shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you prefer 6 prong or 4 prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had my RB set both ways and I definitely prefer 4 prongs. I think it makes the diamond look bigger because there''s less metal covering it up.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I like four prongs for a RB. Six looks spiky to me, especially on a smaller stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 prongs for a round.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I like 4 prong. My prongs are very delicate and I just feel you see all of the diamond and it doesn''t get lost. I also have it checked often because I am paranoid, but my jeweler has never found a problem with and said it would take the jaws of life to pry it loose.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
6....I love the look of a classic Tiffany Solitaire so I have special place in my heart for 6 prongs. To me, it''s more romantic looking and does make the diamond look round rather than how the 4 prong doesn''t seem to be as round looking(my diamond came in a 4 prong stuller, I immediately had it placed in the Excel Tiffany 6 prong, it looks so much more prettier and delicate). Swoon worthy!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like 4 prongs for a smaller diamond and 6 prongs for a larger one. I am having 6 prongs on my new setting. I just worry that the larger the diamond the more chance I have of bashing the girdle if I only have 4.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
6, when it''s put down on a table, it rests on metal. Just my opinion, since you asked for opinions.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
wow, it''s pretty split when it comes to 4 or 6 prongs!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
count me in the 6 prong camp - roundness etc.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 4-prong because my setting originally had an asscher in it, but I think that 6-prong settings make rounds look larger. I have been thinking about resetting my diamond into a six-prong with sidestones. For 4-prong settings, I really like a basket with double claw prongs, which is also a nice look.

hyer717

Rough_Rock
4-prong for sure. Looks cleaner to me.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
6 prongs.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 10:26:57 PM
Author: purrfectpear
It depends.

Size of diamond ( less than .50 I''d probably go with less prongs )
Type of head

I''m more interested in the shape of the prongs, than the number of them. I dislike blobby prongs, squarish prongs, and overly large prongs. I do like claw or pointed prongs, and the smallest prongs possible. I don''t worry about stone loss...I insure well
2.gif
I totally agree with PP. I''ve had 4 prong, 6 prong and now double claw prong (kind of 8 but really 4).
2.gif
I loved the open look of my 4 prong for my 1.77RB, *however*, I did manage to put a teeny nick on the girdle by whacking it repeatedly.
39.gif
So after that I went to a more protective setting because it really bothered me.

kamahsutra

Rough_Rock
Have to go with 6 prong. More rounded look for RB as stated previously by others.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:03:46 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
four prongs for me - although I wouldn''t say no to a Mark Morrell six prong
2.gif

Ditto!!!
9.gif

*´¨)
¸.• ´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•''Cachette
1.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 11:07:13 AM
Author: lyra
Date: 2/19/2009 10:26:57 PM

Author: purrfectpear

It depends.

Size of diamond ( less than .50 I''d probably go with less prongs )

Type of head

I''m more interested in the shape of the prongs, than the number of them. I dislike blobby prongs, squarish prongs, and overly large prongs. I do like claw or pointed prongs, and the smallest prongs possible. I don''t worry about stone loss...I insure well
2.gif

I totally agree with PP. I''ve had 4 prong, 6 prong and now double claw prong (kind of 8 but really 4).
2.gif
I loved the open look of my 4 prong for my 1.77RB, *however*, I did manage to put a teeny nick on the girdle by whacking it repeatedly.
39.gif
So after that I went to a more protective setting because it really bothered me.

That is something I am kinda afraid of ....

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i used to like 4 prong for the look and because i was afraid a 6 prong might crowd the diamond. someone i know has a 4 prong, and after wearing it for only 6 months her diamond fell out (and there was no memorable whack or occurance that she could think of that caused this). amazingly, she found the diamond, had it reset, and had the head reinforced (with ''bars'', it had none before). after that, i would choose 6 prong over 4 prong as feeling more secure outweighs liking the 4 prong look for me - i just know myself, that even with a check by an independent appraiser to ensure a secure set and insurance, i would just be too nervous to really enjoy a 4 prong.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
6 prongs for me! I love the more rounded look
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
4 prongs for me. 6 prongs is just too much metal for my taste.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:55:27 PM
Author: coatimundi
I like 6 for rbs--4 seem to square off the diamond to me too.

Ditto - have always preferred 6 prongs on RBs for this reason.

Plus, I had an RB pop out of a non-basket 4-prong setting a couple of times, so that makes me even more a fan of 6 prongs.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer 4 prongs as I like my view to be of less metal and more diamond!

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:28:26 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Date: 2/19/2009 9:55:27 PM

Author: coatimundi

I like 6 for rbs--4 seem to square off the diamond to me too.

Ditto - have always preferred 6 prongs on RBs for this reason.

Plus, I had an RB pop out of a non-basket 4-prong setting a couple of times, so that makes me even more a fan of 6 prongs.

The RB popped out of the basket setting?? How??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results