shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a shopping problem?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a SEVERE shopping problem, and I'm impulsive to boot. Last weekend, I decided to buy a whole new patio set, BBQ, fire pit etc to spruce up our backyard, so that my teenage kids can hangout with friends at our place over summer break. Then on Thursday, I decided to book a spontaneous family vacation to Oahu in a few weeks, because we've never been to Hawaii as a family. I spent over 10K in one week....but in all fairness, these things were for the whole family, and not myself.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely do! But I try not to think of it as a problem- I like to think of it as an inborn craving for beautiful things.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but it's definitely usually sub $100, and only useful practical items, usually bought vintage. Or books. Are books considered a shopping addiction? If our library actually ever had anything it would be a viable solution. I don't like e-books these days. :confused2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
41834DC4-49BE-429C-937A-024FEEB26451.jpeg 04E4CF1A-87AB-4D34-889F-FD82B1BCC1F2.jpeg Most definately.
I’m a collector and a forager. My thing is to seek out bargains and/or complete or increase my various “collections”. Some collections have been a work in progress for 40 years.
I set myself certain challenges and work on fulfilling them. My most recent, and long standing completed challenge was a big aquamarine ring under $1,000. That took 15 years. Another completed challenge was larger size opal earrings under $500. That also took about 10 years.
I have no “outstanding jewellery” acquisition challenges. If you saw just how much stuff I have you’d agree no more is necessary.
My ceramic collections include Clarice Cliff, Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre, Lalique, Carlton Ware Moonlit Cameo, and any Rouge background vases from 1920s to 1940s. I collect vintage watches, I collect vintage compacts with watches or music boxes. I collect small size travel clocks. I collect Japanese Puzzle boxes, I collect gem / mineral specimens, I collect way way too much.
My current search is for a white gold or platinum diamond brooch. I bought a diamond bracelet that is too short so I want to extend it by placing a brooch into it. My budget is $500 and it has to look impressive.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband seems to think I do! :roll2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Sheepishly raises hand) :oops2:

To be fair though I mainly shop vintage so I consider my efforts my obligation at reducing waste and being environmentally conscious.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty frugal actually! I would love to be able to afford a shopping problem :cry2::lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I have a retail shopping problem. New stuff does not excite me.
However, I love thrift and/or discount stores.
Like @StephanieLynn, I refuse to contribute to the landfills :lol:
However, I do have a pre-loved jewelry problem.........

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I have a retail shopping problem. New stuff does not excite me.
However, I love thrift and/or discount stores.
Like @StephanieLynn, I refuse to contribute to the landfills :lol:
However, I do have a pre-loved jewelry problem.........

Is it really a problem though? Someone has to keep the haul thread going :twisted2:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 OMG that Aqua ring is to die for! :love:

I am pretty frugal actually! I would love to be able to afford a shopping problem :cry2::lol:

This is literally me - I love shopping, I just can't afford to frequently so I buy little things or enjoy charity/thrift shopping. Think overall I'm pretty restrained...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, @lyra turned me on to this new phrase, practical vintage. Clearly you can't have a shopping problem with practical in the title so I subscribe to that practice ;)2

Q

Queenie60

The way I see it - I have about 30 to 40 years left on this planet and I'm going to enjoy each and every year. And since my budget allows me to have nice things, If I don't, my kids will when I'm gone!!!!:dance:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way I see it - I have about 30 to 40 years left on this planet and I'm going to enjoy each and every year. And since my budget allows me to have nice things, If I don't, my kids will when I'm gone!!!!:dance:
Same. Lol. So it’s definitely not a problem. Lol.

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
:$$): Yes.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, pretty frugal.
I like to browse but rarely buy.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Yes I have a problem ................. I don't like shopping!

In store, online, doesn't matter. Having too many options is stressful for me. It takes me forever to make a decision for even the smallest of items. And I don't like dealing with returns.

If my husband didn't buy all our groceries I would likely starve to death. :lol:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure, although I would also call myself a collector; of jewellery, Clarice Cliff and art (mostly paintings). I seem to have stopped buying “stuff”, like clothes and household items as my cupboards are full and I think I have everything I need already!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
My mother was a shopaholic with drawers and drawers full of jewelry she never wore, and every closet in the house jam-packed with clothing she wouldn't wear. She had to declare bankruptcy twice and lost a house due to her spending and shopping addiction. Because of these experiences, I am the complete opposite. I go shopping only when I absolutely have to or need something in particular. Shopping malls are torturous for me and I'd give a kidney not to have to go in them. The only kind of in-person shopping I really enjoy is food shopping. :oops:

...However, I do have a pre-loved jewelry problem.........
And I do too....the good thing though is that when I get an item, I don't always love it, so I only buy from those with return policies, and I only keep what I really love.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I'd have a shopping problem but please don't tell my wife. :shhh: This single 1907 $20 gold piece cost as much as the 3.34ct diamond on her finger..:shhh:

25877.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think:..Really??, So the CBIs you posted are fakes? :bigsmile:

I am talking about shopping in general when we are on vacation. I may buy a tee-shirt or cap for hubby but that's normally it. I am not into trinkets or fashion. These expedition cruises on Silversea cruises are expensive, more than 50k each. At this point in our lives, it is more about visiting places we haven't seen before.

All 5 CBIs are real, but Queen Pari was a bargain, lol. So when are you upgrading yours @Dancing Fire? Prices are really good right now. :lol-2::mrgreen2::lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am talking about shopping in general when we are on vacation. I may buy a tee-shirt or cap for hubby but that's normally it. I am not into trinkets or fashion. These expedition cruises on Silversea cruises are expensive, more than 50k each. At this point in our lives, it is more about visiting places we haven't seen before.

All 5 CBIs are real, but Queen Pari was a bargain, lol. So when are you upgrading yours @Dancing Fire? Prices are really good right now. :lol-2::mrgreen2::lol:
I spoke with Wink this afternoon and he said ....you still haven't wired him the money for my upgrade ...;(

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewels yes. Everything else no!

Hehe so it depends on what you are referring to! I am positively angelic when it comes to everything else but I will go to Gem Hell for all my jewellery shopping!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know.

For me shopping is a hobby that I enjoy. I don't spend beyond my means but I do buy things I do not need nor will ever use so maybe yes I do have a problem. But it is better than other things done to excess such as drinking, eating or doing drugs.

I shop as a diversion when I am sad or stressed. I shop when I am happy too though. So do I have a problem? I shop less now than when I was in my twenties and thirties that's for sure so maybe I am exhibiting more self control?

All I can say with certainty is I shop within my means and never risk our financial stability with spending too much. So if you look at it that way no there is no problem. But buying too much stuff is a problem of sorts. I am much better now but occasionally do lapse. Having 2 homes makes this even more challenging because I like to have double of everything. At least. Some of my backups have backups. :wink2:

In my heart I am a minimalist. That is the truth.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
41834DC4-49BE-429C-937A-024FEEB26451.jpeg 04E4CF1A-87AB-4D34-889F-FD82B1BCC1F2.jpeg Most definately.
I’m a collector and a forager. My thing is to seek out bargains and/or complete or increase my various “collections”. Some collections have been a work in progress for 40 years.
I set myself certain challenges and work on fulfilling them. My most recent, and long standing completed challenge was a big aquamarine ring under $1,000. That took 15 years. Another completed challenge was larger size opal earrings under $500. That also took about 10 years.
I have no “outstanding jewellery” acquisition challenges. If you saw just how much stuff I have you’d agree no more is necessary.
My ceramic collections include Clarice Cliff, Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre, Lalique, Carlton Ware Moonlit Cameo, and any Rouge background vases from 1920s to 1940s. I collect vintage watches, I collect vintage compacts with watches or music boxes. I collect small size travel clocks. I collect Japanese Puzzle boxes, I collect gem / mineral specimens, I collect way way too much.
My current search is for a white gold or platinum diamond brooch. I bought a diamond bracelet that is too short so I want to extend it by placing a brooch into it. My budget is $500 and it has to look impressive.
sounds fabulous
do i mind if i ask how you display your Carlton ware ?
i got a bit carried away the last two years ...
it got very addictive
but the carlton ware reminds me of my grandma and mum got rid of grandma's because she didn't like it
i especially like the lettuce and tomatos which i think were an Australian design - but that's what grandma had
i thought about mounting it on mass on the wall - up and over a door way - maybe the big door way into the kitchen
of course it got obsessive and i have lots of flower pieces - i love the foxgloves

along the same lines
my other half by accident broke a big glass plate i had of the Queen and Duke from their first NZ tour
i searched out a replacement....
now in the guest bedroom i have an entire china cabinet of commerative royal cups and saucers
the other half says 'who is going to drink all these cups of tea in the middle of the night?'

while i was shopping for the carlton wear and the royal plate i found a whole lot of other little pieces, now there isnt room for my still to be unpacked good china !
but mum lost a lot of little pretty bits and pieces in the big Christchurch earthquake

in the end i must almost have to confess i brought way too much stuff and spent a wee bit too much money

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results