clarity

Do you like short hair?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1349089470|3277260 said:
kenny|1349032004|3276947 said:
... a thousand words ...

Kenny, I love Audrey Hepburn- she is the epitome of grace ands style and loveliness. And she does look stunning with the short do. But she looked stunning with any hairstyle that is for sure.
And I agree with you- I dislike long hair on all men and love short hair on some women.

I love love love short hairstyles on women when it works. So smart and sophisticated. In a way that no long hairstyle can ever be IMO.
I do not think my face would look good with a short hairdo and it has been over 25 years since I had one so I cannot imagine how it would look today on me. My dh loves long hair and would prefer I not cut it short and so far I have been OK with that but I sometimes dream of cutting it short. The real reason I don't is that I just don't think it would be flattering on me. But if I thought it would I would cut it all off in a New York minute! Such a pita sleeping with my long hair and it gets so tangled up in almost everything I do! :roll:
Though I do like wearing it back and also in a pony tail. That versatility is one big plus for me.

I think women should wear their hair exactly how they want to. Confidence is attractive no matter the style/length/color of one's hair. That quality always shines through!

Yes - that's it. Smart, sophisticated, and so chic!! Long hair has a more... sultry appeal, I guess?

DH likes mine long - the longer the better, as far as he's concerned. I pulled the plug on any further than just past the bottom of my shoulderblades - that's as far as it can go and still look healthy (and that's with lots of layers). I cut my own hair so keeping it relatively long and randomly layered makes things a lot easier - I can just kinda hack and it turns out fine ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1349094371|3277288 said:
... a thousand words ...

Kenny, I love Audrey Hepburn- she is the epitome of grace ands style and loveliness. And she does look stunning with the short do. But she looked stunning with any hairstyle that is for sure.
And I agree with you- I dislike long hair on all men and love short hair on some women.

I love love love short hairstyles on women when it works. So smart and sophisticated. In a way that no long hairstyle can ever be IMO.
I do not think my face would look good with a short hairdo and it has been over 25 years since I had one so I cannot imagine how it would look today on me. My dh loves long hair and would prefer I not cut it short and so far I have been OK with that but I sometimes dream of cutting it short. The real reason I don't is that I just don't think it would be flattering on me. But if I thought it would I would cut it all off in a New York minute! Such a pita sleeping with my long hair and it gets so tangled up in almost everything I do! :roll:
Though I do like wearing it back and also in a pony tail. That versatility is one big plus for me.

I think women should wear their hair exactly how they want to. Confidence is attractive no matter the style/length/color of one's hair. That quality always shines through!

ETA: vc10um- love your short do!

I agree that confidence is the most attractive thing. If a woman is confident, it shines through. Wear your hair how you are confident. And I admire women who can pull off short hair. I'm just not one of them!

Have you thought of sleeping with your hair in a loose braid? My hair does not tangle when I sleep but one of my daughters has thicker and longer hair than me and has that problem. She sleeps with it in a loose braid and in the morning no tangles.

Thank you for the suggestion asscherisme. I wonder what that would do to my curls though? My hair has been (one of) the bane of my existence for a while lol. When I was younger it was stick straight and then when I hit my twenties- bam- it became so curly. Ugh! Sleeping is really a problem for me with my hair as it always gets in the way and I always run hot so that doesn't help. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I would chop it off- to give me some cool relief at night! I am like the "princess and the pea" when trying to fall asleep and the slightest thing bothers me and interferes with me falling asleep. Sleeping with my hair wrapped or pinned might just be another interference but maybe it would help...thank you for your suggestion- I will post if it works!! :appl:

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
asscherisme|1349062380|3277194 said:
ieatbugs|1349048217|3277076 said:
stci|1348957421|3276617 said:
I mean really short hair for a woman? Do you have pictures of your short hair?

Yes if you've got the right head/face shape for it!

I used to have a pixy cut in high school but I got beaten up and someone accused me of being a transgendered man trying to pass for a woman. Gotta love the deep south.

Thats AWFUL!! And frankly, even if someone is transgendered, thats no excuse to harm someone for being who they are!

As for the original question. For myself I can't pull off short hair. I have tried several times and always regret it. However some women can pull it off. My aunt looks amazing in short hair, so does my neighbor. I'm a bit jealous. Seems so much easier. But for me its long or long/medium hair.

Agree. Gender roles are just silly, IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some women can pull it off well (facial structure AND body structure) but few are able to. I know this sounds discriminatory but the overall package counts. I've done it very short (no need to comb at all) and although it looks great, I miss having hair. :lol: I usually go short in the summer, then grow it out the rest of the year until summer comes along again.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Current haircut (pic slightly distorted in a wide way, but I can't seem to fix it). This is about the only thing my hair does, although I've tried just about everything else along the way!

_1143.jpg

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I think that it can be fabulous... if you have the right features. I think Michelle Williams looks amazing with short hair because she has such feminine, delicate features. The girl that cuts my hair has a buzzed head, and she looks fantastic. She also has a very edgy style, a heart-shaped face and big green eyes with dark black/brown hair.

I think you also need to make sure that you go to a hairstylist that you trust and who understands both your personal style and your hair's texture so that they can give you a cut that you can easily style at home (without having to spend an hour on it) and also gives you a syle that suits your personal style--you wouldn't want chunky, spiky hair if your style is conservative/preppy!

My hair is medium texture and thickness with natural waves and a lot of volume. It's a lot easier for me to deal with my hair when it's long. I can put some anti-frizz serum in it and let it air-dry. When it's shorter it gets too puffy and I HAVE to blow dry or it looks like a hot mess.

Here are a couple websites I found that have tons of photos of different styles you can browse:

http://www.1001-hairstyles.com/

http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/short/fall.html

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1349098140|3277319 said:
... a thousand words ...

I agree that confidence is the most attractive thing. If a woman is confident, it shines through. Wear your hair how you are confident. And I admire women who can pull off short hair. I'm just not one of them!

Have you thought of sleeping with your hair in a loose braid? My hair does not tangle when I sleep but one of my daughters has thicker and longer hair than me and has that problem. She sleeps with it in a loose braid and in the morning no tangles.

Thank you for the suggestion asscherisme. I wonder what that would do to my curls though? My hair has been (one of) the bane of my existence for a while lol. When I was younger it was stick straight and then when I hit my twenties- bam- it became so curly. Ugh! Sleeping is really a problem for me with my hair as it always gets in the way and I always run hot so that doesn't help. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I would chop it off- to give me some cool relief at night! I am like the "princess and the pea" when trying to fall asleep and the slightest thing bothers me and interferes with me falling asleep. Sleeping with my hair wrapped or pinned might just be another interference but maybe it would help...thank you for your suggestion- I will post if it works!! :appl:

My hair gets terribly tangled and it's been way too hot here to sleep with my hair down. I twist it into a bun on top of my head (I actually tie it in a big knot) and secure it with a hair pin. Not bobby pins--those longer, thicker metal pins. The Goody spin pins work well too, from what I have heard. Then when I let my hair down in the morning it's bouncy and wavy.

Pillow rollers work well for me and are comfortable for me to sleep in. I just roll my hair when it's slightly damp, then wrap my head with a scarf or bandana to keep them from coming loose. I wake up with big, fat curls:

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Style-Satin-Pillow-Rollers/dp/B000VDES6I

I have also tried the "sock bun" method, but my hair is very silky and it "dents" easily--like when I put an elastic in it it gets a dent, or if I am not careful with the ends when I hot roll it it gets weird crinkles. If your hair is on the coarser side I highly reccomend trying this. It's very comfortable to sleep in and if you do a you tube search you can see how cute it can be.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missy|1349098140|3277319 said:
... a thousand words ...

My daughter's hair is soooo curly strangers stop her all the time to comment on it. It is curly curly curly and the loose braid actually calms it down. Her hair tends to frizz and the braid in the morning leaves it with less frizz and the curls fall nicely. Its worth a try! She runs hot too. She sleeps with a sheet only when I'm using a comforter! She loves her long hair but can't deal with the heat of sleeping with it loose. Definately post if it works!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Tuffy- my hair is fine and silky and dents too LOL- it's a real PITA. Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try the bun on top of your head method- sounds like it may work. I am just concerned that I don't pull at my scalp because I already feel that my hair is thin and don't want to cause any damage. I think it's called tension/traction alopecia when the constant tightness at the scalp causes hair loss.

I will definitely post the results if it works asscherisme. It is worth a try for sure. I really appreciate the suggestions because it is interfering with my sleep and my marriage LOL since I keep my dh awake while I am tossing and turning and moving my hair all around! :oops:

Your daughter's hair sounds beautiful actually and it sounds like she has a handle on it early in life so she's ahead of the game. :appl:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Missy--I don't think you have to worry too much about traction alopecia with the bun method. I don't make a really tight bun--a loose bun works fine because the hair pins or spin pins will keep it from falling out. It's actually better to do a loose bun if your hair is fine and silky because you don't get dents. another possible option for you is rag curlers. This is something that I do occasionally and it works well. Again, there are good tutorials on youtube. Looks like you've got some good options to try!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love short hair on some women, and I wish I could pull off a pixie cut. My favorite cut ever is the Vidal Sassoon bob:

http://cllctr.com/image/baa8f2689b374b30216cd37df4ea3add/576

I wore my hair in that bob for years. I still have the magazine page I ripped out with this very picture when I must have been around age 12. Too bad I look so much better with long hair.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that some girls/women can carry it off and others can't. My sister had a super short 'do in high school and it was adorable (picture almost a man's hair cut). I, on the other hand, have incredibly coarse, kinky hair that I get chemically straightened just so it doesn't give me a rash on my neck!!

I am overall a low maintenance person, but my hair is so high maintenance...I can't stand it! I've actually thought about shaving it all off and getting a wig, but have been too afraid that if it was awful, I don't know what I'd do until my hair was long enough to blow dry/flat iron it straight.

I totally envy anyone who has "wash-n-go" hair. I'd give up every piece of bling I own :shock: to have hair like that. :roll:

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I love it on other people. I don't think I look that great with short hair. I have two sisters. My older sister absolutely looks best with short hair. She really doesn't look good with long hair. I look much better with long hair, and my younger sister looks great both ways. The younger sister and I look exactly alike, but somehow she can pull off short hair and I can't. I've never been able to figure that out!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1349128406|3277628 said:
I think that some girls/women can carry it off and others can't. My sister had a super short 'do in high school and it was adorable (picture almost a man's hair cut). I, on the other hand, have incredibly coarse, kinky hair that I get chemically straightened just so it doesn't give me a rash on my neck!!

I am overall a low maintenance person, but my hair is so high maintenance...I can't stand it! I've actually thought about shaving it all off and getting a wig, but have been too afraid that if it was awful, I don't know what I'd do until my hair was long enough to blow dry/flat iron it straight.

I totally envy anyone who has "wash-n-go" hair. I'd give up every piece of bling I own :shock: to have hair like that. :roll:

I rarely do anything with my hair besides washing it (its long and naturally wavy). I will gladly trade you my hair for your bling collection :naughty: :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just a matter of time before I have to get the short "old lady hair cut". It will be an attempt to make it look like my jowls aren't sagging and my chin isn't sliding down. It will be a sad day.

My MIL had extremely short hair, about 1/2 inch long all around, her hair was white. Looked great on her.

I don't think I'm going to have that kind of luck.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've had a pixie cut twice. Growing it out is such a pain that I don't think I'll do it again. I don't really have the face for it. Nor the skin--I think you have to have great skin to pull off really short hair. I am one of those people who never has a particular hairstyle. I am always cutting and coloring my hair in different ways.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1349105887|3277395 said:
Current haircut (pic slightly distorted in a wide way, but I can't seem to fix it). This is about the only thing my hair does, although I've tried just about everything else along the way!

D*J, that cut is very flattering on you! I've been debating going shorter, but I won't do that until I find a new stylist I'm comfortable with...oh the perils of moving half way across the country! :errrr:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yup, love my short hair..it is a problem when it gets too long! Half way down this page is a picture of the back of my hair right before a hiarcut, so it is much longer than at present. I prefer less bulk/weight--since I have so much hair that grows rather quickly.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lets-see-the-faces-behind-the-ps-screen-names.87517/page-46']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lets-see-the-faces-behind-the-ps-screen-names.87517/page-46[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I will admit that I cut my hair short at 40 just because it was so much easier to take care of with a small child at home. I have tried to grow it out numerous times since then ( I am almost 56) and it just does not look good on me. I have fine straight hair and an elongated face, very long neck, and I am over 5'8" tall. I have not cut my hair in almost 3 months mainly because my friend and hairdresser no longer can cut hair due to carpal tunnel syndrome and I just can't seem to find the right salon. I will say though that the last person who cut my hair did a pretty good job in that I don't have to blow dry my hair or use any product other than a little gel in my hair. I like him, but I don't like the salon.

I think if you stay contemporary whether short or long you will look good. I know women who kept their same styles for decades and it no longer works for them. You can have either long or short as long as long as you have a great cut that flatters your face shape, hair texture, and lifestyle.

BTW, I consider short anything above the jaw.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The right short cut on the right face looks fabulous. I've seen many really sophisticated short hairdos that I just loved -- but never on me; my face is too round. A pixie specifically, though, is very hard to wear -- A. Hepburn one of the few who look great in one; as Missy said, she couldn't look bad if she tried. The only other woman I can think of offhand who can rock a pixie is Halle Berry, who also can't be ugly no matter what.

Yeah, Kenny, long hair doesn't do men any favors!

--- Laurie

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE short hair. I tried growing my hair once, till the waist, but it just wasn't me. Short cropped hair is more in keeping with my personality and lifestyle. Plus it's really easy to manage.

mlshort.jpg

IMO short hair on the wrong face shape ages women. Then again, long, scraggly hair looks terrible too.

I recently cut off 9 inches of hair because I've been SO SICK and taking care of my hair was just taking too much time. I feel like I look older now. Ehhhh.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a round face, but I have a very large head and short hair-dos will excentuate my big noggin i think, so I've always kept my hair long, the shortest being chin length. I remember reading about a model (i think it was either Rebecca Romijn Stamos or Tyra Banks) saying something about her big head resembling a lightbulb, and that she could never have a pixie cut.....I took that to heart, because I had the same type of face/head.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
older women have shorter hair.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Not all older women have short hair - although my Mother thinks they should! I stopped fighting my hair about ten years ago; it's very long (to my waist wet), very curly and platinum/white/blonde. It is much easier for me to wash & go than it was with short hair. Three years ago I cut it all off. My friends (and I) missed my hair- to them it is just part of my personality. My son once told someone at a beer fest to look for a lady with 'crazy blonde hair' - they found me in about five minutes. So, there ya go!

Astra

Rough_Rock
DiaDiva|1349686421|3281372 said:
I LOVE short hair. I tried growing my hair once, till the waist, but it just wasn't me. Short cropped hair is more in keeping with my personality and lifestyle. Plus it's really easy to manage.

Looks like you're holding "Ožujsko limun" beer in your hand :bigsmile:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1349018451|3276838 said:
I really like short hair on some women.

I never like long hair on any man.

Ditto!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Astra|1349873281|3282697 said:

:bigsmile: Yes, I was. It was quite delicious and Dubrovnik is just stunning!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You look GORGEOUS with short hair, really suits you since you have stunning features! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

Astra

Rough_Rock
DiaDiva|1349954312|3283176 said:
Astra|1349873281|3282697 said:

:bigsmile: Yes, I was. It was quite delicious and Dubrovnik is just stunning!

Oh, I know... I'm in Dubrovnik at least twice a year... :bigsmile: :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results