth, length, width etc....but Heigth is a no no!

Agree! It is one of my pet peeves!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard anyone say "heigth" before. This is actually a thing?

Really? Where are you from? I hear it from about 50% of Americans!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
I'm American and I have never ever heard anyone say "heigth". Ever.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well thank you
I now finally understand the question

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard anyone say "heigth" before. This is actually a thing?

Me either I've never heard any Aussie say it....

voce

Ideal_Rock
Really? Where are you from? I hear it from about 50% of Americans!

In all my 20+ years in California (spent some of my life in China, some in Massachusetts, and some in Canada), I've never heard anyone actually say heighth... I guess the people who do say it are in a completely different social strata or never have the occasion to say it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm American and I have never ever heard anyone say "heigth". Ever.

I've heard someone say it one time, and it was said in jest. "Omg, that was the heighth of rudeness!" Otherwise "height" seems to be the natural and correct pronunciation.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I live in the US; New Mexico to be exact & have never heard anyone say it with a "th" on the end.
It might just be in your state?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m Canadian. Today is the first time I've ever heard ‘heigth’ here on Pricescope. I never realized it was a thing.

I live in the US; New Mexico to be exact & have never heard anyone say it with a "th" on the end.
It might just be in your state?

Same here. Never heard the other version of height.
American born in NYC and living in the NE still.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've can only recall two people using "heighth." One was a childhood friend's father, who also pronounced gasoline with a "z" sound (gazoline). The other was a university professor who said heighth frequently. To this day, I hear him saying "heighth of the function" in my head whenever I instruct on f(x)!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Curious to know where @jaysonsmom has heard this mispronunciation so often. Must be a very regional thing.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m in Southern California. People I hear saying “heighth” are not necessarily uneducated. They’re paid back beach-y types.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results