shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a shopping problem?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a mission shopper. When I want something I go on a MISSION. Black pants? Ten pair! Tops? Every color! Inexpensive jewelry that comes in both gold and silver tones -- of course! House stuff: throws, baskets, towels, etc., etc., etc.

Veni Vedi Visa...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Does coffee (properly served by someone else) & books count? Admitedly, my go-to reading doesn't cost anything - at least not to me... Immagine the pile of shopping without having to pay. Fortunately some of this is work & it is jolly good.

As for other shopping - it is nice to know where the good stuff is & go get it when need arises or lightening strykes.

Last edited:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep. While I own that I have that issue, especially impulsively, but ANYTHING I buy becomes a huge issue in my house. ANYTHING.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an anti-shopping problem. I grew up in a household that was fastidious about paying bills etc. but was often strapped and didn't have a concept of budgeting or saving for the future. My mom didn't work and spent money like we had extra...and on credit. It is hard for me to spend on superfluous items. I try to remind myself life is short and I've been responsible and it's ok to treat myself within reason. The one thing I tend not to skimp on though is travel. =)2

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve always lived within our means so no. That being said I have also always bought more clothes than I need. The last year I have bought close to nothing as my body has changed. I need to go out and buy new clothes so I have more things that fit but my enthusiasm is completely out the window as I don’t like how I look in anything. Oh the joys of getting older and coming to terms with the fact that our bodies really do change with age.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your trigger @pearaffair? I used to do retail therapy quite a bit because my job has always been very stressful and I wanted to treat myself. Marketing does work and there are lots of highly paid people constantly coming up with very creative ways to get us to spend money. I recently blocked all promo shopping emails to stop temptation and stopped going to the mall just because. That seems to have helped a lot. TBH, I have enough linens, blankets, dishes, clothes and shoes to last a very long time.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't really like shopping in person. I do buy stuff online, but a lot of the Amazon boxes are household stuff.

I really don't go shopping or spend money on fun stuff, other than jewelry and dresses. There is a brand called Karina that makes dresses that are very figure flattering for me and they are vintage-y looking. I am a sucker when they come out for new prints. I don't really ever wear jeans or pants, except for lounge type pants around the house or to do yard work. Anywhere else, I wear a dress, because I am apparently odd.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a plan where if I bring something new into the house, something else has to leave. It's partly because I have a small house. Partly because I want to use and love the things I do buy. Sort of KonMarie, but mostly just practical. We're headed to retirement, and I want to only have things we love that will last a long time.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I have a SEVERE shopping problem, and I'm impulsive to boot. Last weekend, I decided to buy a whole new patio set, BBQ, fire pit etc to spruce up our backyard, so that my teenage kids can hangout with friends at our place over summer break. Then on Thursday, I decided to book a spontaneous family vacation to Oahu in a few weeks, because we've never been to Hawaii as a family. I spent over 10K in one week....but in all fairness, these things were for the whole family, and not myself.

That sounds absolutely inspired, not impulsive at all. The minute you saw a need, had a vision and a dream for your family's well-being and joy, you acted on it. I love it, and you sound like a great mother.

I have the opposite problem...I'm too hesitant.
I need to borrow a page from you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really like shopping in person. I do buy stuff online, but a lot of the Amazon boxes are household stuff.

I really don't go shopping or spend money on fun stuff, other than jewelry and dresses. There is a brand called Karina that makes dresses that are very figure flattering for me and they are vintage-y looking. I am a sucker when they come out for new prints. I don't really ever wear jeans or pants, except for lounge type pants around the house or to do yard work. Anywhere else, I wear a dress, because I am apparently odd.

I'm odd too then because a dress is my go to. 8)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a plan where if I bring something new into the house, something else has to leave. It's partly because I have a small house. Partly because I want to use and love the things I do buy. Sort of KonMarie, but mostly just practical. We're headed to retirement, and I want to only have things we love that will last a long time.

My dh does this with clothes and other possessions. If he buys new shirts then other shirts need to go. He is very organized. I am not at all organized. I want to be him when I grow up.

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
i have a clearance shopping problem especially when it's 75-90% off. It's not healthy and I've been trying to stop going to the stores all together to avoid the clearance isles.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to spend a lot on clothes and high-end bags. I never spent outside my means but I was definitely buying things I didn't need. Starting about 3 years ago, I began to realize that the clothes and bags I already had were quite nice and I didn't need any more. Not only that, I started to care less about those things....I gradually lost interest in wearing the latest trends. Now, I only buy new clothes about 1-2x/year and even then, it's only for necessities. I've bought 1 new handbag in the last 3 years and it was not high-end.

I gotta say, it's a very liberating feeling to no longer care about those things. It's one less thing to covet and obsess about!! I do still take care with my appearance and make sure I look tidy and polished, but that's good enough. I don't have to be stylish or Instagram-worthy because that stuff doesn't matter.

Now as for jewels? I prefer to think of it as being a collector of art pieces rather than a "shopping problem." :mrgreen2: I don't spend constantly but I do buy myself a little something (or re-set something) about once every 2 years. I also consign pieces that I no longer wear. Jewels genuinely bring me joy and as long as I spend within my means and spend very very selectively, I'll continue to do it until the day I die!

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
41834DC4-49BE-429C-937A-024FEEB26451.jpeg 04E4CF1A-87AB-4D34-889F-FD82B1BCC1F2.jpeg Most definately.
I’m a collector and a forager. My thing is to seek out bargains and/or complete or increase my various “collections”. Some collections have been a work in progress for 40 years.
I set myself certain challenges and work on fulfilling them. My most recent, and long standing completed challenge was a big aquamarine ring under $1,000. That took 15 years. Another completed challenge was larger size opal earrings under $500. That also took about 10 years.
I have no “outstanding jewellery” acquisition challenges. If you saw just how much stuff I have you’d agree no more is necessary.
My ceramic collections include Clarice Cliff, Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre, Lalique, Carlton Ware Moonlit Cameo, and any Rouge background vases from 1920s to 1940s. I collect vintage watches, I collect vintage compacts with watches or music boxes. I collect small size travel clocks. I collect Japanese Puzzle boxes, I collect gem / mineral specimens, I collect way way too much.
My current search is for a white gold or platinum diamond brooch. I bought a diamond bracelet that is too short so I want to extend it by placing a brooch into it. My budget is $500 and it has to look impressive.
That aqua was under a thousand dollars?? You are quite the bargain shopper. Teach me your ways.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F58015B2-97D6-43DE-8AB0-0A763569C640.jpeg 43FD0528-F3AD-4948-B2AF-BD6EE8ABC83F.jpeg 4FC7208B-5EFF-4109-AB4F-C03D5453C56C.jpeg Yes, $800 with a matching pair of earrings. The first photo is the vendors photo. Not a good photo!
It requires considerable sleuthing and luck. I look for mislabeled or unlabeled items on eBay, Gumtree or at Auction and make a judgement call on what the Gem is likely to be. While synthetics abound, if the setting is higher gold carat, great quality and I can estimate the age of the piece I can be more confident I am buying natural not fake. No guarantees of course.
However with eBay auctions you never know who might also “spot” your find and bid against you. I have missed out on dozens and dozens of items over the years.
With the ring and matching earrings (screw on) I estimated the piece circa 1960s / 1980s. The pieces are hand made, not cast, and considerable gold was used. The gem in the ring had a more green cast. This is not typical of blue topaz but is more typical of aquamarine. Still no guarantee so my top bid of $1,065 was based on gold weight and quality of the ring and earrings and what I was comfortable paying for blue topaz as the gems.
So I scored.

Attachments

• DC8D4370-04FF-4884-BDB7-32DC7303A816.jpeg
    DC8D4370-04FF-4884-BDB7-32DC7303A816.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 8

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
That sounds absolutely inspired, not impulsive at all. The minute you saw a need, had a vision and a dream for your family's well-being and joy, you acted on it. I love it, and you sound like a great mother.

I have the opposite problem...I'm too hesitant.
I need to borrow a page from you!

I like the way you think! Makes me feel better about my shopping problem :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to gemstones that's my Achilles heel shopping wise where I can't help myself :shifty: But with everything else no, I actually don't like shopping that much at all.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately its feast or famine for me, I either go extreme either way... we call it "army mode" where we just save and try not to spend on anything that doesn't keep us alive... or we splurge ( I don't just buy one pair of shoes, I buy many at a time, then stop for several years, same with bling)... I tend to get tired easily with spending on projects and stop cold turkey back to saving mode.... this was a big year with landscape projects, flooring and bling... but the last couple of years I didn't buy any bling or remodeled anything, once the flooring is put in, I will end up back into hibernation mode.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than VCA, a superideal MRB that is a huge “wish”, high end designer stuff, no problem at all. In 2019, I updated my purse collection. Prior to 2019 I hadn’t bought an expensive purse in several years. VCA is an addiction. I admit. Clothes, only to not look out of date. I appreciate cute clothes but won’t buy designer if not on at a huge discount and not something I absolutely LOVE and not something I would get a LOT of wear out of. That’s true for everything I buy.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I do, but only jewelry. Clothes are easy, I'm a blue jeans, casual gal and wear scrubs for work. I lost interest in designer bags a few years ago, and love my little $100 crossbody. But jewelry, now that's a weakness . I like finding deals and I love buying vintage and antique pieces. Proud to say I haven't bought any jewelry in a week!
(Until tonight. But it was a steal:twisted2:)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go through phases where I buy jewelry that I probably won't wear later.

Reactions: D&T

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another oddball, because I have lots of dresses :lol:

As for having a problem, no, it’s not a problem for me to shop at all :roll2::whistle:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes and yes.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your trigger @pearaffair? I used to do retail therapy quite a bit because my job has always been very stressful and I wanted to treat myself. Marketing does work and there are lots of highly paid people constantly coming up with very creative ways to get us to spend money. I recently blocked all promo shopping emails to stop temptation and stopped going to the mall just because. That seems to have helped a lot. TBH, I have enough linens, blankets, dishes, clothes and shoes to last a very long time.

My trigger is feeling like a hot mess as an accidental stay at home mom. I am always looking for a treat or reward for some of the thankless tasks involved with raising a toddler!

Not my kid’s fault, I’m not saying that. I’m just not built to be a SAHM and so I end up feeling really insecure about myself. Buying nice things is a distraction.

I used to spend a lot on clothes and high-end bags. I never spent outside my means but I was definitely buying things I didn't need. Starting about 3 years ago, I began to realize that the clothes and bags I already had were quite nice and I didn't need any more. Not only that, I started to care less about those things....I gradually lost interest in wearing the latest trends. Now, I only buy new clothes about 1-2x/year and even then, it's only for necessities. I've bought 1 new handbag in the last 3 years and it was not high-end.

I gotta say, it's a very liberating feeling to no longer care about those things. It's one less thing to covet and obsess about!! I do still take care with my appearance and make sure I look tidy and polished, but that's good enough. I don't have to be stylish or Instagram-worthy because that stuff doesn't matter.

Now as for jewels? I prefer to think of it as being a collector of art pieces rather than a "shopping problem." :mrgreen2: I don't spend constantly but I do buy myself a little something (or re-set something) about once every 2 years. I also consign pieces that I no longer wear. Jewels genuinely bring me joy and as long as I spend within my means and spend very very selectively, I'll continue to do it until the day I die!

Liberating. That’s exactly the life I’m looking for. I can totally imagine that feeling of not having to devote time and energy and emotion to the coveting and obsessing. Blargh!

I go through phases where I buy jewelry that I probably won't wear later.

I’m guilty of that, too.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Help! I’m about to drop another few $$$ on a used baby grand piano! My teens and I all play, and I just saw a beautiful second hand baby grand that has an auto-player (for my husband who loves piano music but can’t play)....I need intervention!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I realized I do have an addiction to Beyond Yoga work out clothes.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I'm pretty frugal and have a hard time spending money on myself. I always want to save it instead. Or I buy something, but I end up returning it, convincing myself I don't really need it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
they say this stuff has no value as it was sold on mass but i can tell you it did not cost nothing to accumulate, especially the items relating to Victoria and Edward 7th & Queen Alexandra
and this doesn't include all the plates waiting to go on a wall
thank goodness my OH has no idea what i spent over the years
but i get pleasure in looking at it and rearranging it
i have more than a few double ups i should probably sell - there are so many variations on a theme id think i was buying a saucer to match a cup and it would turn out to be a different pattern to what i expected

with 2 generations downsizing at once right now the market is full of Granny's royal memorabilia that alot of families just arnt intetrsted in
it sat mostly unused in the nation's granny's china cabinets all those years its kind of sad
-the tea pot had dedinatly been used at some point

anyway its arranged loosely by reign with the exception of the Queen mum who is purposely nowhere near her BIL the Duke of Windsor (he is hidden behind his parents in disgrace)
20190624_155451.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results