shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you prefer 6 prong or 4 prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
which prong do you guys prefer?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:32:07 PM
Author:Daisi2112
which prong do you guys prefer?

I personally like the 4 prong look over 6 prongs

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
oh yeah, and I forgot! Why do you prefer the prong setting you choose.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I like the 6-prong...I have a Marquise and it seems a lot more secure with 6 prongs.

Kat

DentD

Rough_Rock
If I had to go back to a prong setting for a RB I''d pick 6 over 4 any day of the week. 4 prongs on RBs always seem to "square" the diamond to my eyes.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I like 6 for rbs--4 seem to square off the diamond to me too.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
agree.. agree.. and agree...

6 prongs to me gives a more "symmetrically circular" look and feels more secure too...

imagine you accidentally knock 1 prong off of a 4-prong setting, theoretically you would end up with a 180o opening wide enough for the diamond to fall through..

do the same thing to a 6-prong setting, the opening would only be 120o wide and still able to hold your rock in place..

but this is just the little engineer guy in me speaking, a prong setting is a piece of art and we'll probably do better with some artist's perspections (light admissions, obstructions etc)...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I prefer 6, because it makes the diamond look more round and even though it probally psychological it makes me feel safer having 6 prongs rather then 4 :).

H

hlpkaixin3344

i like 4 because i feel 6 prongs "crowds" the diamond. i have diamond studs with 6 prongs and i want to change them to 4.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
For a RB, without a doubt, 4. There''s something about 6 prongs that just doesn''t look right to me. A 4-prong setting looks much sleeker and cleaner IMHO, and it also makes a round diamond look more square, which I prefer (my engagement ring is after all a princess!).

H

hlpkaixin3344

hmmm....dunno why i''m listed as anonymous user...

beach

Brilliant_Rock
4 prongs for sure. Why cover up a pretty diamond? A 4 prong setting is not less secure than a 6 prong setting. The prongs are actually thicker than 6 prong styles. Regardless of style, losing a stone is very rare, especially with platinum heads/prongs. You will see a loose stone before a lost stone. Every jeweler that I have spoken to says the 6 prong security argument is psychological, especially with platinum heads...

puffs_mom

Rough_Rock
I like 4 prongs. It makes my round stone alot bigger!!! 20% bigger.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It depends.

Size of diamond ( less than .50 I''d probably go with less prongs )
Type of head

I''m more interested in the shape of the prongs, than the number of them. I dislike blobby prongs, squarish prongs, and overly large prongs. I do like claw or pointed prongs, and the smallest prongs possible. I don''t worry about stone loss...I insure well
2.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
6 prongs for rounds over a carat, I do worry a 'little' w/4 prongs, easier to lose a stone imho, as I tend to be hard on my rings.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that 4 makes the RB look square so I prefer 6. That being said, I have a ring with 4 because its a 3 stone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I have an approx ~6.03mm or so rb and I think 6 prongs would be too many for this size stone. Maybe if it was 7mm or so I''d like 6. But I dunno...seems like too much metal hugging the stone.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the squared-off look of four prongs for a round diamond.

eternallyhis

Rough_Rock
I''m partial to 4 prongs, but thats because that''s what I have. To me, 6 prongs makes the diamond look smaller. Where with 4, the diamond is unobstructed and visable. It''s also a touch more modern IMO, just enough to update the look of a traditional solitaire. At least these were the thoughts that went through my head when I decided what I wanted my e-ring to look like.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Thought I''d chime in here... I personally like both styles of prongs. I do however think that 6 prong makes the diamond look a little more crowded. My e-ring is a 1.51 center stone with a four prong basket setting and I actually like that little ''square'' look the prongs give my RB (it''s also really easy to clean, I can get a soft bristle brush right underneath the diamond).

6 prongs usually make me feel like a diamond is more secure, however my 4 prongs are platinum... so that makes me feel better haha! I guess it all depends!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
For an RB, I definitely prefer 6 prongs for the reasons already stated - 4 prongs tend to square off the diamond.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
6-prong! i prefer a rounder look, 4-prong squares it off too much for me. 6 can also make the stone look bigger (unless it''s a smaller stone...then the prongs may be overwhelming). i''d choose a more open 6-prong setting that showcases the stone well, like the royal crown or tiff solitaire.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4 prongs for smaller stones, 6 prongs for larger. I like looking at the stone from the side, so I really prefer half bezels to prongs.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:39:05 PM
Author: Fly Girl
4 prongs for smaller stones, 6 prongs for larger. I like looking at the stone from the side, so I really prefer half bezels to prongs.

How small would be considered small? At what point does the stone qualify as large enough for 6 prongs?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wife has one of each in 14K wg setting. i''d prefer the 6 prong over the 4 prong.

a1939.JPG

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
4 prongs for me.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I am about to have 1 of each. I have a 6 prong on my .52 and it "crowds" the diamond, IMO. My upgrade is going to be 4 prong. I do like that it makes the diamond look bigger, and I like the slight contrast of it looking a bit squarish.
I do have a slight worry factor about a prong breaking off, but I suppose that is what insurance is for.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
four prongs for me - although I wouldn''t say no to a Mark Morrell six prong
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Four because there is less metal around the stone. I just like the look of four better.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:01:29 AM
Author: Noahsmom
I am about to have 1 of each. I have a 6 prong on my .52 and it ''crowds'' the diamond, IMO. My upgrade is going to be 4 prong. I do like that it makes the diamond look bigger, and I like the slight contrast of it looking a bit squarish.

I do have a slight worry factor about a prong breaking off, but I suppose that is what insurance is for.

If the prongs are made of platinum I am sure the diamond will be extremely secure. Above it says that 4 prongs are thicker so it will be as secure as a 6 prong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results