shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you recommend photoshop?

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm using a macbook pro and wondering if my best option for photo editing beyond iphoto is adobe's photoshop. Also curious if there is an alternative to buying it for $$$? Am I missing the low frills $ version somewhere? My main focus is color correction/light balance editing, not say removing sailboats from backgrounds. Also, this would be for personal use, not setting up a business or anything. Thanks for your thoughts!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayachel|1321999504|3067041 said:
I'm using a macbook pro and wondering if my best option for photo editing beyond iphoto is adobe's photoshop. Also curious if there is an alternative to buying it for $$$? Am I missing the low frills $ version somewhere? My main focus is color correction/light balance editing, not say removing sailboats from backgrounds. Also, this would be for personal use, not setting up a business or anything. Thanks for your thoughts!

Your mac came with iPhoto.
I find it to be excellent for what you say you need.

Photoshop was very expensive so I bought Adobe's Elements - an entry-level Photoshop.
I went back to iPhoto and don't even use Elements anymore.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's worth getting cs or photoshop full if all you are doing is "low level" editing. I'm not sure how much aperture is but that may also be overkill. Elements is sufficient for anything non pro. But iPhoto may also be good for your needs unless you need more power or more advanced editing features

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kenny and Ame. I guess it's possible I just don't know how to adequately utilize iphoto. I'm coming from a place of having studied film based photography in undergrad, and gleefully jumped over to digital but haven't been able to replicate easily the adjustments I would normally have made in the dark room-like burning and dodging areas of a photo and perfecting the white balance. I was reading a bunch of reviews on the editing effects of a program called Kudoba, but then discovered it requires a min. of Adobe CS2 to work from.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do what I did.
Take a few pics you don't care about and start messing with them with iPhoto.

Mess with every control.
You can always reset it or just throw it away and start over.
There may even be tutorials on Youtube or apple's site.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use Lightroom for photo editing and it's great. If you just want to do basic photo editing and manipulate photos, not do things like as you said remove something or get really nitty gritty with details, I recommend it. You can free trial it for 30 days and a lot of times they have 50% off conversion deals so I think then it's under $100.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before you buy, download trials. Don't download/install until you are armed and ready to use...they usually expire 30 days from installation. Find tutorials on the web first and see how easy the basics are to learn and what you prefer.

Then, look at reputable sites like Amazon, etc. for the best deals. If you are a student and have ID, you can buy at an educational discount from resellers like Journey Education or Academic Superstore (they are the same company, btw).

Adobe can be harder to find discounts on. Everything else, you'll find some good deals this season.

I use PhotoImpact, but wouldn't recommend it with everything else out there. I only use it because I was trained on it. I don't love photoshop elements...but I need to get more training on it. Some people love Paintshop Pro too (I have a copy of that I've never used. )

asnkloma

Rough_Rock
yes,i agree with u.

deycorative

Rough_Rock
A computer repair person recommended a program called Gimp. It is free and a lot like Photoshop.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Photoshop Elements might be a good choice.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I love Aperture for the Mac. I agree that I did not find that iphoto offered all the functionality I needed. I bought the download only version of Aperture when it was released from the itunes store and it was only $79. I think it is regularly about $200, but well worth it in my opinion.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried PE and it really is a stripped version of Photoshop, so essentially you still have to take a tutorial or learn it to utilize it effectively. It's not very plug and play. Lightroom or I think, Aperture, are specifically for photo editing, so you can literally in like 3 clicks have an amazing photo (assuming your original photo was decent quality to begin with). iPhoto might be along these lines, not sure, but I haven't done any classes on Lightroom, been using it for a year and with a few online tutorials and some free presets (where you just apply a preset # of effects to the photo that are already saved on your computer), it's super easy and I've gotten a lot of compliments on photos.

Ditto getting a bunch of free trials... I did that with PE, and Lightroom. I'd check out Aperture if I had a Mac!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had photoshop on my windows laptop but hated to spend that much to get it for Mac laptop. I ended up getting PS elements and haven't found it lacking in anything i did in photoshop.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a great array of responses. Thanks so much everyone. Looks like I should try and study quickly to see if taking advantage of a black friday deal is in order. Looking into lightroom and aperture certainly seems in order. Thank you for helping me learn about some other options. When I figure it all out I will be sure to post back with what I chose and how it's working out.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I have, and use on a daily basis, Photoshop Elements. I manipulate photos for the web and create print ads for my company- Elements has everything I need and more EXCEPT that Elements does not work in CYMK color, only RGB. For printing, CYMK is the optimal choice and I will be switching to full Photoshop when I purchase a new computer (hopefully Friday!!) so I can work in CYMK.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, deycorative, for the Gimp suggestion. I had been looking for a free program that meets my needs. I just downloaded it and am
happy =)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad someone started this thread!

eta: I just got Lightroom on Amazon in the Lightening deal since it was so cheap. (it sold out in a matter of mins)

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I also got a black friday bargain for Elements on Amazon...54% off! Just decided to go for it based on the recommendations and the immediate bargain :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results